Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:34 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,522,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Lyft and Uber back in the day had promotions where you get $20 dollars to sign up. I never bothered to sign up for curb app. So it usually cash or credit with yellow taxi cab. Best time to take them was when uber and lyft were being shameful with the price surge.
Yeah, the price surge thing is really obnoxious. Also, about a million years ago, I drove a cab one summer, so I'm a little biased .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:27 PM

1,031 posts, read 665,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I tipped $2-$3 dollars, because I felt force to do so. I switched to uber, because they specifically advertised the convenience of not haggling over money at the end of your trip. You simply exit the car and pay later. No obligation to tip whatsoever.

When I take long taxi rides (airport) I specifically call the Chinese taxi companies, because fixed prices.
Paying a tip to a taxi driver is a pretty old concept. I’m not sure why you feel some sort of anxiety about it. And about tipping ‘culture’ - there’s definitely more pressure at places like coffee shops. But let me remind you that taking uber or taxi is a convenience. In other cities people actually drive themselves and mostly make their own coffee.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The only way I wouldn't tip is if the car was dinged up and dirty on the inside. I always check the car on the app before agreeing to the ride because I want a clean car inside and out, and definitely no driver that smokes. If they smoke, they WILL get a smaller tip for sure. I don't want my clothes smelling like an ashtray.
I've never come across a dirty or a smoky Uber or Lyft car. I travel a lot so I do use Uber. I generally tip unless the service is really awful. I had a Uber driver in Barcelona who somehow managed to not follow the regular GPS and he nearly got me to the airport late. So he did not deserve the tip.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:11 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Paying a tip to a taxi driver is a pretty old concept. I’m not sure why you feel some sort of anxiety about it. And about tipping ‘culture’ - there’s definitely more pressure at places like coffee shops. But let me remind you that taking uber or taxi is a convenience. In other cities people actually drive themselves and mostly make their own coffee.
Tipping cost me thousands of dollars every year. How about everyone that wants me to tip more fight for middle class tax breaks, build affordable housing for middle class people (not just the poor), and show me the same empathy you ask me to have for others. Who in this city is looking out for middle class people? After a while I just get jaded and I stop caring what people think of me for not tipping. It's a city full of scammers and hustlers trying to get in my pockets.

Let say person A works in the cash business, under reports their revenue so they can claim a cheap lottery apartment while making six figure under the table and person B the sucker is paying full taxes, won't qualify for lottery apartment, and keeps less of their money than the service person.

NYC is so corrupt that somehow it is the tenant who is expected to pay a real estate agent fee for renting an apartment and not the landlord.

Last edited by NYer23; 10-04-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City