Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeps View Post
I guess our budget would be between $2200 and $2500 a month. Is this ridiculously low? My only real comparison is a cousin who lives on the upper east (88 & east end) in a flex 2 for $1600 a month. Is that a ridiculously good deal, or is the east side just that much cheaper?

The place I'm working has a recommended broker, so I'll probably call him up and explain budget and location preferences, but I'd rather not go into it totally clueless, or expecting the impossible. Again, thank you all for the helpful replies.
East End is incredibly far from the subway. $1600 sounds like a deal, but that may be the going rate for the trek. The East Side to West Side commute is one of the worst in Manhattan. But I don't know if you'll be able to find a two (or a flex one) in your budget south of 96th St on the west side. Have you looked on Craig's for comparable apts? (of course take it all with a grain of salt - minus the bait and switch listings)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:29 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Are the upper 90's on the west side expensive? That's a nice area.

I would think Morn. Heights is a little cheaper. But Morn. Heights is not a bad area at all in my eyes. The biggest problem around there IMO are the homeless. Some crazy homeless tend to congregate around there for whatever reason.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Are the upper 90's on the west side expensive? That's a nice area.

I would think Morn. Heights is a little cheaper. But Morn. Heights is not a bad area at all in my eyes.
consider the source, you are comfortable with the ghetto lifestyle, most people are not

Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
1600 a month in upper east???

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 21,569 times
It's a 4th floor walk up that's been flexed.

And how ghetto is ghetto? I'm guessing it might be too ghetto for me.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:54 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
it would be far more convenient to get to columbia if you stick to the west side, if you live on the east side, she'll need to take a xtown bus to the subway
Why? Because there's no such thing as a crosstown bus? Yikes!

Come on! There are crosstown buses, and they're incomparably cheaper (esp if you have an unlimited metrocard) than taxis.

Quote:
How hard is it to get down to Wall Street from upper west?
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurenyc View Post
about 45 minutes on the 1 or 2 train.
Depending on where on the UWS, I think 45 minutes (including a transfer between a #1 to a 2 or 3) is about the max.

Commuting from the far Upper East Side to Columbia would probably be more than 45 minutes. Gramercy-Murray Hill could probably take an hour. IMO, you'll do better to cross the whole East Side off your list.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Why? Because there's no such thing as a crosstown bus? Yikes!

Come on! There are crosstown buses, and they're incomparably cheaper (esp if you have an unlimited metrocard) than taxis.

have you ever taken a xtown bus? if you have I don't think that you'd be touting them

Old 04-03-2008, 12:48 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
consider the source, you are comfortable with the ghetto lifestyle, most people are not
There are a few ghetto blocks here and there in Morn Heights, but overall its a nice neighborhood, and that's a realistic assesment it has nothing to do with me being "comfortable in the ghetto." The bulk of the area isn't even ghetto. It's close to nice parks and conveniently located, there are also nice restaurants and bars there. You've probably been there once or twice in your life and your convinced the place is horrible.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
There are a few ghetto blocks here and there in Morn Heights, but overall its a nice neighborhood, and that's a realistic assesment it has nothing to do with me being "comfortable in the ghetto." The bulk of the area isn't even ghetto. It's close to nice parks and conveniently located, there are also nice restaurants and bars there. You've probably been there once or twice in your life and your convinced the place is horrible.
going for a stroll in the park?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:16 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
Quote:
And how ghetto is ghetto? I'm guessing it might be too ghetto for me.
Everyone has their own threshold. Some of our posters' thresholds are incredibly low. There are some sketchy blocks, but if you stay west of Broadway, you can go through and beyond the upper 90s. It's a very nice, lively (but not too lively) area.

Quote:
have you ever taken a xtown bus? if you have I don't think that you'd be touting them
For many years, the x-town bus was a twice-daily ritual, West Side to East River. I know it better than I'd like to. I'm not "touting" the x-towns (I'm "touting" the 1/2/3 line, if you read my post), but I don't know many students who can afford -- what would a taxi meter run these days? $8? $10? -- twice a day four or five days a week. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City