Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 AM

33,889 posts, read 47,082,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It's not an insult.
I didn't take it as an insult. I actually find it to be an interesting comparison.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,223,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The distance between Fordham's Third Avenue entrance and Metro-North is about 15 feet. If you run, you might miss one of them.

Having said that, Fordham Road is rather dodgy once the sun goes down. One time a young fella standing in the- you guessed it- Metro North entrance demanded my money.

I did not give it to him. Did not run either, but I did one other time when a large pack started moving towards me with clearly nefarious intent. Should I have chilled and simply strolled along?

During the day, Fordham Road is ugly, but kind of interesting. New York's version of a Souk found in Cairo or Rabat. The road curves, has several hills, and is very, very crowded. The sidewalks too. Tons of stores and food stands plus freelance peddlers, hucksters, vipers, con-men, and other assorted miscreants.
I'd rather be in parts of the South Bronx than along Fordham Road. Too crowded, dirty and drab looking. I too have moved "briskly" to reach the Metro-North station. I don't waste any time around there lollygagging about.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'd rather be in parts of the South Bronx than along Fordham Road. Too crowded, dirty and drab looking. I too have moved "briskly" to reach the Metro-North station. I don't waste any time around there lollygagging about.
Well you would be wise, especially at night. The walk home from the D Train could be so perilous as to require the patronage of livery cabs or whatever those non-yellows are called.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I didn't take it as an insult. I actually find it to be an interesting comparison.
I think it an apt comparison although admittedly I have never been to the Middle East.

Fordham Road has lots of grime, danger, corruption, and sheer chaos. Yet it remains a vibrant shopping district.

Here, sing with with me:

On me way downtown, I think of that clown
And the things that he said last night
Did he mean 'em at all or was it just drink talk
Oh, I must look a terrible sight
Put me makeup on as I watch the sun rise high over Fordham Road
Oh Mammy dear, we're all mad over here Livin' in America

Old 09-21-2018, 07:21 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,627,382 times
Quote:
So then why the concern? You're not spending a substantial amount of time there so whats the deal?

I used to live in the area. I've always wanted to see the area improve, I root for the ghetto areas to become be better.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,568,096 times
Default It's the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I was thrilled to see that Fordham Plaza across Fordham University and the Metro North was renovated and revamped. It definitely looked quite nice at first. And its great to see that Fordham as a plethora of other shops that can bring money into the area. I always try to look at the bright side of things but I have been going through Fordham Road in the Bronx the past fews and its an absolute dump. That area simply cannot have nice things. Garage all over the place plus garbage people. Drugged out zombies stumbling and bumbling at the plaza and it reeks of the smell of urine. I felt like all the homeless and druggies got together, put urine in a pipeline and had it mist out around the area.

That's all I have to say about that. A damn shame.
It's been months since I've been to Fordham road area (or was it since last year) but it looked the same that it's always looked to me. The way some posters talked here on C-D about the high rents becoming a thing in the BX and they acted as if the BX had become the new Tribeca, so I thought the entire BX had been gentrified. But when I last passed through and went through some neighborhoods (now I remember, yes it was over this summer 2018 because I was going to visit a friend in CT), I didn't see anything in the Bronx that stood out as different to me.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 PM

Default Used to ride it...

Quote:
bx36!
OMG, PTSD just kicked in! I used to ride BX36 when I worked in the south Bronx many years ago. The F-word being used like a mantra, the fights, almost fights, curse-outs, and miserableness of so many riders...was unbelievable!

Old 09-21-2018, 08:33 PM

497 posts, read 283,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
It's been months since I've been to Fordham road area (or was it since last year) but it looked the same that it's always looked to me. The way some posters talked here on C-D about the high rents becoming a thing in the BX and they acted as if the BX had become the new Tribeca, so I thought the entire BX had been gentrified. But when I last passed through and went through some neighborhoods (now I remember, yes it was over this summer 2018 because I was going to visit a friend in CT), I didn't see anything in the Bronx that stood out as different to me.
It still looks mostly the same, but the rents and home values are skyrocketing. Just 2 years ago I saw a 2 family in Mott Haven for 400k, those prices are now long gone.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:36 PM

Default As it should be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol You'll need to knock down that "fortress" to get to them. The whole campus is enclosed and guarded like Fort Knox.
Dang right, and as it should be! Parents are sending their children to that school and paying good money or the students are taking out plenty of loans and applying for grants and scholarships to attend. Why should they then be subjected to mentally ill, mentally violent, and thug-hoodrats who see these students as easy prey? Fordham administrators have a school to run and a student, faculty and staff population to protect. The security should be tight, as it is.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:41 PM

Default OMG, Temple Univ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Fordham has always been a haven for drug addict culture. I remember 25 years ago in college most of the bodgeas sold various assortments of weed. Chonky Black was a popular Dominican strain back then. Used to shop at Jimmy Jamz and Dr. J's.

Just because Fordham University is an esteemed organization doesn't mean the neighborhood is.

I think OP would be even more surprised had they visited the campus of Temple University.
I've been. OMG, Temple Univ is in the midst of a shanty town hood. It's so bad (or used to be, I haven't been to that part of Philly in years) that I said at the time that even the worse parts of the Bronx looks better than this. Eww! The rundown houses near Temple would have been condemned had they been in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City