Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 01:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That's cool if lots of Spaniards and Latinos who discover they have Sephardic heritage, their families were conversos or marranos, or whatever, want to convert to Judaism.

But not if they want to use their newfound Jewish identity for political gain.

And now if they want to use it to bash Israel.
That I agree with. Now if she just said was Jewish to win an election, well that's certainly doesn't seem to be working out well in the press for her.

I don't know her personally so I won't speculate on her motives.

She certainly did leave a lot of things half finished, such as her education (no degree from Columbia), etc. She should probably get her life more in order before running for politics.

I do think she has a screwed up family, because her brother undercut her in a way that will most likely make her lose. Not that I think it's okay to lie, but for a family member to come out against a family member when she's running for office?

Yes, she's American. But if she wanted to refer to herself as working class or immigrant, I saw no reason for her brother to make comments to the contrary regardless of how she grew up. It seems like he's trying to sabotage her.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
All 48 million Spaniards and 400 million Latinos all have Sephardic heritage?
Look at the 5200 qualifying Sephardic last names on the list dude. All the ez and es names are there like Perez, Lopez, etc. Remember Spain and Portugal were 20% Jewish, so force a big chunk of those people to convert 500 years ago and force them to assimilate. So yes pretty much the vast majority of Iberians and Latinos would have a Sephardic ancestor.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Look at the 5200 qualifying Sephardic last names on the list dude. All the ez and es names are there like Perez, Lopez, etc. Remember Spain and Portugal were 20% Jewish, so force a big chunk of those people to convert 500 years ago and force them to assimilate. So yes pretty much the vast majority of Iberians and Latinos would have a Sephardic ancestor.
I disagree. Especially since jews in Spain were a small minority. Also it depends where in Spain did thr jews assimilate. Catalonia and basque regions are devoid of jews. Jews of Spain mainly lived in the southern regions with the Muslims. I highly doubt nearly all Spanish people have Jewish ancestry. If that is the case all Germans, Russians, Latvians, Estonians, Ukrainians, Asian Russians all have Ashkenazi heritage.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
That's cool if lots of Spaniards and Latinos who discover they have Sephardic heritage, their families were conversos or marranos, or whatever, want to convert to Judaism.

I've known rabbis who work the conversos who wish to convert to Judaism and who wish to learn Hebrew, etc.

Some of these people have even immigrated to Israel after their Orthodox conversions.

So what Salazar should have said is that her origin is converso or marrano. The families like mine that have some Jewish ancestry but did not maintain Judaism and are not Jewish by halacha.

That's what I tell people when the react to my getting Spanish citizenship via partial Sephardic ancestry. I'm technically a converso or crypto Jew (another term used to describe families of partial Jewish descent who didn't maintain the religion.

So Salazar should have said she was a converso who CONVERTED to Judaism. She certainly is not good at explaining things.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I disagree. Especially since jews in Spain were a small minority. Also it depends where in Spain did thr jews assimilate. Catalonia and basque regions are devoid of jews. Jews of Spain mainly lived in the southern regions with the Muslims. I highly doubt nearly all Spanish people have Jewish ancestry. If that is the case all Germans, Russians, Latvians, Estonians, Ukrainians, Asian Russians all have Ashkenazi heritage.
According to the Jews in the old synagogue in Barcelona, 70% of Catalonia's Jews were forcibly converted to Catholicism 100 years before the Inquisition. Barcelona has a Jewish quarters. Girona, Catalonia has a Jewish quarters too. Madrid has an old Jewish quarters. So you're pretty wrong about Jews all living in Southern Spain when one can VISIT old synagogues and old Jewish quarters throughout Spain and Portugal.

Toledo is in Central Spain, and there are two synagoges left over from pre Inquisition.

Off the 5200 last names used as evidence of Jewish ancestry, pretty much everyone Latino has them in their family tree at some point.

This is something unique to the Spanish and Portuguese speaking world, but pretty much any Latino who can trace his family history and who has sufficient resources for the process can get Portuguese or Spanish citizenship via Sephardic heritage.

Before the Inquisition, Jews lived in the Iberian peninsula for well over 1000 years. The first Jews were recorded during the Roman Empire.

Now as this is not the Jewish history form and I don't want to keep giving lessons on this, if you want to read more I will privately send you links and I will privately send you links of the old synagogues and Jewish quarters and heritage sites throughout the Iberian peninsula, especially parts further north like Catalonia.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:44 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Quote:
For the sake of trying to determine possible Sephardic descent I suppose its better to maximize the possible numbers of those wbo are potentially descendents of Sephardic Jews. So one widens the nets of who could bave be a Seephardic descendant and one can use these surnames tbat bad a high rate of Jewish usage in Spain. Over hundreds of years the records and family lore has long been lossed for perhaps the majority of persons who were actually truely of Jewish descent. So the approach I guess by these Iberian Rabbis is to be open to all Latinos who come forth. However, mathematically it is not possible that so many Latinos and Iberian people are actually descendants of Sephardic Jews. Could be wrong but perhaps DNA tests will proove me wrong. But I am a Perez on both sides, so who knows.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:

But even if a minority view, not all Jews support all what Isreal does. I love Israel, think its a plus to tbe world. I respect tbat in tbe Israeli parliament tbere are so many diferent positions. In Israel Jews bave positions on both extremes. So lets say I felt moved to be Jewish because I embrace G-d, the Hebrew scriptures, tradition. and love of ethical behavior does not mean I would not be critical of things you support. Might happen because I would have had a lifetime of not being part of tbe culture. Wouldnt make me a oportunist or bad. Yet. In reality most converts are annoying and will try to be more Catholic tben the Pope, lol. Just saying. This woman migbt be clueless and an opurtunist. I am talking in tb3 broadest sense about the dynamics of religious conversion.

Last edited by bxlover; 09-12-2018 at 06:24 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
For the sake of trying to determine possible Sephardic descent I suppose its better to maximize the possible numbers of those wbo are potentially descendents of Sephardic Jews. So one widens the nets of who could bave be a Seephardic descendant and one can use these surnames tbat bad a high rate of Jewish usage in Spain. Over hundreds of years the records and family lore has long been lossed for perhaps the majority of persons who were actually truely of Jewish descent. So the approach I guess by these Iberian Rabbis is to be open to all Latinos who come forth. However, mathematically it is not possible that so many Latinos and Iberian people are actually descendants of Sephardic Jews. Could be wrong but perhaps DNA tests will proove me wrong. But I am a Perez on both sides, so who knows.
Bingo! There are other indications they look at besides the last name, but really the last name is among the most important determining factor. Of course there are issues not just with record loss but when you're threatening to cut people's heads off or burn them at the stake if they do anything Jewish, people will go out of their way not to leave anything Jewish.

Since this happened over 500 years ago, one's Jewish ancestry could be so distant it doesn't show up on DNA tests. So they really don't use DNA as the determining factor though it can be a supplemental factor. Applicants have to start out by getting a name report. If there's evidence of Sephardic people in the part of Puerto Rico where you're from, that along with the name Perez along with other supplemental evidence would be enough for you get a letter from the relevant rabbis.

No one is really going to be able to make sense of the math, this started over 5 centuries ago. But if you count over 500 years and consider the fact that Spain and Portugal were 20% Jewish, it's certainly possible that the vast majority of Latinos have a Jewish ancestor.

Keep in mind many people who are Jewish by halacha can't trace back their family history 500 years ago. It's not like they had computers and wars and natural disasters destroyed a lot of things.

Italian Jews or Italians with Jewish last name can also get either Spanish or Portuguese citizenship as Spain controlled big parts of Italy and therefore Jews in Italy suffered at the hands of the Spanish Inquisition.

The other reason why they cast a net this wide is what they did was so horrible in terms of forcing Jews to convert, killing them, or exiling them is they are in large part responsible for a serious reduction in the population of practicing Jews and for forcing them to assimilate into the general population. It would have be doubly cruel of those governments to insist on "normative" Jews, as they would be locking out the majority of the descendants of the victims of the Inquisition.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 PM

I happen to have a brother in law and two nephews with the Surname Denis. His family thru his paternal line who are sephardic, they were practicing Jews in their family but now they are all Pentecostal. I have known Mexican Jews, practicing reformed Jews, and many others Puerto Ricans tbat are Sephardic. Yet, for me, unless I believed in Judaism as a faith I would never pursue that. Puerto Ricans can pursue Spanish citizenship by proving evidence of some form of descent of Spanish immigrants a few generations ago, I believe. Yet, I am not interested. Spain is not my country.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Bingo! There are other indications they look at besides the last name, but really the last name is among the most important determining factor. Of course there are issues not just with record loss but when you're threatening to cut people's heads off or burn them at the stake if they do anything Jewish, people will go out of their way not to leave anything Jewish.

Since this happened over 500 years ago, one's Jewish ancestry could be so distant it doesn't show up on DNA tests. So they really don't use DNA as the determining factor though it can be a supplemental factor. Applicants have to start out by getting a name report. If there's evidence of Sephardic people in the part of Puerto Rico where you're from, that along with the name Perez along with other supplemental evidence would be enough for you get a letter from the relevant rabbis.

No one is really going to be able to make sense of the math, this started over 5 centuries ago. But if you count over 500 years and consider the fact that Spain and Portugal were 20% Jewish, it's certainly possible that the vast majority of Latinos have a Jewish ancestor.

Keep in mind many people who are Jewish by halacha can't trace back their family history 500 years ago. It's not like they had computers and wars and natural disasters destroyed a lot of things.

Italian Jews or Italians with Jewish last name can also get either Spanish or Portuguese citizenship as Spain controlled big parts of Italy and therefore Jews in Italy suffered at the hands of the Spanish Inquisition.

The other reason why they cast a net this wide is what they did was so horrible in terms of forcing Jews to convert, killing them, or exiling them is they are in large part responsible for a serious reduction in the population of practicing Jews and for forcing them to assimilate into the general population. It would have be doubly cruel of those governments to insist on "normative" Jews, as they would be locking out the majority of the descendants of the victims of the Inquisition.
According to the nyt. 11 prevent of Spanish persons have Jewish DNA. You said that the majority of Spain is Jewish DNA. Why are you trying to bamboozle us?

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/05/science/05genes.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City