Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just going to be mention this. Funded any which way, done in any direction, done at any age, done with any government, ngo or private program US or otherwise, done through work, school, or leisure. The airports here are garbage in comparison to other world cities but despite that, you got a lot at your fingertips if you look for the opportunities. Just pointing this out there if anyone feels stuck in a rut.

This isn’t something you see elsewhere and it makes sense to make use of all this. You can come back.
Should also note that ironically, airport security is much much more laid back in NYC at JFK / LGA / EWR than anywhere else in the country. They aren't terribly strict and the line moves fast. Compare that to coming back from Florida or California and the TSA are total fascists and strict about every little thing and the lines are huge and slow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 01:33 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Should also note that ironically, airport security is much much more laid back in NYC at JFK / LGA / EWR than anywhere else in the country. They aren't terribly strict and the line moves fast. Compare that to coming back from Florida or California and the TSA are total fascists and strict about every little thing and the lines are huge and slow!
Amen to that. Coming back from Chicago during a prime hour is a chore. I remember sitting in sweltering O'hare for 3 hours with no AC. I'm so glad I have Global Entry and by proxy TSA Pre.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:20 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you just saying that we have major airports here?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
I found this out a long time ago. A tip shared to me from a "REAL" uncle, on my 17th b day.

Just enter any subway line, and most of the US is just a plane,train bus transfer away.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Devil's advocate: I'd call it easier to travel 'abroad' within Europe. Easy border crossings and cheap flights from ULCCs like Ryanair.
Agreed..especially if you have a dual citizenship like me. I can travel throughout the EU with my French passport.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Devil's advocate: I'd call it easier to travel 'abroad' within Europe. Easy border crossings and cheap flights from ULCCs like Ryanair.
You can also take the train across borders.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Agreed..especially if you have a dual citizenship like me. I can travel throughout the EU with my French passport.
It's why moving to Spain was one of the best things I could have done. I too can travel throughout Europe with my Spanish ID. For dual citizens you don't have to use your passport, you can also use your national ID card.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Just going to be mention this. Funded any which way, done in any direction, done at any age, done with any government, ngo or private program US or otherwise, done through work, school, or leisure. The airports here are garbage in comparison to other world cities but despite that, you got a lot at your fingertips if you look for the opportunities. Just pointing this out there if anyone feels stuck in a rut.

This isn’t something you see elsewhere and it makes sense to make use of all this. You can come back.
Many New Yorkers are first or second generation Americans. If you have parents from that nation, you maybe to get citizenship in that nation (depending on the nation'a laws). If you have any Jewish ancestry (and you do not have to be religiously Jewish) there are several nations that have Jewish laws of return. That got me into Spain.

It's really weird that so many people whose families barely spent time in NY (first or generation) torture themselves into remaining, or act as if they are glued to some crappy neighborhood. If people were more open minded their problems would be SOLVED.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Everyone should travel. Even better live abroad for a while. Then we wouldn't get so many ridiculous statements being asserted on here about this that and the other only in NY, or only in US, or the US is a police state, or "white people" are this or "black people" are that, or "all religions are equivalent", or the US is the freest country in the world, or the NYPD are the best police etc etc and all the other preposterously naïve assertions people churn out.

And every teenager at 15 - from the richest suburbs to the poorest projects - should go live and work in a 3rd world country for a year for all of them to get some goddam context. The kind of context most new immigrants have (but sadly, often not their kids).

As also said above, its much easier and cheaper to fly around from European capitals than from here.
+1

One of the best posts on this forum ever.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:

Religious organizations fund travel as well. To study, for missionary or volunteer work, and for other purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City