Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 12:35 PM

36,916 posts, read 38,826,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Before gentrification took off Bedstuy not only had better housing stock, Bedstuy had better retail including grocery stores. More affluent people were attracted to Bedstuy for that alone. Bushbuck was more industrial and with crappier housing stock and less retail options. Great for attracting new cool clubs or music places, but not the place older and more affluent people.

Of course lots of young people rent in Bedstuy as well, but you also had major renovation of existing housing stock that could attract a better crowd.
Bed-Stuy definitely has nicer housing stock overall, plus beautiful tree-lined streets, and that does attract wealthier people. However, some of the other characterizations seem off. Bushwick is somewhat more industrial probably, but remember that Bed-Stuy's borders are large and include a lot of industrial stuff in its northwestern corner and on its southern boundaries along Atlantic and some blocks in, meanwhile a lot of industrial Bushwick is also at times considered a part of Williamsburg or a wholly different neighborhood of East Williamsburg instead. It's only when you take that East Williamsburg district and consider it part of Bushwick proper, which few agencies of the city apparently do, does the statement that Bushwick is more industrial to any significant extent makes sense.

Additionally, I wouldn't say that Bed-Stuy started off with much better retail. The immigrant communities, especially the Mexican immigrant community, in Bushwick had a pretty complete set of businesses for the community that other people moving there could and did make use of (including small green grocers but not so much supermarkets) whereas Bed-Stuy had a lot more businesses that weren't really run by the community living there. The other thing is that the presence of Myrtle Avenue cutting diagonally through and the relatively cheap commercial rent (and of course, transit access) under the tracks meant there was a major commercial street for the neighborhood that supplemented and intersected with the major commercial streets of the grid it cut through.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 02:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Bed-Stuy definitely has nicer housing stock overall, plus beautiful tree-lined streets, and that does attract wealthier people. However, some of the other characterizations seem off. Bushwick is somewhat more industrial probably, but remember that Bed-Stuy's borders are large and include a lot of industrial stuff in its northwestern corner and on its southern boundaries along Atlantic and some blocks in, meanwhile a lot of industrial Bushwick is also at times considered a part of Williamsburg or a wholly different neighborhood of East Williamsburg instead. It's only when you take that East Williamsburg district and consider it part of Bushwick proper, which few agencies of the city apparently do, does the statement that Bushwick is more industrial to any significant extent makes sense.

Additionally, I wouldn't say that Bed-Stuy started off with much better retail. The immigrant communities, especially the Mexican immigrant community, in Bushwick had a pretty complete set of businesses for the community that other people moving there could and did make use of (including small green grocers but not so much supermarkets) whereas Bed-Stuy had a lot more businesses that weren't really run by the community living there. The other thing is that the presence of Myrtle Avenue cutting diagonally through and the relatively cheap commercial rent (and of course, transit access) under the tracks meant there was a major commercial street for the neighborhood that supplemented and intersected with the major commercial streets of the grid it cut through.
At least from the areas I saw in both neighborhoods 19 years ago, Bedstuy had better retail and I am including more grocery stores and pharmacies in that one. Especially around Nostrand Avenue on the A and C. Nostrand Avenue on the G train in those days already had a Home Depot and there were two grocery stores as well as and Chase nearby.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
Quote:
At least from the areas I saw in both neighborhoods 19 years ago, Bedstuy had better retail and I am including more grocery stores and pharmacies in that one. Especially around Nostrand Avenue on the A and C. Nostrand Avenue on the G train in those days already had a Home Depot and there were two grocery stores as well as and Chase nearby.
Perhaps what he is referring to regarding the Mexican grocery stores kicked off a little later, to my understanding it was the 00s when the Mexican/Ecuadorian population exploded in the neighborhood

Old 09-09-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I see. I don’t have a very good sense of what the neighborhoods were like twenty years ago because I was in neither then. My frame of reference was a decade ago.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:03 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,246,410 times
Bed-Stuy is gentrifying through suburbanization.

Bushwick is gentrifying through urban rejuvenation.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:03 PM

620 posts, read 1,066,563 times
I dont care what no one says about Bedstuy & Bushwick most of those places aree soo over rated and over prices. Bushwick looks like it got bombed out for the most party. I just cant justify tbhose 1300 one bedroom apts when you have Linda the crackwhore chilling outside. Also there are many challenges in this area now that the L is not working.

I simply don't see the justification of paying so much to live in a dump. The market seems to correcting itself in nyc so I will wait it out and see.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:05 PM

12,741 posts, read 8,164,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I dont care what no one says about Bedstuy & Bushwick most of those places aree soo over rated and over prices. Bushwick looks like it got bombed out for the most party. I just cant justify tbhose 1300 one bedroom apts when you have Linda the crackwhore chilling outside. Also there are many challenges in this area now that the L is not working.

I simply don't see the justification of paying so much to live in a dump. The market seems to correcting itself in nyc so I will wait it out and see.
LMAO... Gentrification pimps are to blame...

Old 09-09-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Yea, that’s totally reasonable and the great thing is that other people are believing the hype and putting their competing housing bids there when you want none of it, so it means that a large number of them aren’t competing with you and further driving up prices for the neighborhoods you’re actually interested in. It’s a great silver lining.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Quote:

People want to live in Brooklyn. Even 20 years ago brownstones in Bedstuy began to attract major investment just as old buildings in Bushwick got major investment.

Those neighborhoods are not dumps. In transition yes, but not dumps.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:11 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
Quote:
People want to live in Brooklyn. Even 20 years ago brownstones in Bedstuy began to attract major investment just as old buildings in Bushwick got major investment.

Those neighborhoods are not dumps. In transition yes, but not dumps.
Right, I don't know about back then but most of Bushwick now is not how he or she is describing. Sure it doesn't look like Park Slope but it is not that hood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City