Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfilipov View Post
Yeah, it’s terrible. Fortunately, now that I live along the 7 line, my life has improved a lot. The 7 trains are so frequent (every 2 minutes, it seems like), and rarely delayed. And the views of NYC from the 7 train are iconic. The 7 line is honestly the best line!
I actually find myself using the 7 line over the S. The shuttle train is such a rat race, and on top of it now they have performers on the damn train. No thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 12:25 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I actually find myself using the 7 line over the S. The shuttle train is such a rat race, and on top of it now they have performers on the damn train. No thanks...
When my office was at 200 Park, I would take the S to the N to avoid the mayhem of the 4 train. That train would give me such anxiety. I only dealt with it because it was less stress than taking the 4/5 to Union to get the N. I don't miss those days.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
When my office was at 200 Park, I would take the S to the N to avoid the mayhem of the 4 train. That train would give me such anxiety. I only dealt with it because it was less stress than taking the 4/5 to Union to get the N. I don't miss those days.
lol... I actually try to avoid taking the 4/5 express and stick to the 6 where possible. It's not like the express is that much faster anyway. They may come into the station fast, but they're usually crawling in between stations. The N is much nicer. I remember years ago it was ranked as one of the worst lines. Now it has nice new cars and seems to run pretty frequently. What gentrification will do...

Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
I avoid the subway where possible. I have meetings all over the place... Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan... I will be taking an Uber to and from. Every GD time I call myself taking the subway, I get stuck and have to run right out of the station, and get a yellow taxi. Not this time. I'll have an Uber waiting right downstairs.
When I visit the city I'm taking Uber or Lyft to and from the airport.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
lol... I actually try to avoid taking the 4/5 express and stick to the 6 where possible. It's not like the express is that much faster anyway. They may come into the station fast, but they're usually crawling in between stations. The N is much nicer. I remember years ago it was ranked as one of the worst lines. Now it has nice new cars and seems to run pretty frequently. What gentrification will do...
Now I take the Q or the B (prefer the Q the B reminds me too much of the A) anyway, as nice as the Q is, it's pretty crowded by me most mornings. There are specific N trains that stop at Dekalb (they are pretty empty compared to the Q) the problem is I still can't (because it's inconsistent when I leave for work) figure out the timing of the N train. Additionally, the N stops at 49th street, otherwise, I have to get off at 42nd stand wait for a local train just for one stop. I know FWP

Old 09-18-2018, 01:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, cool. Maybe we should modernize the signalling system.
Yes do that.

And we'll still have delays due to sick passengers, suicides when the come, criminal incidents/police, etc.

A problem is the layout of the subway system. Most cities just have lots of two track lines for their metro system.

NYC has a complicated local/express systems where lines merger and split.

A disaster at West 4th is going to shut down the A, B, C, D, E, F, and M trains. That is going to screw up the R (shares there Queens Blvd line with the E, F, and M trains) and the G (shares the Culver line with the F).

A screw up at DeKalb Avenue would screw up the N, Q, R, W, B, and D trains. Uptown B and T trains would have to become A and C trains. Queens Blvd R trains would likely have to become E or F trains.

The 2 and the 5 share the same line in the Bronx and again the same line in Brooklyn so what affects one can affect the other.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Now I take the Q or the B (prefer the Q the B reminds me too much of the A) anyway, as nice as the Q is, it's pretty crowded by me most mornings. There are specific N trains that stop at Dekalb (they are pretty empty compared to the Q) the problem is I still can't (because it's inconsistent when I leave for work) figure out the timing of the N train. Additionally, the N stops at 49th street, otherwise, I have to get off at 42nd stand wait for a local train just for one stop. I know FWP
LOL The B train is like a zoo at night in Manhattan, but in the mornings, for whatever reason it's generally a lot more civilized, especially compared to the D at stops like 59th street. If I was in your shoes, I'd actually consider Uber or doing an Uber pool. I was checking the prices for some of my meetings, and for one in Brooklyn, I think an Uber Pool was only like $14 from Midtown one way. Changes of course, but you can snag a nice deal depending on when you leave.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
LOL The B train is like a zoo at night in Manhattan, but in the mornings, for whatever reason it's generally a lot more civilized, especially compared to the D at stops like 59th street. If I was in your shoes, I'd actually consider Uber or doing an Uber pool. I was checking the prices for some of my meetings, and for one in Brooklyn, I think an Uber Pool was only like $14 from Midtown one way. Changes of course, but you can snag a nice deal depending on when you leave.
F*ck no, I'm not THAT high maintenance, besides, the easiest way to alleviate this issue is to actually wake up on time (my current challenge).

Old 09-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshabrady View Post
f*ck no, i'm not that high maintenance, besides, the easiest way to alleviate this issue is to actually wake up on time (my current challenge).
lmao...

Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
When I visit the city I'm taking Uber or Lyft to and from the airport.
Well that makes sense. I can't picture myself walking around with luggage from the airport trying to get on the subway. Can't get all of the luggage through the damn doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: