Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 11:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,826,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I think that since NYC has a good safety net for poor/homeless people, we have a lower crime rate than other big cities. Because people are not as desperate.
Social services in NYC is very supportive of job training and continuing education. I think that helps a lot too as more poor/homeless peoooe can move up socioeconomically with the right assistance. I’ve known convicts who got graduate degrees from Columbia University.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:08 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,204,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
The city of New York is going up, though the state I believe is going down.

Really, Chicago lacks a lot that New York City has. It was probably similar when I was growing up in the 90s, but these days it feels like a very different city, and likely for the worse as it has a negative growth rate.
Honestly, Chicago has a booming core and still transforming to a more highly educated population with huge losses in its African-American neighborhoods.

It still is building high-rises and skyscraper highest end living. No shortage here. Gentrification still is spreading and sadly ..... taxes still going up. But housing cost NOTHING like the skyrocketing cast NYC is seeing.

No one visits Chicago ..... and leaves with a impression of declining and dirty or old and wore out looking. Quite the contrary. They see a city that impresses and attention paid to details. A core to envy too.

Sorry, more then taxes and those promoting crime increases .... gonna throw this city under the bus. It is one city.... that will fight doom of those saying it is all about population and declining. Heck, it will borrow its way to keep moving forward till it cannot. I'm merely saying it is like NYC in NOT letting the doomsayers then win..... and they did not.

NYC metro is losing people also. Just to add to a bit closer to home then the whole state.

NYC s the World's city today. It has massive immigration a city like Chicago will not. Its international investment and visitors. Chicago can only hope for a piece of the pie.

But it has greatly increased as a city for National tourism..... that matches NYC's. It has to rely far mere on its own investments in itself and National ones. Yet still is managing a booming core with population increases. In 2000 to 2010 it had the fastest growing core in the Nation. It still is and outward.
It actually, looks more like a NEW city then old Standard today.... and POLISHES its grit to restored grandeur well.

Aspects of its core. Plenty to boast of ....
Attached Thumbnails
Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-river-canyon-skycrapers-chicago-.jpg   Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-over-millenium-park-chicago-lakeview-east   Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-looking-west-chicgo-river-.jpg   Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-north-half-downtown-chicago-blue-lake   Why is New York city with such a huge population so much safer than Chicago?-morning-jog-chicagos-downtown-lakefront-.jpg  

Old 10-09-2018, 12:10 PM

9,883 posts, read 5,550,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You mean you didn't cite my sentence structure and grammar? That was a upgrade for me then.
I clearly saw your defense of Chicago in some post. But my comments were on ..... to include Chicago's Northwest side neighborhoods (I lived in and near WITH actual hoods. I can accept increases as most cities have had. Yes more Latino movement with does not make a hood in the making. These Northwest side areas are still great areas. Though I see the city neglected repaving more streets here in favor of more gentrifying and nearer the core ones. Also easy blue-line L access to them.
Nothing more intended to refute in your other comments. But the OP loved you saying good neighborhoods are all going high-crime. .... jumping on that one.

But I need to leave this thread go its course, without my comments I already made..... being neither a local currently to either city.
Okay, so which neighborhoods that I have said have gone "high crime" would you still classify as "good neighborhoods"?

Old 10-09-2018, 02:18 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,470,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies888 View Post
Under Giuliani and Bloomberg, things got better. Deblasio is trying to undo some of it. Definitely smell more pot and poop and pee when walking around nowadays.
Crime has continued to drop under DeB. The housing crisis became acute under Bloomberg with all of his tax giveaways to his wealthy developer friends. Please justify the billions spent to extend the 7 adding a mere one station. Was this a priority given that MTA is a crumbling organization.

I am no DeB supporter but Trump freaks pretending as if the city was a paradise before Deb need to be run off.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:24 PM

33,396 posts, read 46,826,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Crime has continued to drop under DeB. The housing crisis became acute under Bloomberg with all of his tax giveaways to his wealthy developer friends. Please justify the billions spent to extend the 7 adding a mere one station. Was this a priority given that MTA is a crumbling organization.
Can't trust any one of them

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-09-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I think that since NYC has a good safety net for poor/homeless people, we have a lower crime rate than other big cities. Because people are not as desperate.
Apparently you don't go to Midtown nor do you know how disgracefully dangerous the shelters are. They are so bad that many homeless prefer to freeze in the cold and be feasted on by rats than to use them. The city counts 60k so you bet its at least 2X that when we include those who they cannot find and others living on people's sofas.

What NYC has is a service based economy with many low paying jobs for those who provide services to the high end service sector. So one doesn't find ghettoes with miles and miles of people who are completely isolated from the labor force as is the case with many other cities. As a result our inner cities are less desperate as there are a larger pool of people earning legitimate incomes. So its likely that there is less of an oppositional attitude to attempting to live legally.

In any case I doubt that the criminals are from the poorest groups. Escaping in a vehicle is a frequent description and homeless people don't own cars and I doubt even smartphones.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Social services in NYC is very supportive of job training and continuing education. I think that helps a lot too as more poor/homeless peoooe can move up socioeconomically with the right assistance. I’ve known convicts who got graduate degrees from Columbia University.
While these programs do exist I doubt that they are doing much to help the chronically poor. You always claim that few nonwhites are in the growth sectors. The public sector is declining so isnt absorbing these people. Now that retail is also declining one can only ponder as to what the future will be as it is this sector which absorbed many of the poorly educated.

What might be helping poor NYers is the increased hostility towards undocumented migrants as I am seeing blacks (with US accents) doing certain jobs that one used to see mainly Mexicans/Central & South Americans doing. In my building quite a few of the cleaners are now black men.

We can all live on anecdotes but I would be more impressed if I saw reduced poverty levels in NYC and less income inequality. Poverty remains the same despite the minimum wage hike and income inequality has reached crisis points.

NYC has a major problem with large numbers of black and Puerto Rican/Dominican young males not in school, employment or training. NYCs large low income service sectors mean that many women work.

The social services that might reduce poverty might be our more comprehensive Medicaid which provides many jobs for females as home attendants, etc. Our health care sector is most likely proportionately larger than Chicago's with a comprehensive network of ambulatory care facilities and public hospitals.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:42 PM

I also checked some time ago data on Black Demographic before they put up a paywall. Of the 10 cities with the largest black populations, NYC was in the middle of the pack (DC, ATL and LA were at the top). Chicago was just above Detroit and Philly. This was using metrics like % of blacks with tertiary education, in management & professional jobs, absolute median household income and the black median household income as a % of metro area income.

I think that the decline of manufacturing in the Midwest (and Baltimore) hurt nonwhites in those cities more than it did in NYC where nonwhites were kept out by the trade unions controlled by the descendants of Euro immigrants. So they have a larger under class which is isolated from the world of legal work.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
While these programs do exist I doubt that they are doing much to help the chronically poor. You always claim that few nonwhites are in the growth sectors. The public sector is declining so isnt absorbing these people. Now that retail is also declining one can only ponder as to what the future will be as it is this sector which absorbed many of the poorly educated.

What might be helping poor NYers is the increased hostility towards undocumented migrants as I am seeing blacks (with US accents) doing certain jobs that one used to see mainly Mexicans/Central & South Americans doing. In my building quite a few of the cleaners are now black men.

We can all live on anecdotes but I would be more impressed if I saw reduced poverty levels in NYC and less income inequality. Poverty remains the same despite the minimum wage hike and income inequality has reached crisis points.

NYC has a major problem with large numbers of black and Puerto Rican/Dominican young males not in school, employment or training. NYCs large low income service sectors mean that many women work.

The social services that might reduce poverty might be our more comprehensive Medicaid which provides many jobs for females as home attendants, etc. Our health care sector is most likely proportionately larger than Chicago's with a comprehensive network of ambulatory care facilities and public hospitals.
Social services also refers people on welfare, with criminal records, etc to jobs like cleaning jobs. The city actually has made an actual push to get more people in the job market.

Obviously a lot more needs to be done, but this is not all on the government. It's on the people, including the chronically poor to make efforts to fix their situation and work with what they can work with.

It's also up to the chronically poor to take the time to vote for politicians who will better address their needs, and by needs I mean those who work for a city in which WORKERS can support themselves.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:

I am no DeB supporter but Trump freaks pretending as if the city was a paradise before Deb need to be run off.
Yes, the 7 line extension was a priority. It was not a give away to the MTA. It was a give way to developing the West Side of Manhattan. Which has substantially developed and gentrified on Hudson Yards.

I commend Bloomberg for developing decayed, industrial areas of the city that previous mayors were content to allow to rot. His vision became reality because his opponents had no vision beyond criticize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City