Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 04:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not sure how it helps the MTA. Just puts more strain on a system that can't handle the ridership it already has. Have you seen the subways of late?

Bigger tax base? That one is also up for debate.
Oh, the MTA was going to shutdown the L train for an year completely. But after consulting with engineers from Columbia and Cornell, they now have limited the work to weekends and no need to shut down the L train for a year. Any new major capital project at the MTA has to be reviewed by Columbia and Cornell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 07:39 AM

264 posts, read 136,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Better for who? Im sure people who have lived there for 20-40yrs might disagree with you.
no one lived there dude, it was all warehouses and empty lots, projects and a few buildings. nothing more.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Not sure how it helps the MTA. Just puts more strain on a system that can't handle the ridership it already has. Have you seen the subways of late?

Bigger tax base? That one is also up for debate.
MTA will be introducing the new trainset with open design next year. those trains can hold 20% more people
and will be used on the A line.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:04 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
I ride the subways. It is not strained. Just like everything, at peak hours in certain areas of the city (mainly Manhattan or close in outer boroughs) it will be crowded but at all other times (which is most of the day) and in most areas of the city, it is not crowded at all. In fact, it is pretty empty and almost scary to ride because it is too empty.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:48 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
MTA will be introducing the new trainset with open design next year. those trains can hold 20% more people
and will be used on the A line.
Sounds promising, but then they will probably cut service more so the trains will still be overcrowded during rush hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I ride the subways. It is not strained. Just like everything, at peak hours in certain areas of the city (mainly Manhattan or close in outer boroughs) it will be crowded but at all other times (which is most of the day) and in most areas of the city, it is not crowded at all. In fact, it is pretty empty and almost scary to ride because it is too empty.
During non peak hours, so many lines are down that it isn't worth the aggravation so people take Via, Lyft, Uber... Lots of people biking too. Can't blame them.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Sounds promising, but then they will probably cut service more so the trains will still be overcrowded during rush hour.
During non peak hours, so many lines are down that it isn't worth the aggravation so people take Via, Lyft, Uber... Lots of people biking too. Can't blame them.
Columbia got itself into a problem building that campus next to that housing project (Grant Houses).
Just last night a freshman female student was stabbed to death on morningside park.
the suspects are a bunch of teenagers from the Grant houses across the new campus.
things like this will just continue to happen.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
Columbia got itself into a problem building that campus next to that housing project (Grant Houses).
Just last night a freshman female student was stabbed to death on morningside park.
the suspects are a bunch of teenagers from the Grant houses across the new campus.
things like this will just continue to happen.
I heard about it. Not surprising either... The gentrification people love hyping up neighborhoods, but there are issues that arise when you keep coming in and trying to build and push people out. Those housing projects are not going away so good luck to Columbia. I have considered taking some courses for enrichment purposes... Looked at schools like NYU, Columbia, Fordham and several others. I am not sure I would go with Columbia if I have to take the courses on-site, just because it's a pain to reach some of their locations. For me it's about what works for me and what makes the most sense based on what I am getting out of it, not necessarily the name.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I heard about it. Not surprising either... The gentrification people love hyping up neighborhoods, but there are issues that arise when you keep coming in and trying to build and push people out. Those housing projects are not going away so good luck to Columbia. I have considered taking some courses for enrichment purposes... Looked at schools like NYU, Columbia, Fordham and several others. I am not sure I would go with Columbia if I have to take the courses on-site, just because it's a pain to reach some of their locations. For me it's about what works for me and what makes the most sense based on what I am getting out of it, not necessarily the name.
Buy the projects themselves and move the people out.

It’s not really a problem.

I’m sorry this young girl got killed.

These types of people would just as easily stab and rob you. At least three white gays I know have recently told me they were assaulted in various downtown neighborhoods because of their race.

Incidents like these, along with the Jersey City incident will just change the city’s approach to policing.

No one will want to be caught anywhere near Columbia’s campus without ID.

People just became relaxed. Years ago no student would have had reason to enter Morningside Park and there was no guard at the University’s post.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Buy the projects themselves and move the people out.

It’s not really a problem.

I’m sorry this young girl got killed.

These types of people would just as easily stab and rob you. At least three white gays I know have recently told me they were assaulted in various downtown neighborhoods because of their race.

Incidents like these, along with the Jersey City incident will just change the city’s approach to policing.

No one will want to be caught anywhere near Columbia’s campus without ID.

People just became relaxed. Years ago no student would have had reason to enter Morningside Park and there was no guard at the University’s post.
These are the ugly results of gentrification sometimes. Very unfortunate.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
These are the ugly results of gentrification sometimes. Very unfortunate.
These incidents happened ore gentrification in the 80s, until Giuliani’s approach.

Which is likely going to make a partial return because the city cannot afford the negative press and the underclass is expendable.

And good grief, it’s not like Housing Project dwellers are natives. African Americans only came to NYC post WW2 because mechanization in the South rendered rural farm laborers redundant. The Southern states dumped their problems on Northern cities like NYC, instead of offering displaced workers help in getting new jobs abd in getting education (they were basically illiterate).

If NYC had any sense they’d get rid of the projects. The people would just go back to the South like many have already done so.

There’s just no reason to preserve this status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City