Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:18 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Goodness, so much nonsense in this thread it makes my head hurt.

There is virtually no correlation between city size and crime rate.

Chicago's grid layout is far more uniform than New York's. As for "far more economic opportunity," how does that opportunity compare to the cost of grabbing onto the bottom rung of the economic ladder in each city?

Where are all these poor white people and gangs in Chicago?

To the degree that murder rates can be used as a proxy for poverty and gang activity, consider the following: Of the 440 or so murders in Chicago so far this year, 13 of them have been non-Hispanic whites; 5 of them were domestic-related and 1 of them was a cop killed by a fleeing suspect.

Whoever made this list either sucks at statistics or sucks at research. There are whole bunch of cities not on that list that come before Chicago.

As the once tough inner-city neighborhoods are getting increasingly expensive, a crime and poverty wave is propagating outward and affecting neighborhoods where people weren't used to serious urban crime -- see the graphic below. There are a number of Chicago neighborhoods that had long been relatively safe and stable that are either starting to destabilize or have already turned the corner. Brighton Heights, Marquette Park, Gage Park, and Chicago Lawn are now basically a lost cause; Chatham, West Lawn, West Elsdon, Archer Heights, Belmont Cragin/Belmont Central, and Ashburn are in decline and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future; even neighborhoods that almost never saw serious crime incidents are seeing shootings and homicides such as Clearing and Garfield Ridge, Galewood/Montclare, Jefferson Park, Norwood Park and Sauganash.
Like I said .... local Chicagoans. STILL RECOMMEND .... the Northwest side neighborhoods you listed as bad crime too ..... to new to Chicago residents who won't find it convenient, or need to be near the core .

Some post from this recent Chicago forum thread. Still recommending neighborhoods that were claimed as if skyrocketing in crime here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...g-chicago.html

Some of their recommendations .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Norwood Park, Edgebrook, Jefferson Park, Edison Park, Sauganash, Forest Glen, Peterson Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Depending how long of a commute you can tolerate:
Lincoln Square
North Center
Roscoe Village
Lakeview
Edison Park
Norwood Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Niles, Jefferson Pk, Portage Pk, North Pk, Old Irving Pk for starters.
I still wonder.... how many pages of 10 post does the OP need? He disregards post that point out NYC's none fatal crimes increased too.

NYC got a better grip on crime .... after its 70s major police cut-backs. Back when police could do a lot more and did. Now in Chicago .... everyone has there cell-phone out and looking to sue their way out of the bad hoods if at all possible the police. Chicago clearly failed to decimate the gangs in better days gone by. The Feds could do much more.

No one thinks NYC has the answer for Chicago OP. Maybe you can keep the thread going here till ...... the Chicago forum allows crime threads again.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Read what is said this is about New York NOT Chicago. What did New York mayors do that made NYC safe it is a simple question?
No, it is not a simple question nor is the response simple either. Which is why many people are just started to joke with you.

If you want to know more about what got NYC from what it was in the 70s till now, read up on it.

People gave you lots of answers you don't seem to acknowledge.

Are you genuinely interested in why NYC's crime rate is lower?

I actually think you can't understand people's responses here because you cannot contextualize the information. If you want to really be able to discuss this with New Yorkers you need to be a lot more knowledgeable about NYC and coastal cities in general.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 AM

329 posts, read 204,278 times
Because we had Republican mayors

Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Very interesting thanks! I actually just saw this video as well. Not sure how old it is though. But sad that they are not around as much as they used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ZHfymsJEE

Mr. Curtis Silwa needs to put give that red beret and jacket a rest. A grown nearly old a$$ed man running around as if it was still the 1980's and he was some young tough.

You'd think he had been in the forces or something.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Sliwa is a hero for sure!

Oh I don't know about "hero".

Mr. Silwa came along at the right time with a good idea that caught on. GAs had their day and proved themselves useful in some ways. But way the man and his supporters go on you'd think Guardian Angels brought down violent street crime single handily.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:49 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Like I said .... local Chicagoans. STILL RECOMMEND .... the Northwest side neighborhoods you listed as bad crime too ..... to new to Chicago residents who won't find it convenient, or need to be near the core .

Some post from this recent Chicago forum thread. Still recommending neighborhoods that were claimed as if skyrocketing in crime here.
You have serious reading comprehension problems.

Quote:
Bet that is part of what helps New York! Have too love those Guardians for what they do there.
There are Guardian Angels in Chicago too, or at least there were. They don't seem very active these days.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
NYC is too expensive to do crime and plus the city price a lot of lower income people out of the city.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
Quote:

There are Guardian Angels in Chicago too, or at least there were. They don't seem very active these days.

I think I have only seem them once in Chicago and that was like the early 90s. Too bad we need them more than ever. And it sounds like NYC is starting to need them again as well.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:

I've told ya; all the originals are either seniors or very close. As for attracting new blood, Guardian Angels were a movement that came along at right time. That moment has passed and young kids today have other things to do.

Keep in mind for a good part of 1990's crime (especially violent) had begun dropping pretty much all over USA. As the crack cocaine epidemic (and crime wave it spawned) subsided you had less need for volunteer street patrols.

The other NYC LE efforts (Broken Windows, stop and frisk, Comstat) from Rudy G's days were exported to other major urban areas in 1980's and 1990's helping to bring down crime as well.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:21 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
You mean you didn't cite my sentence structure and grammar? That was a upgrade for me then.
I clearly saw your defense of Chicago in some post. But my comments were on ..... to include Chicago's Northwest side neighborhoods (I lived in and near WITH actual hoods. I can accept increases as most cities have had. Yes more Latino movement with does not make a hood in the making. These Northwest side areas are still great areas. Though I see the city neglected repaving more streets here in favor of more gentrifying and nearer the core ones. Also easy blue-line L access to them.
Nothing more intended to refute in your other comments. But the OP loved you saying good neighborhoods are all going high-crime. .... jumping on that one.

But I need to leave this thread go its course, without my comments I already made..... being neither a local currently to either city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City