Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,392 times

Advertisements

In NYC.
Recently installed solar panel, but I was told the city (DOB) need to come to inspect for electrical to sign it off.
The problem is that the electrical box room is located in the cellar, and I have kitchen, bath, and rooms put up in the cellar. Will the inspector fine me, will he care? What should I do? Tear everything down?
The electrical box room is located by the stairway, can I put up partition or maybe bookshelf to block the view of the rest of the cellar?
Or should I call the solar company to remove the panels and call it a loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 03:39 PM

95 posts, read 154,557 times
How is solar working out for you? I have been considering installing panels but I’m not sure as yet

Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 PM

419 posts, read 625,551 times
Yeah if dob see your kitchen they gonn issue a summon.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:25 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
How is solar working out for you? I have been considering installing panels but I’m not sure as yet
OP Probably signed up with one of those companies that installs them for "Free" and then you sign a long term contract to buy back electricity from them.

If so, many people find that they don't save money and in fact sometimes pay more than con-ed. Bad thing is that you are locked in and can't switch.

If a solar company comes knocking on your door, don't answer.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:48 PM

95 posts, read 154,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
OP Probably signed up with one of those companies that installs them for "Free" and then you sign a long term contract to buy back electricity from them.

If so, many people find that they don't save money and in fact sometimes pay more than con-ed. Bad thing is that you are locked in and can't switch.

If a solar company comes knocking on your door, don't answer.
Solar is worth it if you get good sun and you purchase instead of lease. Lease was a terrible idea and I feel bad for those that signed up for it. Maybe it works for some but I would never sign up for a 20 year lease contract. If you purchase the payback period could be as short as 4 years depending on your usage then it is free electricity for a long time.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:04 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolghl View Post
In NYC.
Recently installed solar panel, but I was told the city (DOB) need to come to inspect for electrical to sign it off.
The problem is that the electrical box room is located in the cellar, and I have kitchen, bath, and rooms put up in the cellar. Will the inspector fine me, will he care? What should I do? Tear everything down?
The electrical box room is located by the stairway, can I put up partition or maybe bookshelf to block the view of the rest of the cellar?
Or should I call the solar company to remove the panels and call it a loss?

If any work was done on your property that required DOB permits or whatever, and that didn't happen, then yes all bets are off when city enters your property.

Will the particular DOB inspector notice or even care that your basement has been carved up? That falls into what he should do versus what he *will* do, and only the inspector knows that answer.

In theory the inspection should involve nothing more than examining the box/electrical work. Thus you *might* get away with somehow blocking off area beyond (curtains or whatever) so only what needs to be seen is visible.

But remember this is a DOB employee we're talking about; they have access to the C of O (certificate of occupancy) for your home. Thus they know or can find out what things should look like at least on paper. If the guy sees something that arouses suspicion outside of why he was sent (that electrical box/work), he can say nothing to *you*, but make notes and or otherwise drop a quarter at the office. This may result in DOB requesting full access to your property and or at least the basement to see just what you've got down there.

It this point it's a crap shoot; you can go ahead with the DOB inspection with things as they are, and take your lumps *if* anything happens. Or decide not to go ahead at this time (or ever) until you sort out things in your basement.

I like to live dangerously; I'd go ahead with the inspection as the DOB has no reason to go nosing around your basement. Carefully arrange a curtain or something that blocks off what you don't want seen and play it cool. My guess the guy will be in and out without any issues.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If any work was done on your property that required DOB permits or whatever, and that didn't happen, then yes all bets are off when city enters your property.

Will the particular DOB inspector notice or even care that your basement has been carved up? That falls into what he should do versus what he *will* do, and only the inspector knows that answer.

In theory the inspection should involve nothing more than examining the box/electrical work. Thus you *might* get away with somehow blocking off area beyond (curtains or whatever) so only what needs to be seen is visible.

But remember this is a DOB employee we're talking about; they have access to the C of O (certificate of occupancy) for your home. Thus they know or can find out what things should look like at least on paper. If the guy sees something that arouses suspicion outside of why he was sent (that electrical box/work), he can say nothing to *you*, but make notes and or otherwise drop a quarter at the office. This may result in DOB requesting full access to your property and or at least the basement to see just what you've got down there.

It this point it's a crap shoot; you can go ahead with the DOB inspection with things as they are, and take your lumps *if* anything happens. Or decide not to go ahead at this time (or ever) until you sort out things in your basement.

I like to live dangerously; I'd go ahead with the inspection as the DOB has no reason to go nosing around your basement. Carefully arrange a curtain or something that blocks off what you don't want seen and play it cool. My guess the guy will be in and out without any issues.

I am in the same situation as you. Solar comp said its fine but in still paranoid, let me know how it goes

Old 06-28-2019, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
Hi. OP, i'm in the same situation now. did you pass the inspection?

Old 06-28-2019, 11:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
Solar is worth it if you get good sun and you purchase instead of lease. Lease was a terrible idea and I feel bad for those that signed up for it. Maybe it works for some but I would never sign up for a 20 year lease contract. If you purchase the payback period could be as short as 4 years depending on your usage then it is free electricity for a long time.
Leasing means you are signing your house away. They will put a lien on your house. You have to keep paying for it, after the lease runs out prey they don't overcharge you. If you decline, you have either pay them to remove it or buy it out. Essentially double paying. You get no federal rebate.

If you sell the house the buyer may want the panels paid off which means you have to buy it out.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 2,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Leasing means you are signing your house away. They will put a lien on your house. You have to keep paying for it, after the lease runs out prey they don't overcharge you. If you decline, you have either pay them to remove it or buy it out. Essentially double paying. You get no federal rebate.

If you sell the house the buyer may want the panels paid off which means you have to buy it out.
Thats not true. For example like sun run’s Lease contracts states that when the lease ends, they will put the roof back in its leak proof condition and remove all panels. Also giving u option of buying it for what its worth.

When selling a house, im sure the buyer wouldnt mind solar. Its installed and pass inspection. He dont have to go thru that headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: