Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:12 PM

49 posts, read 57,073 times

Advertisements

I found an old photo in my basement -- it appears to have been taken in the 1930s or 40s based on the clothing of the people in the picture. It appears to be a large two and a half storied building (or restaurant) on the water, at the end of a wooden pier - with all floors having white railings around full wrap-around decking. The building extends out way past the width of the pier. The only notation on the photo is "Schnackenberg, Livingston St, Brooklyn" but I suspect that may have been the photographer since Livingston Street appears inland and this is clearly on the water - so it may not be in Brooklyn at all. I've done an internet search for vintage Brooklyn photos without a match. Any thoughts if the building was in Brooklyn and what it was called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,746 times
Why not post the picture, might help to actually see it.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Yes, posting it will help. This is why they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:30 PM

Thanks -- I did not notice there was a way to attach a picture; here it is!
Attached Thumbnails
need help identifying location of an old photo - possibly Brooklyn-old-photo.jpg  

Old 09-25-2018, 01:18 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,168 times
Is it a possibility the photo was taken outside of Brooklyn & developed at the photography shop in Brooklyn on Livingston? Looking at some old vintage pier restaurants and boathouses in NYC (Brooklyn/Bronx even), most didn't extend out into the water, and didn't appear to have wooden framing.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:07 PM

That's what I'm thinking the Livingston Street refers to - or the photography studio, since the Schnackenberg name seems to be a proprietor of other stores in the NY area during that era. The actual photo was framed in a shop in Somerville, NJ. so I'm thinking it was probably local.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Do some research into the resorts that used to exist on Staten Island's beaches. They were very popular in the early 20th Century. Looks similar to some pictures I've seen.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-25-2018, 02:52 PM

497 posts, read 284,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
Is it a possibility the photo was taken outside of Brooklyn & developed at the photography shop in Brooklyn on Livingston? Looking at some old vintage pier restaurants and boathouses in NYC (Brooklyn/Bronx even), most didn't extend out into the water, and didn't appear to have wooden framing.
I also don't see any Manhattan skyline in the background

Old 09-25-2018, 05:39 PM

That could indicate it was facing NJ, BuildingLover, on the Manhattan side?

I was also searching through old photos of Coney Island -- this looks like the kind of building that would have been at the end of their piers. I found an old postcard of Coney Island in the 1930s that appeared to indicate there were 3 piers with buildings at the end of each - but none were clear enough to see any detail. Starting in 1937, several floods appears to have destroyed everything. I am guessing anything at the end of a pier did not have much hope of survival.

As my name indicates, I live in NJ and know very little about NY -- I'm kind of hoping someone, who's family has been living in NY for generations, can show the photo to a grandparent -- I'm betting it was 'quite THE place' in its day! :-) Thanks, all!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,380 times
Maybe?
Bergen Beach Amusement Park - Brooklyn, NY 1896 - 1918
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City