Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:20 PM

36,973 posts, read 38,986,608 times

Advertisements

Just going to be mention this. Funded any which way, done in any direction, done at any age, done with any government, ngo or private program US or otherwise, done through work, school, or leisure. The airports here are garbage in comparison to other world cities but despite that, you got a lot at your fingertips if you look for the opportunities. Just pointing this out there if anyone feels stuck in a rut.

This isn’t something you see elsewhere and it makes sense to make use of all this. You can come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 06:21 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,846,050 times
True, it's hard to get quick affordable direct flights to Asia though compared to the West coast. (Except Japan or SK since it goes over the north pole)

Old 10-19-2018, 08:48 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,599,183 times
Quick definitely not, but affordable? Definitely. Imo to Asia, the only place that is cheaper is LA and I would never live there. SF is about the same price. Vancouver might be pretty well priced though, but Canada is a can of worms I don't want to deal with. Anchorage, well, I'd consider it if there were jobs and less crime.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:07 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,602,444 times
Devil's advocate: I'd call it easier to travel 'abroad' within Europe. Easy border crossings and cheap flights from ULCCs like Ryanair.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:20 AM

965 posts, read 1,107,569 times
My eyes are starting to open up.

I have never really "traveled" except once to Vegas. Everywhere else, Houston, Minneapolis, Dublin and Belfast have all been work (and some fun) trips. I never had a passport until I was rushing to get one this year when I signed on to a new a job. They had no hesitations sending me around. Been to Minneapolis, Dublin and Belfast in the past 3 months. With Hong Kong looking like the next stop.

I appreciate this because I have done all of this alone. I said I would never want to go out of the country by myself to some place I never been. But I got over it. There really is so much more to life than just these 5 boroughs.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:26 AM

25,363 posts, read 36,908,741 times
I don't like travel.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:36 AM

251 posts, read 147,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I don't like travel.
Not even a road trip? Or, say, a weekend in Niagara Falls? No judgment (different strokes for different folks), but can I ask, why do you not like to travel?

I have several relatives like this, and I honestly cannot wrap my head around it.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 AM

965 posts, read 1,107,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
Not even a road trip? Or, say, a weekend in Niagara Falls? No judgment (different strokes for different folks), but can I ask, why do you not like to travel?

I have several relatives like this, and I honestly cannot wrap my head around it.
My whole thing was getting on a plane, especially alone. But at the time I wasn't giving up a good job offer over some fear. I overcame and now I love it. I wanna go to Cancun and find a Mexican lover now.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 AM

1,183 posts, read 701,413 times
Everyone should travel. Even better live abroad for a while. Then we wouldn't get so many ridiculous statements being asserted on here about this that and the other only in NY, or only in US, or the US is a police state, or "white people" are this or "black people" are that, or "all religions are equivalent", or the US is the freest country in the world, or the NYPD are the best police etc etc and all the other preposterously naïve assertions people churn out.

And every teenager at 15 - from the richest suburbs to the poorest projects - should go live and work in a 3rd world country for a year for all of them to get some goddam context. The kind of context most new immigrants have (but sadly, often not their kids).

As also said above, its much easier and cheaper to fly around from European capitals than from here.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:43 AM

251 posts, read 147,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Everyone should travel. Even better live abroad for a while. Then we wouldn't get so many ridiculous statements being asserted on here about this that and the other only in NY, or only in US, or the US is a police state, or "white people" are this or "black people" are that, or "all religions are equivalent", or the US is the freest country in the world, or the NYPD are the best police etc etc and all the other preposterously naïve assertions people churn out.

And every teenager at 15 - from the richest suburbs to the poorest projects - should go live and work in a 3rd world country for a year for all of them to get some goddam context. The kind of context most new immigrants have (but sadly, often not their kids).

As also said above, its much easier and cheaper to fly around from European capitals than from here.
You’ve said it all! My sentiments 100 percent.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City