Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:33 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,135,702 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I've been having an issue with this woman that sleeps in my building. Supposedly her family lives across the hall from me, but she often sleeps in the entrance or in the basement along with all her stuff. She doesn't seem dangerous, just mentally ill (talking to herself, yelling randomly outside during the summer). The super had to put a lock on the laundry room door because she would set up down there.

I've tried getting in touch with the landlord but he doesn't respond. Clearly she isn't welcome into her families home. She smells and looks like she hasn't showered in quite some time. I put in a request on 311 but they came back and stated the homeless person is in a building so they can't enter. I don't know if I have rights to contact the police to have her removed at least from the common areas. I grow tired of her sleeping right in the middle of the tiny entrance with all her garbage. Someone from another building even came over and said she was sleeping in his place too and he couldn't get his deliveries from UPS because the delivery driver was concerned on entering.

What options do I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 02:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,866,103 times
[quote=skilldeadly;53492323]Hello all. I've been having an issue with this woman that sleeps in my building. Supposedly her family lives across the hall from me, but she often sleeps in the entrance or in the basement along with all her stuff. She doesn't seem dangerous, just mentally ill (talking to herself, yelling randomly outside during the summer). The super had to put a lock on the laundry room door because she would set up down there.

I've tried getting in touch with the landlord but he doesn't respond. Clearly she isn't welcome into her families home. She smells and looks like she hasn't showered in quite some time. I put in a request on 311 but they came back and stated the homeless person is in a building so they can't enter. I don't know if I have rights to contact the police to have her removed at least from the common areas. I grow tired of her sleeping right in the middle of the tiny entrance with all her garbage. Someone from another building even came over and said she was sleeping in his place too and he couldn't get his deliveries from UPS because the delivery driver was concerned on entering.

Call 911. If she has no ID not keys to an apartment she will be arrested. Tell them you feel unsafe with a mentally in homeless person in your building. When she is sleeping take photos on your phone. Send that them to 311. Do not make any excuses for this woman or why you did not call 911.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:59 AM

25,364 posts, read 36,922,563 times
Oh, how unpleasant for you, skilldeadly.

It sounds like this is most likely a landlord issue around you warranty of habitability.
Take LOTS of pictures.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,849,013 times
Yeah every post like this reminds me how good I have it. I can actually get in touch with my landlord and on site super would have called the police by now to have her removed. My super has like 4 young children and an old mother in law that helps with the kids. No way she would let a vagrant stay on the premises

On top of it she camps out in the building next door? WTF.

No reason for a Woman to be homeless. Shelters give priority to Women. They will not turn her away.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:47 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,380,973 times
Sad.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 AM

126 posts, read 83,402 times
Call 911. Trespassing

Old 10-29-2018, 07:52 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,055,320 times
I think you should call 911. This link https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/s...rson-complaint

shows that you call 911 in the case of a homeless person "creating a hazard" -- which they are, since they are trespassing on your property and making conditions unsafe enough that the UPS driver doesn't even want to enter.

You should also continue documenting dates and times, and continue to complain to your landlord. Ultimately the LL is responsible for making your home safe to live in, and the responsibility falls on him to do so.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,128,882 times
You might also consider calling 211 and asking if there is an agency that will come and assist this homeless person. You'd likely be doing them a favor.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:49 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,677,030 times
Call 211 for outreach first. I understand wanting her out of the building, but do you want to be responsible if some hyped-up cop who thinks mentally ill people are freaky weirdos shoots this woman?

Old 10-29-2018, 11:16 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,218,365 times
I had this issue. Police never arrested him. Just told him to leave. He’d walk right back in after cops left...
Tenants gave him keys to front door, food, $.
Super yelled at him at 3 am to get out...
He died otherwise still would be sleeping on the rooftop.

Unless she dies she isn’t going anywhere. Or commits a crime...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City