Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:38 PM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times

Advertisements

How well do New Yorkers transplant to Chicago, without a car?

It must be much harder to live there without a car especially during Chicago winters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 12:46 PM

497 posts, read 284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
How well do New Yorkers transplant to Chicago, without a car?

It must be much harder to live there without a car especially during Chicago winters?
They also have a nearly 24 hour subway

Old 09-24-2018, 12:48 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Check DAYTON, Ohio. Cheap housing to buy or rent but NO good jobs. 60- Minutes did a good documentary last week.
Anyone else see it?

I have always moved in the opposite direction, from Eastern Pennsylvania to New Jersey to Manhattan, progressively higher COL...but I have always played an angle with housing.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You already stated that if a place is a certain amount in rent, it must be in a ghetto. Now you're getting into twisting words. Whatever floats your boat, but this doesn't really make for an interesting discussion.

7th Floor nailed it when he gave me feedback about my post. He predicted responses like yours.

I don't get it -- no one is trying to convince anyone to leave NYC, we're just giving facts and examples. Not sure why it's so hard to understand.
Exactly, I'm not trying to convince people to leave.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Check DAYTON, Ohio. Cheap housing to buy or rent but NO good jobs. 60- Minutes did a good documentary last week.
Anyone else see it?

I have always moved in the opposite direction, from Eastern Pennsylvania to New Jersey to Manhattan, progressively higher COL...but I have always played an angle with housing.
Cincinatti is pretty affordable too and is pretty happening. I could be a bartender there.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
It's not that there's no demand, it's just that there's not an extreme demand to live there like in NYC. That does not mean those places are bad.

And the bad parts of NYC are more expensive than nice neighborhoods in most other US cities.
Nowhere in the US worth living for under $800 a month, not for an urban person used to comfortable living standards like a dishwasher, elevator, AC, and bedroom walls.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:07 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
(yes you pay for water and heat in Italy since you control it),
Here too if you own an actual house.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-24-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Nowhere in the US worth living for under $800 a month, not for an urban person used to comfortable living standards like a dishwasher, elevator, AC, and bedroom walls.
Elevators and central air are not even the norm for NYC. The oeverwhelming majority of buildings in my neighborhood are 2-4 stories tall, thus no elevators.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:08 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
When I leave NYC, it will be to a rural area where my nearest neighbor is hopefully out of sight. A place where I can hunt and shoot (and maybe even fish) on the property that I own.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-24-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
When I leave NYC, it will be to a rural area where my nearest neighbor is hopefully out of sight. A place where I can hunt and shoot (and maybe even fish) on the property that I own.
Like Hickock45's house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City