U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 20,627 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone-

I had questions on neighborhoods - a friend and I are moving to Manhattan in July - I will be working on Wall Street, and she will be attending Columbia.

Where is a nice place which is convenient to both places to live? I (obviously) don't want to live way up in the UWS, but she doesn't want to (and can't afford) to live in Gramercy or Murray Hill.

I was looking at the Upper East, etc, but I don't totally know how easy it is to get around cross town etc for her to get to Columbia. Any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,551,680 times
Actually it's easier to live on the UWS...For her to get to the UWS from Grammercy is a real nightmare. If you can swing it, the UWS would probably make both of you happy.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,503,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeps View Post
Hello Everyone-

I had questions on neighborhoods - a friend and I are moving to Manhattan in July - I will be working on Wall Street, and she will be attending Columbia.

Where is a nice place which is convenient to both places to live? I (obviously) don't want to live way up in the UWS, but she doesn't want to (and can't afford) to live in Gramercy or Murray Hill.

I was looking at the Upper East, etc, but I don't totally know how easy it is to get around cross town etc for her to get to Columbia. Any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all very much.
it would be far more convenient to get to columbia if you stick to the west side, if you live on the east side, she'll need to take a xtown bus to the subway

Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 PM

Thanks for your replies.

How hard is it to get down to Wall Street from upper west?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM

27 posts, read 267,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeps View Post
Thanks for your replies.

How hard is it to get down to Wall Street from upper west?

about 45 minutes on the 1 or 2 train.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurenyc View Post
about 45 minutes on the 1 or 2 train.
to clarify, 2 or 3 goes to wall st, 1 stays on the far west side below chambers, A train will take you to fulton st and the local c(?) goes to the WTC. the N & R will also get you down there

Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,874,121 times
It is not about location but about how much you can spend of rent

UWS is expensive, Hell's kitchen has been gentrified, anymore south the more money you dish out.

If you wanna live frugally try Wash Hi, Morn Hi, West Harlem.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
It is not about location but about how much you can spend of rent

UWS is expensive, Hell's kitchen has been gentrified, anymore south the more money you dish out.

If you wanna live frugally try Wash Hi, Morn Hi, West Harlem.
you get what you pay for. if you want to live in a rough area, those places are fine, if you want to live in a better area, you pay the price

Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 PM

I guess our budget would be between $2200 and $2500 a month. Is this ridiculously low? My only real comparison is a cousin who lives on the upper east (88 & east end) in a flex 2 for $1600 a month. Is that a ridiculously good deal, or is the east side just that much cheaper?

The place I'm working has a recommended broker, so I'll probably call him up and explain budget and location preferences, but I'd rather not go into it totally clueless, or expecting the impossible. Again, thank you all for the helpful replies.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,551,680 times
Your cousin is getting a STEAL (of course, if it's a walk up on the fifth floor with a bathtub in the kitchen - yes, those do exist -, maybe not so much).

The East side is, generally a little cheaper, BUT time is money and the commute to Columbia is a REAL pain in the neck (I've done it and it's not fun). Meanwhile, to get to the Financial District, either side is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City