Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 PM

766 posts, read 507,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Although I agree with the many points you've made on this thread - with the statement in bold, I do not. What will happen when the kid grows up, enters the workforce and has a White or an Asian boss- or colleagues in general? What if he or she wants to do business with other demographics? He or she will start to feel uncomfortable. I think diversity should start from childhood.
Diversity should be in the student population, building friendships. Then you have a diverse faculty which is the ideal scenario

But you are talking about majority minority schools and the majority of teachers being white. Only thing thats setting precedence for is once again minorities being under the authority of white People. Teachers not only are teachers of education but they also can teach life lessons and build relationships with students. And I’m not saying white teachers can’t do that for minority schools BUT an effort should be made to hire minority teachers who are more likely to be invested in the community and relatable to the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 02:07 PM

5,118 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Hope Mr bluedog could survive his last couple years of teaching in the bronx before being retired because he is of the wrong type there...

Old 09-11-2018, 02:12 PM

5,118 posts, read 4,967,943 times
My kids have been taught teachers of all colors and they like/dislike a teacher based on how tough they are. They prefer the softer ones. Jewish/Asian teachers tend to be more strict and pushy

Old 09-11-2018, 02:17 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Hope Mr bluedog could survive his last couple years of teaching in the bronx before being retired because he is of the wrong type there...
lol Yeah I wonder what he has to say, given that he teaches in the South Bronx, and mainly has brown and black kids...

Old 09-11-2018, 02:32 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol Yeah I wonder what he has to say, given that he teaches in the South Bronx, and mainly has brown and black kids...
What do you guys want him to say

He's been teaching in the Bronx at least 10 years now

Even bought there because of it

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-11-2018, 02:36 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What do you guys want him to say

He's been teaching in the Bronx at least 10 years now

Even bought there because of it
He's a white man (as far as I know) teaching primarily kids of color. Some people like Wakanda and Writerdude seem to imply that this isn't possible or it can't be successful.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Diversity should be in the student population, building friendships. Then you have a diverse faculty which is the ideal scenario

But you are talking about majority minority schools and the majority of teachers being white. Only thing thats setting precedence for is once again minorities being under the authority of white People. Teachers not only are teachers of education but they also can teach life lessons and build relationships with students. And I’m not saying white teachers can’t do that for minority schools BUT an effort should be made to hire minority teachers who are more likely to be invested in the community and relatable to the kids.
Teachers are also gatekeepers. When you apply to colleges you need letters of recommendation from teachers and by assigning grades teachers do determine who advances in society. Also teachers have the power to recommend kids for special programs that may enhance their ability to get into college.

So while of course white teachers can and do these things for minority students, people who are outsiders to the community that they teach in have less of a vested interest. Also those teachers are spending money that earn from the schools (white teachers) most likely pretty far from the neighborhood.

I'm not saying that there can't be any white teachers, that's absolutely wrong but the status quo at some schools that have almost all white teachers and almost all minority students is absolutely unacceptable. I'm happy the city realizes that and is doing something about it.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
He's a white man (as far as I know) teaching primarily kids of color. Some people like Wakanda and Writerdude seem to imply that this isn't possible or it can't be successful.
I never said that an individual white person cannot teach kids of color.

I said a system that has pretty much all white teachers and all minority students is unacceptable and a huge disservice to the neighborhood and to the community as at an early age it will be clear to the students the message is that minority students are shut out of professional jobs.

I also gave the city credit for realizing this is a problem and for taking actions to correct it, and this is happening in other places as well.

Mr. Bluedog may or may not be a fantastic teacher. I know nothing about him personally.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:18 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,265 times
This guy is not a hero, not by any stretch of the imagination.

If you research the traits of great leaders, this guy is on the opposite side of the spectrum.

He is a loser.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:28 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
This guy is not a hero, not by any stretch of the imagination.

If you research the traits of great leaders, this guy is on the opposite side of the spectrum.

He is a loser.

Does he remind you of a Hispanic who stole your girl ? Or has the car you always wanted ? Sounds personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City