Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,684,525 times

Advertisements

SHE IS NOT AN IMMIGRANT.

Period.

How many languages must it be said in?

Her website also stated she is the daughter of working class immigrants. Her mom was born here and is not even Hispanic! This girl had a cushy life growing up with a father who was a pilot making six figures and who built a palatial home on the water in Florida.

She may very well have Jewish ancestry from hundreds of years ago, but that does not make her a Jew.

Edit: lol now you’re a Sephardic Jew too? Thought you were just “a black dude.” Or is there aome super secret cabal of black people who are also Sephardim? Lol

Old 09-08-2018, 06:44 AM

Lol now it has come out that she had a trust with 600k in it: https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comment...r_claimed_she/

Waaaaahhhh, poor kid!!

Old 09-08-2018, 09:09 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Lol now it has come out that she had a trust with 600k in it: https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comment...r_claimed_she/

Waaaaahhhh, poor kid!!
Wow

Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You did not see me endorse her as candidate or even say anything about the rest of her statements. I just said as the daughter of an immigrant she had every right to call herself an immigrant and as person who is part Sephardic descent she does have the right to call herself Jewish. I don’t care either way if she wins and I am not registered to vote in her district.

And I answered in part because I got Spanish citizenship due to being part Sephardic. There’s a lot people in this forum don’t know, and ethnicity here gets cartoonishly simplified.
Someone who is of part Sephardic, or Ashkenazi, Jewish descent does not, in fact, have the right to call themselves Jewish.

Only someone with a Jewish mother, or someone who underwent an Orthodox conversion, has the right to call themselves Jewish

One can get Spanish citizenship due to Sephardic ancestry, but still doesn't make someone a Jew.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:40 AM

Totally agreed. Though I have read she converted so if that is true then she is a practicing Jew, but let's not pretend that she grew up Jewish.

Julia decided she wanted to become Jewish because she was told her last name was Jewish and that she may have had Sephardic ancestry waaaay back. That's like wanting to become Native American because you've heard family lore that you have a 16x grandparent who was a Cherokee.

I don't begrudge her for finding spirituality and a religion that she likes, but for her to go around parading her Jewish ancestry is disingenuous just like she is saying she was poor and an immigrant and that her mom was an immigrant (she was not).

Old 09-08-2018, 10:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Someone who is of part Sephardic, or Ashkenazi, Jewish descent does not, in fact, have the right to call themselves Jewish.

Only someone with a Jewish mother, or someone who underwent an Orthodox conversion, has the right to call themselves Jewish

One can get Spanish citizenship due to Sephardic ancestry, but still doesn't make someone a Jew.
Legally in Spain and in Portugal they/we are Jewish and it is placed on our birth certificates. You just have to have partial Sephardic ancestry.

In part because of the forced conversions, for obvious reasons these governments could not issue a Jewish right of return and insist on unbroken maternal lines. In part because the broken maternal lines/family lines in general are due to the persecution of the Spanish and Portuguese empires not just in Europe, but in the Americas as well.

And really, the crypto-Jew, converso, anuism (those of partial Sephardic descent) designation is huge in Latin America. It has nothing to do with Ashkenazi such as yourself, and none of these people seek or require the approval of Polish people who think they own Judaism when they are a minority in terms of the world population of people of Jewish descent. This is between them/us and various elements in Latin America, Portugal, Spain, and to a lesser extent Israel itself.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 09-08-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-08-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
SHE IS NOT AN IMMIGRANT.

Period.

How many languages must it be said in?

Her website also stated she is the daughter of working class immigrants. Her mom was born here and is not even Hispanic! This girl had a cushy life growing up with a father who was a pilot making six figures and who built a palatial home on the water in Florida.

She may very well have Jewish ancestry from hundreds of years ago, but that does not make her a Jew.

Edit: lol now you’re a Sephardic Jew too? Thought you were just “a black dude.” Or is there aome super secret cabal of black people who are also Sephardim? Lol
Most African Americans have European ancestry, and it was you and certain whites for the convenience of US politics who decided that I'm just a "Black" dude. When I have never claimed to be 100% Black.

There isn't a secret cabal of Black people who are part Sephardim. In all of the slave owning societies in the Americas, there were Jewish slaveowners and planters who knocked up their maids/slaves. For this reason my last name is Jewish, and this is how many Blacks throughout the Americans have their last names (via a white male ancestor). This of course people like yourself pretend not to know, but it is well documented in history.

There are lots of people with Black and Jewish parents (not my case) as well. And of course, people like me . who have Jewish ancestry further back.

Lots of Native or Black people throughout the Americas are part Sephardic, and they have done DNA analysis as well as historical research.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Totally agreed. Though I have read she converted so if that is true then she is a practicing Jew, but let's not pretend that she grew up Jewish.

Julia decided she wanted to become Jewish because she was told her last name was Jewish and that she may have had Sephardic ancestry waaaay back. That's like wanting to become Native American because you've heard family lore that you have a 16x grandparent who was a Cherokee.

I don't begrudge her for finding spirituality and a religion that she likes, but for her to go around parading her Jewish ancestry is disingenuous just like she is saying she was poor and an immigrant and that her mom was an immigrant (she was not).
Really this has nothing to do with you and is not up for you to determine. In the case of people who are part Sephardim, that is between US and the rabbis and the governments of Israel, Portugal, and Spain.

As for Native Americans, each tribe determines it's membership requirements so that is between the tribe and the individual on who is accepted by them as Native American.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:16 AM

I'm just putting this out there right now:

I 100% do not believe you a) have Spanish citizenship and b) are of even partially Jewish ancestry. Your story changes pretty much every time you post.

As someone who is actually Jewish (as in, my mom is Jewish, ergo I am Jewish despite being raised Catholic and having a Catholic dad) I resent someone like this "candidate" using Judaism to make herself seem more "exotic." She may have converted to Judaism and that's all well and good, but she's using it like a talking point and like a "diversity" point when what she did is akin to suddenly wanting to learn how to Fancy Dance because she found out she's 1/32 Native American.

Cue a huge eye roll from me.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:23 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:

Waaaaahhhh, poor kid!!
I'm not sure if she's having an SJW identity crisis, or if she's just being disingenuous for the sake of getting votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City