Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Not for nothing. I personally believe they jfk airport needs to be demolished. Why? It is not an airport designed for the 21st century. Dubai, Beijing and Mexico City are using an x wing style building structure in which a building shaped in an x cam offer ease of traffic, can handle people inside the structure all inside one building. Just look at Mexico City and Beijing new airport under construction. Jfk should have an x shaped terminal. By time jfk implants an x shape airport, other airports will be already heading for a new design in the next 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:55 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Not for nothing. I personally believe they jfk airport needs to be demolished. Why? It is not an airport designed for the 21st century. Dubai, Beijing and Mexico City are using an x wing style building structure in which a building shaped in an x cam offer ease of traffic, can handle people inside the structure all inside one building. Just look at Mexico City and Beijing new airport under construction. Jfk should have an x shaped terminal. By time jfk implants an x shape airport, other airports will be already heading for a new design in the next 50 years.
It's also located right next to a wildlife sanctuary, so it's constantly being impacted by the birds and it is impacting the birds.

I used to find it darkly humorous that the Port Authority's logo was a seagull, and they pay the US Fish and Wildlife Service to shoot them at JFK. They took the bird off the logo some years ago.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
I'm not at all against an one seat ride to JFK. I love trains and I use them all the time here in Europe.

My main issue is when people use poverty to manipulate arguments. The money going to upgrade JFK and LGA is coming from private sources, and these companies are entitled to spend their money on things that benefit them.

No amount of weeping or wailing about any "issue" obligates private investors to spend money on something, they will only do that if it's in their best interests. It's obviously in the best interest of the airlines to pay for airport upgrades, with all the business they get out of JFK and LGA.

If anyone of you can convince a private company that it's in their best interest to pay for an one seat ride from JFK to Penn Station please do so. I would be happy if that could happen.

I will give Cuomo credit, even if his plans could be better, at least he has ideas and the ability to bring them to fruition. His opponents have no ideas and no interest in putting themselves out there in a place where they would work to have anything done. No, it's safer to be a keyboard warrior.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:09 PM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's also located right next to a wildlife sanctuary, so it's constantly being impacted by the birds and it is impacting the birds.

I used to find it darkly humorous that the Port Authority's logo was a seagull, and they pay the US Fish and Wildlife Service to shoot them at JFK. They took the bird off the logo some years ago.

Why not feed the impoverished with all those geese.............

Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Because you want to kill geese when they are six weeks old or two months at the oldest when the meat is still tender. Those geese in Jamaica Bay, running and flying all over the place are too old and the meat is too tough from the way they have been living.

And Jamaica Bay is not free from environmental contamination, either. You've advisory signs saying don't eat too much food out of New York's waterways.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I think that's been done, upstate at least.

The city has City Harvest rescuing food from restaurants and grocery stores for distribution to the poor. I don't think roast goose is really needed here. Certainly not roast seagull.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:58 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
I think that's been done, upstate at least.

The city has City Harvest rescuing food from restaurants and grocery stores for distribution to the poor. I don't think roast goose is really needed here. Certainly not roast seagull.

City Harvest is a private non-profit, and while well intentioned isn't exactly perfect.

Walking around Manhattan evening/late nights one sees plenty of those clear City Harvest bags chucked to curb with rest of a supermarket's or restaurant's trash. This much to the delight of homeless and dumpster divers who raid the things for contents. Oh and the vermin (rats and mice) are thrilled as well.

Asked a few local supermarket managers why this is so, and was told "if CH truck doesn't arrive before we close/put out trash, stuff goes out with regular garbage".

Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
City Harvest is a private non-profit, and while well intentioned isn't exactly perfect.

Walking around Manhattan evening/late nights one sees plenty of those clear City Harvest bags chucked to curb with rest of a supermarket's or restaurant's trash. This much to the delight of homeless and dumpster divers who raid the things for contents. Oh and the vermin (rats and mice) are thrilled as well.

Asked a few local supermarket managers why this is so, and was told "if CH truck doesn't arrive before we close/put out trash, stuff goes out with regular garbage".
Thanks for that info, as depressing as it is.

In their mailings, it seems as if they are asking for the money to pay truck drivers, so it does make sense. It would be worth a look into how they operate with what they've got.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:30 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Thanks for that info, as depressing as it is.

In their mailings, it seems as if they are asking for the money to pay truck drivers, so it does make sense. It would be worth a look into how they operate with what they've got.

Several years ago now when oil/gas prices were very high and this was reflected at the pump (gas at >$5/gal IIRC), City Harvest made special appeals for donations.

Keeping that fleet (however small) of trucks filled with gas isn't cheap, and for a nonprofit one assumes those high prices hit home. As a charity they cannot pass along cost to consumers because they are collecting and delivering food for free.

It isn't all depressing with CH. Some places make a concerted effort to wait for truck, and or keep the dumpster divers (homeless or otherwise) at bay.

One local upscale shop (and I'm not naming any names), holds CH things indoors after closing while the cleaners are still in store. This instead of putting things out with the trash because the place is now officially closed. It is rather sad because one can see the CH bags in front window, and often there are one, two or more homeless/dumpster divers pacing about outside presumably waiting for those bags to hit the street.

Again from speaking with supermarket/ food place managers and or restaurants CH does ask them to keep bags indoors if possible to prevent homeless and others from taking. Some will comply to best of ability, but again when the place is closing manger or last person out will chuck bags to the street if not collected. That and or if they see private carting company is arriving to collect the other trash, but CH has not, then they chuck the bags out as well. What are they supposed to do otherwise? Keep the stuff indoors overnight until next evening?

Old 10-20-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Several years ago now when oil/gas prices were very high and this was reflected at the pump (gas at >$5/gal IIRC), City Harvest made special appeals for donations.

Keeping that fleet (however small) of trucks filled with gas isn't cheap, and for a nonprofit one assumes those high prices hit home. As a charity they cannot pass along cost to consumers because they are collecting and delivering food for free.

It isn't all depressing with CH. Some places make a concerted effort to wait for truck, and or keep the dumpster divers (homeless or otherwise) at bay.

One local upscale shop (and I'm not naming any names), holds CH things indoors after closing while the cleaners are still in store. This instead of putting things out with the trash because the place is now officially closed. It is rather sad because one can see the CH bags in front window, and often there are one, two or more homeless/dumpster divers pacing about outside presumably waiting for those bags to hit the street.

Again from speaking with supermarket/ food place managers and or restaurants CH does ask them to keep bags indoors if possible to prevent homeless and others from taking. Some will comply to best of ability, but again when the place is closing manger or last person out will chuck bags to the street if not collected. That and or if they see private carting company is arriving to collect the other trash, but CH has not, then they chuck the bags out as well. What are they supposed to do otherwise? Keep the stuff indoors overnight until next evening?
No. If it's already in a bag it's not refrigerated, and if it goes bad because they kept it indoors overnight, there's a lawsuit against both the store and City Harvest for serving homeless people bad food. Barcelona just composts all food thrown out. NYC should do the same, throw away food once it is broken down by bacteria makes great fertilizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City