Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
They don't own it, but Ashkenazi shapes the Jewish world. Ashkenazi have a profound impact on the world, and for more impact vs Sephardi who don't. Plenty of the worlds most influential people are of Ashkenazi background such as Albert Einstein. Good for you that you used your white/Jewish background to gain access to Europe. I too with my Irish ancestry can gain Irish residency, same for Britain. I also have right to return to Guyana, as well as Brazil and Portugal. But I was born in a new land, and this new land America will be my home even though America is very hard!
And if you chose to use your Irish or British heritage to gain Irish or English citizenship, that is your right, and if you choose to get Guyanese (or perhaps you already have Guyanese citizenship) or Brazilian or Portuguese citizenships, all those are your rights to do so if you choose to.

Ashkenazi gained greater influence on the world due to the aftermath of World War II. Hitler's attempt of genocide of Jews and other groups were so horrific, and obviously many Ashkenazi fled to the US or Israel in the aftermath.

The Inquisition happened centuries ago, though it lasted for centuries and brings up some very bad things about religion. The forced conversions of Muslims and Jews, the burning of people at the stake if they got caught practicing Islam or Judaism, the expulsions, etc. It's only been recently the aftermath of the Inquisition has started to be addressed by the Spanish and Portuguese speaking world.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
[quote=bxlover;53033660]
Quote:
I read both Jordan Peterson and Sam Harris. Both agree that Identity Politics is dangerous. I agree with both of these men, especially for the times we are in where people who have become increasingly Trible use identity politics on a daily basis to reap rewards. Salazar has converted to Judiasm. We can not knock her for that. With her having Jewish roots is questionable especially since majority of Spanish European population in the new world is from the Basque region, and from Extremadura which void of Jews before 1492. Andalusia is a different story which is known for its Islamic and Jewish population. But with that said, she is identifying with Jews so that she can gain votes. The reason why she is identifying with Jews? To gain votes of Jews, and Jews vote in high numbers. Like I said before, to win some elections in NYC, one needs to win key segments of the population. 1/4 of the city is black American and 1/4 is Jewish. That is 50% of the vote. Why do you think such politicians pander at the synagogue on Saturday, and to that black church on Sunday. If I was running for politics in certain districts, ill run to Jewish synagogues and black churches on a regular basis. Sadly I'm no fan of identity politics and ill abstain from doing such and try to campaign from the heart.

I don't think this women is nuts, its just that she is using Identity politics which is now causing problems, and identity politics may cause democrats to loose further more seats. Identity politics is big in NYC especially amongst women, blacks, Jews, academia and so forth, however voting someone based on sex and race will not bring about real change for other demographics, or having real equality.

Even me for example, a man that is a descendent of immigrants. I to pride myself as an American, but as a society we have become so tribal, people like to make note of ones immigrant background. I had whites and black people tell me I'm still an immigrant even though I was born here. I accept their statements, but you white and black folks don't get mad when immigrants surpass your wealth.[/QUOTE
Your wrong about the Basques. They are not the largest source of Spanish to the New World. I shut off after that.
That's was really a part of my point. A lot of "ethnic" people get called foreigner and immigrant even if they were born here and lived all their lives. For that reason alone the child of an immigrant has the right to call themselves an immigrant if they chose too.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:06 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
[quote=Bronxguyanese;53033694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post

The basque are one of the largest groups. Names like Garcia and Ortiz are basque origin.
That is what you make your claim on ? Smh. My fathers Spanish ancestors were Basque in Puerto Rico. Basques are not the largest source of Spaniards to make it to the New World. My mothers ancestory in Puerto Rico came from Galicea and that group sent more then the Basques to the New World then the Basques. Majority of Spanish Surnames in the Americas is from Castilla and the South.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
[quote=bxlover;53033760]
Quote:

That is what you make your claim on ? Smh. My fathers Spanish ancestors were Basque in Puerto Rico. Basques are not the largest source of Spaniards to make it to the New World. My mothers ancestory in Puerto Rico came from Galicea and that group sent more then the Basques to the New World then the Basques. Majority of Spanish Surnames in the Americas is from Castilla and the South.
No those are just examples. I also said extrmemadura which is in thr South. You really sound butt hurt. Stop being offended. I also said Andalusia which is also in southern Spain. Many are also from Canary islands too.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:19 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
[quote=Bronxguyanese;53033817]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post

No those are just examples. I also said extrmemadura which is in thr South. You really sound anal butt hurt. Stop being offended. I also said Andalusia which is also in southern Spain. Many are also from Canary islands too.
No, I just said your wrong. Not butt burt. Not offended, not anal. Why would you feel that. Yet, you declared Basques were the largest source of Spaniards to the New World for a specific reason and now say it was also people from tbe South. So that would now contradict the point you made by mentioning the Basques. Both points cant be true.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And if you chose to use your Irish or British heritage to gain Irish or English citizenship, that is your right, and if you choose to get Guyanese (or perhaps you already have Guyanese citizenship) or Brazilian or Portuguese citizenships, all those are your rights to do so if you choose to.

Ashkenazi gained greater influence on the world due to the aftermath of World War II. Hitler's attempt of genocide of Jews and other groups were so horrific, and obviously many Ashkenazi fled to the US or Israel in the aftermath.

The Inquisition happened centuries ago, though it lasted for centuries and brings up some very bad things about religion. The forced conversions of Muslims and Jews, the burning of people at the stake if they got caught practicing Islam or Judaism, the expulsions, etc. It's only been recently the aftermath of the Inquisition has started to be addressed by the Spanish and Portuguese speaking world.
Ashkenazi had influence prior to ww2. Rothschild was very wealthy. Lehman Brothers is Jewish, Goldman Sachs is Jewish. Plenty of scientists were Jewish. Gugienhim is also a wealthy jew. All are Ashkenazi. Jews as a while group have become prominent after ww2, due to nazis and communist who are staunchly anti semitic.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:38 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Completely irrelevant. 5 countries have Jewish laws of return, and who is Jewish is determined by rabbis and by those governments.

And yes, having even distant Jewish ancestry can make you Jewish enough for immigration to three countries. Portugal, Spain, and there are partial Sephardics like Salazar who have immigrated to ISRAEL itself.

Similarly who is Jewish is determined by a rabbis, and there really isn't any set rule per say. Different Jewish organizations, even different Orthodox organizations have different metrics that they'll use.

Not by people like you.
There certainly IS a "set rule per se" (not per say) about who is Jewish.
According to Orthodox Jews, you need a Jewish mother or an Orthodox conversion to be Jewish.
For Reform Jews, you need a Jewish mother OR father, and a Reform, Conservative, OR Orthodox conversion.

Judaism and the Jewish people are FILLED with rules. It is BASED on rules/Jewish law/halacha. To say "there really isn't any rule per se" is really laughable.

Maybe you are talking about another people or religion?

It is true that one can immigrate to Israel having just one Jewish grandparent.
You could be an Israeli citizen in that case, but you would still not be considered a Jew by the state of Israel.
In Israel, to be considered a Jew, again, you need a Jewish mother or an Orthodox conversion.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:42 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
Lol, no. Shoshana... as a practicing Jew, you know nothing! You have to listen to NYWriterDude who is apprently now King Jew lol.

Btw NYwriter, the plural of Ashkenazi is Ashkenazim. Shouldn’t a Jew like you know that? ��

Old 09-08-2018, 07:43 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what you believe, I know my family history and I have all the relevant documents and yes, I am a Spanish citizen.

If I want to, I can become a Portuguese citizen and if I really want to, I can go out for Israel itself. I know all the relevant rabbis and lawyers.

My story does not change every time I post. It never changed at all. People on City Data are are closed minded bigots to the point of having extremely LOW IQs, and I have shattered every stereotype racially obsessed fools here have.

I'm definitely one of the people on this forum with the highest level of education and I graduated from two of the top universities in NY. I am African American, but like ANY African American I'm part white and I was able to use the white/Jewish part of my heritage to gain entry into the European UNION. I travel to many different places. You and some of the others here who love to bash minorities will likely never travel as much as me, have the opportunities I've had, etc.

Interestingly, citizenship is ANY European nation is by BLOOD, not by race. One can have just one Italian grandparent and three other grandparents of whatever race (Black, Asian, Native, whatever) and one can still get Italian citizenship as one is ITALIAN by Blood.

Any descendent of Germans who had their citizenship stripped by the Nazis (including, but not limited to Jew) can get GERMAN citizenship. Someone could have one German great grandparent and the 7 great grandparents can be whatever ethnicity or race, but that person by blood is descended from a German who had their citizenship STRIPPED.

Re: Spanish and Portuguese citizens, anyone with a last name on the Inquisition lists (over 5200) names if they cannot find their family records can get a NAME report from an academic certifying their last name is on inquisition lists, and that's enough for certain rabbis to sign on for it to get Spanish or Portuguese citizenship.

I know the very loose definition of Jewish for Spain and Portugal kills NYC Ashkenazi like you, but get upset and go cray cray all you want to. You have no influence over what Spain or Portugal do or what even Israel does.

Oh, and by the way one does not need a Jewish mother to get Israeli citizenship. One can be married to a Jew, one can have a Jewish father or grandfather and still get Israeli citizenship. Israel itself does not give a crap on whether someone's mother is Jewish.

So of the 5 countries that have Jewish Law of Return (Poland does to for Holocaust survivors and their descendants) not ONE of them REQUIRES someone's mother be JEWISH.

NYC Ashkenazi don't own Judaism, and what Latin American Sephardim do, and what Spain and Portugal do has NOTHING to do with you people. Nothing at all.
Now you are sounding very ignorant. And it sounds like you have some kind of vendetta against Ashkenazi Jews.

If anything, most Sephardic Jews are MORE strict about "who is a Jew" than most Ashkenazi Jews.

And even if you get Israeli citizenship (for which you would need 1 Jewish grandparent), Israel certainly DOES give a crap about who is a Jew or not.

If you have Israeli citizenship but are not a Jew, you cannot legally marry a Jew in Israel. (You may not be able to marry a Muslim or a Christian either, the reason being that all marriage in Israel is religious. So no rabbi, imam, and possibly no priest or minister would marry you in Israel).

You can also not be buried in a Jewish cemetery in Israel if you are not halachically a Jew (according to Jewish law).

This is just the beginning of problems that would happen in Israel.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:45 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Now you are sounding very ignorant. And it sounds like you have some kind of vendetta against Ashkenazi Jews.

If anything, most Sephardic Jews are MORE strict about "who is a Jew" than most Ashkenazi Jews.

And even if you get Israeli citizenship (for which you would need 1 Jewish grandparent), Israel certainly DOES give a crap about who is a Jew or not.

If you have Israeli citizenship but are not a Jew, you cannot legally marry a Jew in Israel. (You may not be able to marry a Muslim or a Christian either, the reason being that all marriage in Israel is religious. So no rabbi, imam, and possibly no priest or minister would marry you in Israel).

You can also not be buried in a Jewish cemetery in Israel if you are not halachically a Jew (according to Jewish law).

This is just the beginning of problems that would happen in Israel.
How do you even prove distant Jewish ancestry anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City