Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 06:29 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Have you or your associates running around like crazy looking for a restroom when you were out sightseeing or running errands in crowded parts of the town that no business is willing to allow you use it? It is particularly an issue when you are out with young kids who are not good at timing "it"...

How do you deal with this urgency? I was going to propose to BdeB that NYC installs dollar-restrooms at every other street corner to make NYC a better place while raking some additional $$$. Do you like the idea?
https://viewing.nyc/brooklyn-man-goe...ntent-warning/
Problem solved!

Love this video. It's so New York City ...down to the Hassid riding the bicycle on the sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 07:43 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,020,926 times
Well, it's a cost to have restaurants, which are otherwise privately owned - to accommodate the public's bathroom needs. It's bad enough having to pay for toilet paper and hand wash.

I've had the need to have to go while out in public - and it's terrible not to be able to find someplace. What I do is either ask a hotel reception (these are usually the best), or go to a bar, order a drink and quickly use the rest room before my drink comes.

One day, I had to go in an emergency while on the A train going from 125th street to 59th street. That's one hell of a long ride to be cooped up while having to go. I thought I was going to DIE! I finally got out at 59th street, about to explode, mind you, and went to a nearby hotel. It was heaven seeing many clean available stalls!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:51 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Any major department store or supermarket for the daytime and any bar for nighttime (and daytime for that matter too). Those types of establishments you can easily walk in and use the bathroom.

I think it’s a drawback that the city doesn’t have many public restrooms.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:48 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Any major department store or supermarket for the daytime and any bar for nighttime (and daytime for that matter too). Those types of establishments you can easily walk in and use the bathroom.

I think it’s a drawback that the city doesn’t have many public restrooms.
Hey if you can find them, the homeless/junkies can find them as well. That's probably part of the reason there are not many public restrooms in the city.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 AM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
To be honest, this really isnt much of a problem for the average New Yorker unless you work in the field or you have a bladder problem, if you really think about it.

Unless you're just aimlessly walking in the street for a few hours and decided you needed to go.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-07-2018, 10:00 AM

5,096 posts, read 4,956,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
https://viewing.nyc/brooklyn-man-goe...ntent-warning/
Problem solved!

Love this video. It's so New York City ...down to the Hassid riding the bicycle on the sidewalk.

New York has got some weird talents...he was amazingly calm about it, wonder if he is mentally ill. thank god that the majority of us don't meet the need in such a casual manner.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
You know what the 2 MAJOR problems are? (1) ADA, (2) Degenerate A'holes

(1) The ADA says that all bathrooms must have a disabled option. Do you see any space in NYC streets for wheel chair access?

(2) Any fast food restaurant worker will tell you that having human feces smeared all over the bathroom and intentional missing the toilet is a regular occurrence.

Who wants to volunteer to clean up?? C'mon people, show some hands...

Old 09-07-2018, 10:07 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
No. And living in Honolulu where there is a major public bathroom problem, I count myself as very, very fortunate when back in NYC. Indeed, unlike Honolulu, dining establishments in NYC (in operation after 1977 I believe) are required to have public restrooms. This applies to even fast food restaurants; you won't believe how many fast food restaurants here in Honolulu don't have public restrooms! Even if you're not allowed to use the restaurant at a dining establishment because you're not a paying customer, you can order a small item or there are plenty of actual public restrooms around I've found.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:08 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You know what the 2 MAJOR problems are? (1) ADA, (2) Degenerate A'holes

(1) The ADA says that all bathrooms must have a disabled option. Do you see any space in NYC streets for wheel chair access?

(2) Any fast food restaurant worker will tell you that having human feces smeared all over the bathroom and intentional missing the toilet is a regular occurrence.

Who wants to volunteer to clean up?? C'mon people, show some hands...
There's a grandfathered clause in the ADA, though. Most public bathrooms that are ADA compliant I've found to have adequate access for limited mobility individuals.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:11 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There's a grandfathered clause in the ADA, though. Most public bathrooms that are ADA compliant I've found to have adequate access for limited mobility individuals.
We are most definitely not talking about grandfathered bathrooms here. We are talking about why they don't add more bathrooms and those are subject to the full extent of the American for Disabilities Act which makes no sense whatsoever in a megapolis like NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City