Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
I have very limited knowledge of religion, but as side from any lawsuits and criminal behavior, I believe shutting down churches is a huge loss for everyone. Even if people do not follow a religion, and even if un-safe activities have or have not occurred inside of churches, the churches are meant as a divine place to meet with yourself and form a healthy relationship with yourself.

Just because at this moment in history everyone is saying things like "the church is dead" or "Catholicism is dead", it is still very possible that in the near future people will wise up and begin to rediscover a new useful purpose for a spiritual clarity (or what have you).

Even if you harbor some bad vibes about churches or religions, it is incredibly important for us to keep churches. They are meant for being divine places to meet yourself better and take care of your mind body and spirit. Those churches are designed as divine places.
Quite clearly those churches were not helping people form healthy relationships. It’s one reason, among many why people don’t go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 07:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Keep the churches open, AND TAX THEM the same as any other business.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:05 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The church was continuing to sell real estate and shutdown schools, and now this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/18/n...e=sectionfront

On a long term basis I don't see how the church can survive this. Obviously more people are going to come forward, and obviously the church cannot do anything to control the perverts they recruit for the priesthood. And the church refuses to reform to allow priests or nuns to be married.

So I think we will see the end of the church in the Northeast definitely if not in the whole US.

Why even give your money to an organization like this or put your children in it's care, if you know its going to enable perverts and pay off their victims. Why put YOUR children in HARMS way like this?

This is very bad all around.
RCC is committing suicide via perverts, not cause they hired them, cause they hid them, shuffling them parish to parish.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:02 AM

The Church has always been a place for homosexuals to gather careerwise and gain a respectability one could not get with other career paths.
An ex-seminarian acquaintance told me that nearly 100% of his fellow seminarians were gay.

The Church's misstep was to put people sworn to celibacy in charge of kids.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The Church has always been a place for homosexuals to gather careerwise and gain a respectability one could not get with other career paths.
An ex-seminarian acquaintance told me that nearly 100% of his fellow seminarians were gay.

The Church's misstep was to put people sworn to celibacy in charge of kids.
Homosexuality and pedophilia do not go hand in hand. You can not make the blanket statement that these men abused because they were gay and expected to be celibate. I grew up attending Catholic schools from K—12, the only case of abuse I ever heard come out of my parish was a female lay teacher and an 8th grade boy. What’s the excuse for her?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:09 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
Amusing how Roman Catholics have unofficially become 'the church' per online forums and the main stream media.

Catholics are just one denomination among the overall Christian demographic, granted the RCC does represent nearly half of the entire Christian faith.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:23 AM

Probably because the Catholic Church was THE Church for at least a Millennium, and perhaps a millennium and a half.

Likely on this board, Catholics (current and ex) make up the largest component of the Christian demographic. On an Alabama or Mississippi board the opposite would be the case.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
The Roman Catholic Church is the majority of Christian denomination here in NY. So it's very accurate to assume that they are "the Church" around these parts.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I believe shutting down churches is a huge loss for everyone.

No, it is a huge GAIN for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City