Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:22 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I like the idea of escalating penalties.

One thing I can never figure out is why anyone living in a city with stores available wouldn't choose to go into the stores to look at it, poke at it, try it out. Yeah, I know people always talk about how busy they are, but you'd think they'd take their expenditures seriously.

For one thing unless going into store to purchase you are wasting sales people's time going in and asking 1000 questions and not buying a GD thing.

Sales people have always had to deal with "window shoppers" and time wasters such as bored housewives and chuckleheaded females. But now in internet era things have hit a whole new level. This is especially true for white goods such as appliances, or electronics. It is one reason why you really don't see well compensated and or educated sales people on floors anymore. Just a bunch of kids and others working for minimum wage or barely above.

Same really applies across the board from books rolling on down to music (for those that still buy physical media such as CDs or whatever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I like the idea of escalating penalties.

One thing I can never figure out is why anyone living in a city with stores available wouldn't choose to go into the stores to look at it, poke at it, try it out. Yeah, I know people always talk about how busy they are, but you'd think they'd take their expenditures seriously.
Some people really are busy. For example if I need to get an ethernet cable, where would I go to get it? I would have to travel somewhere away from home and that would be at minimum, 30 minutes of travel time.

Online, I can't touch and feel a product, but I can review the reviews. I never look at anything that isn't Prime and 5 stars. Then I read the reviews and based on that feedback, I make my choice. I'm rarely disappointed in the product I end up with.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Some people really are busy. For example if I need to get an ethernet cable, where would I go to get it? I would have to travel somewhere away from home and that would be at minimum, 30 minutes of travel time.

Online, I can't touch and feel a product, but I can review the reviews. I never look at anything that isn't Prime and 5 stars. Then I read the reviews and based on that feedback, I make my choice. I'm rarely disappointed in the product I end up with.
Rite Aid sells ethernet cables, along with printer supplies (mostly ink) and tons of other things.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
the other day I needed an 6 outlet extension cord. I went to my local hardware store, there were no prices on it but i figured how much could they possibly charge, got to the register, and it was $16!... and cash only. I was already there and needed it so I just paid it. but sure enough I went home and checked on amazon and they had the exact same one for $3.

Never again.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
the other day I needed an 6 outlet extension cord. I went to my local hardware store, there were no prices on it but i figured how much could they possibly charge, got to the register, and it was $16!... and cash only. I was already there and needed it so I just paid it. but sure enough I went home and checked on amazon and they had the exact same one for $3.

Never again.
I never trust places that don't put prices up. You got bait and switch.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:07 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
NYC has lost alot of its character and uniqueness... and im not sure what can be done about it. I don't think it's greedy LL's anymore, might have been the case before, but NYC in general is just too expensive. Store owners can't live here anymore. And now we're getting to the point where even much of banking can be done online too. It seems banks aren't going to come in and save the LL's anymore.

Not sure what the solution is really.
Easy: Lower property values and lower rent. Correct to fair market value based on demand.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Rite Aid sells ethernet cables, along with printer supplies (mostly ink) and tons of other things.
I was looking for 500 feet. I don't have a Rite Aid near me. The Walgreens however, has a limited supply of geekware. It is pretty pathetic.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
www.monoprice.com.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 AM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
I think the whole model of retail stores was built up during the baby boom. People just cannot afford the luxury anymore. So the retail stores that are thriving now are near the high luxury customers who are more like upper upper class?

I've heard of a new mall being built in Miami. They plan to make it like a mini theme park with attractions other than just retail. If you think about it, a lot of retail stores really are boring.

Eating out at restaurants was also a luxury before the baby boom too and I find it odd so many people still eat out as frequently as they do.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:22 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
A good model would be Chelsea Market. Small shop in shops, office space, restaurants, etc.

Apparel and Footwear stores need to transition to a showroom model. No inventory just samples of the merchandise so people can test and then buy in store so it can be drop-shipped to their home or delivered back to the store so they can pick-up.

Also, retail stores should create partnerships to split the cost, increase foot traffic, etc.

Nike+Levis+Away luggage = 1 retail store.

Lacoste+Puma+3x1 Denim = 1 retail store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City