Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,230,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post

The hum of the AC actually helps me sleep. It's going to be weird once it gets too cool to keep it running. I'm gonna have to fall asleep to 10 hours of AC on YouTube.

10 hours of Thunderstorm put me into a deep sleep so fast, I had to stop because I became too reliant on it. I am a mess.
I use this sound machine. https://www.soundofsleep.com/product/soundsleep/

Its pretty good. I use it year round. In summer with that and the AC its very nice. Sadly it doesn't drowned out bass though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 08:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
I went with the GE 6,600 BTU for both rooms, and Summer #2, not so bad. I could've went with the 12,000 BTU but I was hard pressed on spending $1,000 on one AC. I spent $1350 in total for two AC's, delivery and installation, plus $10 tip per AC. Like wtf, the lease had listed only 5 models (all General Electric) that were "compatible" with the sleeve yet, some people in my building have other (cheaper) brands.

Mine were through-the-wall, and compared to the Window ones, they're more than 3x as expensive. WHYYYYY?!

Their condensers must be bigger and deeper to allow air to flow in thorough AND out of the back surface alone. So the units are larger and heavier = $$$$.
Plus retailers know that you must have an exact fit so they have you by the short and curlies.

Two smaller units would have suited me too, BUT my co-op charges a $15 monthly fee PER AIR CONDITIONER x 12 months to cover electricity costs. So one big unit costs half as much as two.

I am the world's best shopper and after careful research I found a through the wall 12,000 BTU Fedder's <I guess properly Fedder's/Airtemp because Fedder's had gone belly up by then.> IN APRIL, 2011 (important) from VentingDIrect.com for $399 with no shipping cost if I spent $499 total so I bought a good Air King fan and a humidifier for Winter: NO SHIPPING CHARGE and NO TAX. Over the course of the next few months the unit went up $200 until they sold out.

My regret: I could have gotten a 14K unit for a lousy $50 more with identical dimensions to perfectly fit the sleeve. THe extra 2,000 BTU's would have been welcome this Summer.

It has been 8 Summers <knock wood> and she is still working fine although I really need to run the unit 24/7 to keep the bedroom cool enough. (I use 3 fans to route the air into the bedroom.)

Mounting by myself was hard on my back but thank God the sleeve is only 4 inches from the floor. THe fit was almost perfect but still I slid in pieces of foam for an airtight fit.

I hope this unit outlives me.

I priced PC Richards and comparable units cost twice what I paid.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-08-2018 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-08-2018, 11:26 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,020,926 times
Both the thermostat and the A/C in winter and summer respectively I set to 68.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:03 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Survived the hottest days in N.Y. of those 2 separate weeks this summer.
Star Efficient A.C. purchased 3 years ago.
Set to 76 days and 78 nights round the clock on energy savings mode.
Kept the house nice and cool and comfortable.
Just paid my first electric bill which accounted for that first hot week. $160 bucks.
Waiting for that second bill. So far? Very surprised . Woo...hoo....

Old 09-09-2018, 08:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
65ish while sleeping, 70ish during the day

I think my thermostat is broken, because my apartment definitely doesn't go down to 66 or 70. The air blows out cold for a while, then the thermostat THINKS it's that temperature and it shuts off but it's still pretty warm everywhere except 3 inches from the vet

That is because the thermostat is IN the AC box where it is always colder than your room. That is why so many of us report setting the temperature lower than what we really wanrt...to keep the compressor running.
An online friend (Canadian) told me that HIS thermostat is inside the remote control unit (cool) and thus accurately judges the temperature in the ROOM.
I am not sure I believe him without seeing this for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: