Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:33 PM

497 posts, read 283,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
This is true. Our biggest fear is being invaded by hipsters. I've seen some as far East as Bayside but it's still early enough to attack the problem. And by attack, I mean attack. My street has all agreed to harass any and all people that even remotely appear to be hipsterish! So far it has worked. They've left.
There are already a ton of hipsters in Western Queens. It doesn't matter anyway, if they don't move in then Chinese people will and raise property values even higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,678,346 times
I can't stand Brooklyn. To me Brooklyn is dead; not the same Brooklyn I would go to as a kid for specialty groceries.

I'm happy I am from Queens and I hope it never becomes hip. One thing I don't like about where I live is the influx of Chinese money. That raises prices for everyone and makes streets dirty and it brings crime. How many of those 'massage parlors' are doing just massages? Hmm.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 PM

497 posts, read 283,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I can't stand Brooklyn. To me Brooklyn is dead; not the same Brooklyn I would go to as a kid for specialty groceries.

I'm happy I am from Queens and I hope it never becomes hip. One thing I don't like about where I live is the influx of Chinese money. That raises prices for everyone and makes streets dirty and it brings crime. How many of those 'massage parlors' are doing just massages? Hmm.
That's the thing, if hipsters don't raise prices then Asian people (whether East Asian or South Asian) will. Hipsters don't care about South Brooklyn but homes there are super expensive now due to Chinese people and perhaps Russians too.

As for Queens not being hip, yeah right. Look at all the gentrifier interest everywhere from Astoria to Jackson Heights.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM

202 posts, read 164,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
There are already a ton of hipsters in Western Queens. It doesn't matter anyway, if they don't move in then Chinese people will and raise property values even higher.
Well the Chinese have already moved in. And they ain't leaving. At least they will raise kids that also want to stay and continue to keep the community well. A hipster is here for a nyc minute and then on to the next hip town.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:

It is indeed the one big blemish on NE Queens. It all ties back to illegal immigration. The politicians and police pay no attention to the problem, yet Chinese ***** houses pop up next to middle schools. And, yes, they attract crime. Just last week one was robbed by AAs who would never EVER step foot into this neighborhood. The parlors are now soft targets for all criminals from other neighborhoods.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM

37,085 posts, read 39,272,194 times
Quote:

You might be surprised at the proportion of massage parlors that are actually just massages. It’s a pretty common thing in East Asian culture to get massages or go to a spa at fairly regular intervals and the sheer volume of massage places keeps the prices pretty low. Not to say there aren’t actually places that engage in prostitution, but the proportion isn’t that high.

It’s a similar thing with all the bathhouses/spas that East Asian as well as communities of ex-Soviet states have in their communities. The guy with the chia pet living on his chest that’s thrashing you with the plotz is probably not doing a bit on the side, but I guess you can flash some green and a bit of flesh and see where that takes you.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-20-2018 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,344,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You might be surprised at the proportion of massage parlors that are actually just massages. It’s a pretty common thing in East Asian culture to get massages or go to a spa at fairly regular intervals and the sheer volume of massage places keeps the prices pretty low. Not to say there aren’t actually places that engage in prostitution, but the proportion isn’t that high.

It’s a similar thing with all the bathhouses/spas that East Asian as well as communities of ex-Soviet states have in their communities. The guy with the chia pet living on his chest that’s thrashing you with the plotz is probably not doing a bit on the side, but I guess you can flash some green and a bit of flesh and see where that takes you.
Nah.

Unless they do things differently in Queens!

https://brooklynreporter.com/2017/04...dyker-heights/

They just do this on repeat, as this happened a few years before:

Unhappy ending for 12 dirty Bay Ridge massage parlors * - NY Daily News

Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 PM

12,776 posts, read 8,252,549 times
The best parts of Queens outside of Neponsit, and Forest Hills and in particular Forest Hills Gardens are areas of Northeast Queens. Douglaston, Little Neck in particular and Beechhurst. Douglaston is GORGEOUS. Historical homes far back off of the street on hilly landscapes. Just slightly nicer than Little Neck, though Little Neck has some very tony historical areas too.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:25 PM

3,860 posts, read 3,142,547 times
basically, most all areas, north of Hillside avenue/Queens Blvd, and far from the train is nice. Believe the hype. 2 Airports, 4 bridges, 1 tunnel. There are Immigrant neighborhoods, so people are segregated to a point. Almost 200 different languages spoken. Way too much variety of Restaurants. 5 to 45 minutes subway ride to the city, depending on how far you are from the train station.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I work very closely with my local precinct. Unfortunately 99% of these places are illegal, around NE Queens anyway. Been this way for 20 years. The NYPD vice used to take them down, but as the area shifted Asian, so did our local politicians, which put the kabosh on the cops from doing there job. Now we're stuck. But I will say this, since Trump was elected they have been a lot less visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: