Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 06:35 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times

Advertisements

I just cleaned up the thread a bit, didn't want any commenting on MoD actions. All is well, carry on. No harm done.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-03-2018, 12:03 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
the poconos
This is the correct answer. The Poconos has had a mass exodus of NYers over the past 30 years, but more and more NYers seem to be coming within the last 5 years, buying up or renting the cheap ailing delapidated real estate. Most people with housing vouchers make their first stop in The Poconos. Many families then move further west to more affordable cities like Wilkes Barre, Scranton and Hazelton.

The Lehigh Valley, just south of the Poconos has also had a massive influx of ex New Yorkers in cities like Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton. It's like the entire region has been taken over by former residents of NYC. This is why their will never be an NYC to PA train service built for the region.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Honestly, I think Middle class Black NYers should do what's right for them. If it means staying, then stay. If it means heading South/West/To NJ or PA then so be it. Why should Black NYers be expected to sacrifice their QOL so white liberals can get their diversity fix? SE Queens isn't "gentirifying" so it's not that.
Good points. What's best for one person may not be best for another person. So it's really up to the individual or the family to decide what's best for them. There really isn't an answer for what is best for Black Middle Class New Yorkers because at the end of the day, you're dealing with individual people who have every right to decide on how to live their lives as individuals, not as a political ideology or a race.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:55 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
I think the future of Black New Yorker is AA/Caribbean will be replaced by Africans.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:17 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I think the future of Black New Yorker is AA/Caribbean will be replaced by Africans.
There is some truth to this I think. African-American and AWest Indian New YOrkers aren't going to disappear. But the communities of sub-Saharan African immigrants in parts of the Bronx, Brooklyn, and to a lesser extent Harlem, will grow, just as previous immigrant communities have done. Either through their own families getting bigger or through family reunification (if DT doesn't manage to end it). And their sons and daughters will start the upward climb that generations of immigrants before them have made, as they start earning middle-class incomes. Some will stay in the city, some will leave, same as middle-class New Yorkers of all stripes.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
I see no difference between the black midde class, white middle class, brown middle class, etc...end of the day it is our worthless politicians squeezing us all out.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
I see no difference between the black midde class, white middle class, brown middle class, etc...end of the day it is our worthless politicians squeezing us all out.
Well said!

Old 10-03-2018, 09:13 PM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post

Thankyou ,thankyou ,thankyou,

....and Captain Cuomo is blaming mass exodus on the weather. L.O.L.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Thankyou ,thankyou ,thankyou,

....and Captain Cuomo is blaming mass exodus on the weather. L.O.L.
Statistical proof there's a mass exodus?

For decades civil servant retirees have moved out of NYC with their pensions to warmer and cheaper locations.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:31 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
As most already know, Southeast Queens is the largest black middle/working class region in NYC.

I can see working-class Hispanics eventually becoming the majority in SE Queens (Jamaica, South Jamaica and Springfield Gardens has already started having large increases in Hispanics). There will also be a lot of working class Black Carribeans remaining and co-existing since Black Caribbeans seem to get along reasonably well with NYC hispanics as seen with the South Bronx.

SE Queens is not convenient enough to Manhattan to become desirable to hipsters, Manhattan commuters and other [mostly white] gentrifiers. I don't see the working-class ethnic whites who left the area 30-50 years ago returning. The below link shows how much hatred and fear that most of the former white residents of Rosedale had of black people:
https://billmoyers.com/content/rosedale-way/

The true black middle class/upper middle class want larger homes with better schools so many of them [who want to remain in the state] have long been transitioning to Long Island and other suburbs; some of these places are even more easily commutable to Manhattan than Queens!

Some places on Long Island like North Valley Stream, North Baldwin, Lakeview, Wheatley Heights and others are now majority black and all have annual median household incomes of over $100,000; while Cambria Heights, Laurelton and Rosedale (the most desirable black areas in SE Queens) are around $85k per year (which is still far higher than the Queens average) but not as strong as some of the black LI enclaves.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 10-05-2018 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City