Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:00 AM

582 posts, read 763,367 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

After a long exhausting search for an apt, I think I found one in a walk up building but there is no stove.

I asked the landlord if they could get me a stove and the answer was no. At first, I thought it was illegal but after I did some research, I found out that landlords are NOT required to provide kitchen applicances.

I am a bit worried about my electric bill. I plan on buying an electric stove and/or an oven.

How much should I expect to pay for electricity if I cook light meals, let us say, once or twice a day for one person. I will probably use an electric kettle for tea and coffee.

If you have had a similar experience, I would appreciate if you share any advice or tips. how much do you pay for your electric bill? also, what are some good recommendation for energy saving electric stoves? was it an ok experience?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Hi guys,

After a long exhausting search for an apt, I think I found one in a walk up building but there is no stove.

I asked the landlord if they could get me a stove and the answer was no. At first, I thought it was illegal but after I did some research, I found out that landlords are NOT required to provide kitchen applicances.

I am a bit worried about my electric bill. I plan on buying an electric stove and/or an oven.

How much should I expect to pay for electricity if I cook light meals, let us say, once or twice a day for one person. I will probably use an electric kettle for tea and coffee.

If you have had a similar experience, I would appreciate if you share any advice or tips. how much do you pay for your electric bill? also, what are some good recommendation for energy saving electric stoves? was it an ok experience?

Thank you!
I wouldn't worry about it. I have an electric stove and I cook sometimes two or three times a day, but the key thing is to have energy efficient appliances! All of my appliances are brand new, and even the lighting that I use is energy efficient. That means that my bills have been around $44 quite a few times this year. I have a laptop, an iPad and of course a cell phone that I juice up as needed along with a SONY Bravia TV, so with all of that in mind, it's been very good. I usually keep my TV running at night and keep a floor lamp on too.

You should expect to pay at least $500 for a stove though. I'm sure mine was at least that or more as it is a stainless steel. If you buy a white one though it'll be cheaper, but you may pay more in electric depending on how energy efficient it is, so I'd buy a new one for sure.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I have an electric stove and I cook sometimes two or three times a day, but the key thing is to have energy efficient appliances! All of my appliances are brand new, and even the lighting that I use is energy efficient. That means that my bills have been around $44 quite a few times this year. I have a laptop, an iPad and of course a cell phone that I juice up as needed along with a SONY Bravia TV, so with all of that in mind, it's been very good. I usually keep my TV running at night and keep a floor lamp on too.

You should expect to pay at least $500 for a stove though. I'm sure mine was at least that or more as it is a stainless steel. If you buy a white one though it'll be cheaper, but you may pay more in electric depending on how energy efficient it is, so I'd buy a new one for sure.
Oh yes, I will buy a new one. But $500 for a stove? what brand is that? I am looking for recommendations. I was looking at hot plates on amazon and they run for about $100.
so with you cooking twice a day and charging your phone and laptops, etc, your electric bill comes to $44 a month? that is not bad at all.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Oh yes, I will buy a new one. But $500 for a stove? what brand is that? I am looking for recommendations. I was looking at hot plates on amazon and they run for about $100.
so with you cooking twice a day and charging your phone and laptops, etc, your electric bill comes to $44 a month? that is not bad at all.
Well yeah, when the apartment was renovated, everything was put in new, so for $1600 for a studio you would expect such things.

It's an Avanti stove... ~$500.00 is as cheap as I've seen them. They go up to around $600+ when you add the taxes, etc. for the stainless steel models. I'm guessing you'll need something compact if it's a studio, so those work very well. I also roast and bake veggies, etc. a lot too and it hasn't been an issue.

That said, I am not home for long periods of time during the week, as I usually get home late, so most of my cooking pertains to dinner during the week if I don't do take out or Whole Foods. Lots of cooking on weekends though for sure, as I enjoy it. Usually breakfast or brunch and then a lunch and/or dinner depending on how hungry I am. In the mornings though I may cook lunch if I don't make enough leftovers from dinner, otherwise I just pick up lunch from Le Pain Quotidien or Pret or something.

I am also not including what your bill would look like with AC, so keep that in mind. If the place is drafty in the winter, you will need something to warm up the place, so bills can be higher for those reasons.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:33 AM

965 posts, read 1,114,064 times
Add $30 - $40 for AC charges during the brutal months. My highest bill was $80. During months with no AC it's between $40 and $50.

I may not have an electric stove, but my gaming usage (Nintendo Switch and laptop) is probably around the same kilowatt hours as the stove which shows in billing.

The Energy Star Ratings really matter!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Well yeah, when the apartment was renovated, everything was put in new, so for $1600 for a studio you would expect such things.

It's an Avanti stove... ~$500.00 is as cheap as I've seen them. They go up to around $600+ when you add the taxes, etc. for the stainless steel models. I'm guessing you'll need something compact if it's a studio, so those work very well. I also roast and bake veggies, etc. a lot too and it hasn't been an issue.

That said, I am not home for long periods of time during the week, as I usually get home late, so most of my cooking pertains to dinner during the week if I don't do take out or Whole Foods. Lots of cooking on weekends though for sure, as I enjoy it. Usually breakfast or brunch and then a lunch and/or dinner depending on how hungry I am. In the mornings though I may cook lunch if I don't make enough leftovers from dinner, otherwise I just pick up lunch from Le Pain Quotidien or Pret or something.

I am also not including what your bill would look like with AC, so keep that in mind. If the place is drafty in the winter, you will need something to warm up the place, so bills can be higher for those reasons.
Thank you! I will look into energy saving appliances.

Of course A/C would add to the bill. I won't get one as the summer is almost over so I don't worry about it now.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:35 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
If it's just you and maybe a guest or two, I'd recommend a counter-top convection oven. They're like big toaster ovens but work great for pretty much anything. My family used one for about two years at one point and it did not make a huge difference in the electric bill.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Add $30 - $40 for AC charges during the brutal months. My highest bill was $80. During months with no AC it's between $40 and $50.

I may not have an electric stove, but my gaming usage (Nintendo Switch and laptop) is probably around the same kilowatt hours as the stove which shows in billing.

Yeah that sounds about right for one person, as my bill has been that some months for sure. My apartment can get a tad drafty late at night when it's brutally cold out (I mean whose apartment doesn't) since I have balcony doors, so when it's really wind out (I'm talking during the periods when it was 10 degrees outside), I have to put on extra heat here and there, but otherwise $40-50 for one person is about right with energy efficient appliances, and as I said, I keep my TV running often times overnight along with a floor lamp too, or I turn on the balcony light outside.

I have one of these thermostats by the bathroom to supposedly regulate the heat. The problem is we get too much of it in the morning while taking a shower and not enough at night. It's something we've been on our super about in fact, so hopefully this year he gets it right!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:43 AM

965 posts, read 1,114,064 times
Quote:
Yeah that sounds about right for one person, as my bill has been that some months for sure. My apartment can get a tad drafty late at night when it's brutally cold out (I mean whose apartment doesn't) since I have balcony doors, so when it's really wind out (I'm talking during the periods when it was 10 degrees outside), I have to put on extra heat here and there, but otherwise $40-50 for one person is about right with energy efficient appliances, and as I said, I keep my TV running often times overnight along with a floor lamp too, or I turn on the balcony light outside.

I have one of these thermostats by the bathroom to supposedly regulate the heat. The problem is we get too much of it in the morning while taking a shower and not enough at night. It's something we've been on our super about in fact, so hopefully this year he gets it right!

This kind of stuff is interesting to me. We've come a long way with energy use and efficiency. You can literally get away with leaving your TV on 24/7 and pay just shy of a few dollars more. That's how little they sap.

The TV in my living room is rated $20 a ($1.66 a month) year for 6 hours of use everyday. Even at double, that's only $3 a month. The killer of electricity in any home is the damn refrigerator. Turn that sucker off and your bills will be cut in half.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post

Thank you! I will definitely pay attention to the energy star ratings.
I use my computer a lot when I get home from work. Probably, 4-5 hours a day.
I don't play games though, I don't know if that would make any difference in terms of electricity usage.
And of course my cell phone, and any kitchen appliances that I might use (an electric kettle and a stove).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City