Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You folk just don't seem to understand all this. Any airport with four runways past 10,000 feet is in good shape.

World class airport do not cater to the once every few years travelers. If you want to get a jitney service going which is common in many airports.

It is nice to have some direct transport to downtown...but it is not required. Heathrow and Schiphol for instance are no better than NY. I did a day in Chicago every other week for a couple of years. But it works only because I would do a four hour visit and leave. Otherwise I would rent a car like most commercial travelers. Did the same thing in DC but would simply rent a car.

I suggest you stop denigrating JFK and go fix the subways. The PA will do OK on JFK.
Main reason why people used clamor for a one seat trip to JFK is because public transportation to JFK passes through some "bad" neighborhoods...but nowadays the travelers squeeze in more than anybody else, certain cars when I come from or go to work are packed with nothing but travelers on the A train...I'm guaranteed to see at least 1 rolling suitcase on my ride home at least.

Not to mention, I live on the other side of town, so I can be at JFK in 15 minutes on public transportation and 25 driving. Works out for me at least when I need to fly out.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You keep saying "UPGRADE" the airport.

No new gates.
No new transit options.
No new / repaired runways.

This is a refurbishment at best.
... and it's a huge blow to the middle/lower income earners of NYC.

I wager 90%+ of those making over 125K a year take a cab to the airport.
$55 bucks in cab fare is half a days wages for lower income New Yorkers.

For those who don't mind taking the transit and spending an 90 minutes to get to Kennedy, power to them- but that's not an efficient use of anyones time.

Increase the airlines contribution, increase the city contribution, increase the state contribution and actualyl FIX the problems with LGA and JFK.
The current transit options to JFK are perfectly FINE. I'm not opposed to direct seat to JFK, but it is certainly not a priority. Frequently travelers take TAXI or Uber.

For that matter, if you have the money to buy an airplane ticket, you have the money to pay for a car or ride sharing service.

With some exceptions I cannot imagine why people would risk getting stuck in the subway and miss their flights.

But back to this upgrade, being paid for by PRIVATE airlines, Airlines are under no obligation to pay for new transit.

New runways? Well they could do that if they eminent domain private property. Is forcing homeowners out of their homes in Howard Beach a good idea that would fly politically?

Airports are not for people who cannot afford car services. Often when people travel to their vacation destination or place their doing business, they may rent cars or they have to pay for some sort of lodging (Airbnb or hotels).

Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Main reason why people used clamor for a one seat trip to JFK is because public transportation to JFK passes through some "bad" neighborhoods...but nowadays the travelers squeeze in more than anybody else, certain cars when I come from or go to work are packed with nothing but travelers on the A train...I'm guaranteed to see at least 1 rolling suitcase on my ride home at least.

Not to mention, I live on the other side of town, so I can be at JFK in 15 minutes on public transportation and 25 driving. Works out for me at least when I need to fly out.
Many years ago we used to live behind Malloy High School. One of my jobs in college was at the Dan's Supermarket on Queens Blvd. JFK was almost neighborhood to us.

but I simply have a good image of the place though all passages through Jfk were not pleasant.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:

You live so close it doesn't matter anywhere. If you live in Manhattan you are really risking it taking the A train to the airport, as a delay could cost you your flight. To tell you the truth, if you got stuck in the A train coming from Far Rockaway (you got stuck due to a jam in the bridge it takes 3 hours to fix) you'll still miss your flight.

Serious travelers, the ones airlines market to are going to use car services or rental cars to get to airports. NYC's lower classes don't extensively travel.

The airport is upgraded/being made nice for the convenience of wealthy tourists and business people whose spending form a big part of NYC's economy.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 PM

There are other reasons capital costs are so high in NYC. The Second Avenue Subway has station length mezzanines. That's extremely expensive and time consuming. The new line was built very deep.

Also recent construction in NYC, when tunnel boring machines has either two tunnel boring machines building two tunnels, or one tunnel boring machine building one tunnel, then backing up and building another tunnel.

These days in Spain or Portugal one giant tunnel boring machine would build the entire tunnel including the shell of the station. Of course a lot of additional work has to be done, but this saves money.

NYC could hire European and Asian contractors who are familiar with DIFFERENT and BETTER construction methods. Of course these companies are highly unionized. But they have learned better more efficient construction methods because Europe, Japan, and China have more mass transit per capita than the US by far.

Subway rolling stock is made by Kawaski (Japanese) or Alstom (French) or Bombardier (Canadian and they screwed up the last order).

Americans don't have the economic scale of transit systems to do it well. Basically they should admit it and hire contractors (foreign) who know what they are doing. American companies don't even pretend to make trains for subway systems, so it's time to open up all the other contracts to foreign competition.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:56 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are other reasons capital costs are so high in NYC. The Second Avenue Subway has station length mezzanines. That's extremely expensive and time consuming. The new line was built very deep.

Also recent construction in NYC, when tunnel boring machines has either two tunnel boring machines building two tunnels, or one tunnel boring machine building one tunnel, then backing up and building another tunnel.

These days in Spain or Portugal one giant tunnel boring machine would build the entire tunnel including the shell of the station. Of course a lot of additional work has to be done, but this saves money.

NYC could hire European and Asian contractors who are familiar with DIFFERENT and BETTER construction methods. Of course these companies are highly unionized. But they have learned better more efficient construction methods because Europe, Japan, and China have more mass transit per capita than the US by far.

Subway rolling stock is made by Kawaski (Japanese) or Alstom (French) or Bombardier (Canadian and they screwed up the last order).

Americans don't have the economic scale of transit systems to do it well. Basically they should admit it and hire contractors (foreign) who know what they are doing. American companies don't even pretend to make trains for subway systems, so it's time to open up all the other contracts to foreign competition.
What's odd is that you think they don't. A contractor has to have experience in order to be qualified to bid on such projects. Most of the huge construction companies either have foreign partners (think Schiavone and Dragados, their Spanish partner) or are foreign firms to begin with. The Swedish contractor Skanska surely comes to mind. If you haven't seen their name all over the city, you're not paying attention. World Trade Center, Bayonne Bridge, LGA...

Another name you see on construction sites in the city is CCA Halmar. CCA as in China Construction America.

As for tunnel boring machines, they are built to spec for each project according to what they have to bore through. At times if the area to be tunneled through has a change in underground material (say soft ground vs. rock) you might need more than one.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Saw repetitious phrase

Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You live so close it doesn't matter anywhere. If you live in Manhattan you are really risking it taking the A train to the airport, as a delay could cost you your flight. To tell you the truth, if you got stuck in the A train coming from Far Rockaway (you got stuck due to a jam in the bridge it takes 3 hours to fix) you'll still miss your flight.

Serious travelers, the ones airlines market to are going to use car services or rental cars to get to airports. NYC's lower classes don't extensively travel.

The airport is upgraded/being made nice for the convenience of wealthy tourists and business people whose spending form a big part of NYC's economy.
I am not going to argue with you about how the train runs, I've been taking it my whole life, and you simply have not. You have no leg to stand on when discussing the A train. I simply have way more years of experience than you.

If the A train/AirTrain combo was so unreliable to get to JFK, nobody would take that method of transport, it's that simple. AirTrain would have closed already due to lack of ridership.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:04 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:

I feel the same way with lga. With a cab ride lga is least 10-15 minutes away.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I feel the same way with lga. With a cab ride lga is least 10-15 minutes away.
Also, tourists only recently started staying in the outer boroughs, outer boroughs didn't even use to have hotels like that. So it was like all tourists stayed in Manhattan back in the day. Another point.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Also, tourists only recently started staying in the outer boroughs, outer boroughs didn't even use to have hotels like that. So it was like all tourists stayed in Manhattan back in the day. Another point.
True. Also outer borough hotels are slightly cheaper than ones in Manhattan. I have 5 hotels near me and most are are filled with European and Latin American tourists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City