Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:02 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I am completely for prosecuting corruption in Albany which is why I wish Preet had run and would love to see another Moreland Commission and this time protected from being disbanded mid-run. This doesn't mean that the pursuit of one case means being incapable of pursuing another. If it is in the office's jurisdiction and there is reasonable cause to pursue a case, then it is the job of that office to do so and I support the idea of a public servant actually doing the job they were elected to do. I'm trying to see what merit you think comes from dropping the case against ExxonMobil here.

It is certainly within the purview of the NYS AG office, and regardless of the outcome, it is important to signal that murkiness in how a publicly listed company does its accounting practices and what it publicly states as its operating procedures and value is vital to a functioning free market where investors can have as great a level of confidence as possible that they are not being mislead in their investments. It's fine to not know the future, because there is no crystal ball, but that's different from simply stating something to shareholders on how they operate and are valued and then operating in a different way. I understand this is not a completely straightforward case, but this is why there is an investigation and a trial. The short of it is that your original posts on this completely missed what the investigation and lawsuit are about, but somehow you read some headline about climate change and the AG and started foaming at the mouth without knowing much of anything. That's very unfortunate, but as far as I know, not too bad since it's unlikely that you are a candidate for AG or will be anytime soon.

James' is running of more of the same (go after Trump!) while Wofford is running on an anti-corruption platform. Since NYS will most likely turn blue it's in our best interest to have a non-Democratic AG. That's my $0.02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:45 PM

214 posts, read 197,582 times
All you people asking for Preet to run, yes he did GREAT work but you understand the politics around this don't you?

Like Bugsy said, interesting who got through the primaries on this. James is qualified but she is endorsed but the state Democratic machine. You all understand who controls that right??

You don't get your name on a Democratic ticket in this state without having to kiss the ring

Old 11-06-2018, 09:13 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
I’m happy for her. First African American NYS attorney general. More power to her

Old 11-06-2018, 11:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
Crap!!!

Old 11-07-2018, 07:53 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
Public Advocate for the City of New York, that's who she is

Here is the link
https://advocate.nyc.gov/about

Old 11-07-2018, 12:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
All you people asking for Preet to run, yes he did GREAT work but you understand the politics around this don't you?

Like Bugsy said, interesting who got through the primaries on this. James is qualified but she is endorsed but the state Democratic machine. You all understand who controls that right??

You don't get your name on a Democratic ticket in this state without having to kiss the ring
You mean kiss rings.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:45 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I’m happy for her. First African American NYS attorney general. More power to her

Old 11-07-2018, 01:45 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
James' is running of more of the same (go after Trump!) while Wofford is running on an anti-corruption platform. Since NYS will most likely turn blue it's in our best interest to have a non-Democratic AG. That's my $0.02.
Do you actually keep track of what the office of the AG has pursued in the last decade or so? I don't like Cuomo and I dislike James cozying up to him in the run up to the primaries because I don't want any hesitancy in removing Cuomo whenever a fat, juicy case is found. He was one of three men in the room, and the other two got locked up and any politician that has that many people around him not just indicted, but convicted, is pretty much crooked.

That being said, how much about Wofford do you know? If you're just voting for him just as a loose check on one party's power, then I highly disagree with that. I think it should still come down to who can actually perform the job better and is better for the public. Wofford has almost no track record in anything like this and the few things he's actually spoken out about don't go into detail and some of them seem flat out bad to me like how he keeps coming back to the Martin Act which doesn't sound very appealing to me given his professional background.

All sort of a moot point now, but I'm glad you at least took some time to look up the ExxonMobil court case though!

Old 11-08-2018, 01:57 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post

She'll be a disaster.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:07 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
She'll be a disaster.
Your opinion is inconsequential. Meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City