Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 04:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times

Advertisements

actually there is an active nightlife scene in NE queens outside of Flushing. The Korean town in Murray hill and the bars in Bayside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I do like some of the nightlife in Flushing and I like introducing people not familiar to it by taking them over there. I'd say that it's just a very different kind of nightlife rather than better; lot more lounges and ktvs and it's fun to take people to some of the more ridiculously appointed ktvs. Now in terms of numbers of people and venues and variety, north Brooklyn has it better. It's nice to go from live concerts to djs to performances to dive bars to clubs to raves. When was the last time you went out in Williamsburg or Bushwick? From what I remember from your previous posts, you seemed to be pretty removed from any kind of nightlife.

I've actually also taken to (well, taken by people to) Jackson Heights for nightlife recently. That neighborhood is ridiculous though a few parts of that scene can be pretty skeevy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
what is night life like in Jackson Heights? it is a little dangerous i heard at night
Lots of dive-y bars and odd dance places and some cute Thai places. There's also a variety of live music / dj set places in the area which I go to because I have never heard of much of what's playing and find it interesting. Watch out for the dive-y looking bars, especially along Roosevelt, that are filled with some pretty desperate looking dudes though. Those places are only fun to watch other people, but they don't like being watched so much

If you want another place to do some ethnic nightlife tourism, no offense to anyone, Brighton Beach is flatout amazing.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
The tech heavy Midtown south is the most expensive office market in the city. The rents in LIC are so much lower. I can imagine a wave of tech companies especially the startups move to LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Best solution for Amazon specifically--they wanted a single campus more or less for many workers to be built immediately. Only LIC really has that. The center of NYC's tech industry is still and will remain the stretch from Chelsea through Union Square and Flatiron. That's not going to be arguable. The secondary centers are DUMBO/downtown Brooklyn and recently Williamsburg/Greenpoint near the waterfront. Amazon will put LIC maybe on par with the former and likely above the latter.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The tech heavy Midtown south is the most expensive office market in the city. The rents in LIC are so much lower. I can imagine a wave of tech companies especially the startups move to LIC
Yea, they are much much lower as Queens is not more expensive than Manhattan and likely never will be. LIC can have some cost-savings for people, but the wave you're talking about is unlikely to happen. People don't move to Silicon Valley because it's cheaper.

LIC has, for NYC, a huge amount of buildable areas while still being in easy commute of many desirable neighborhoods. That is the best fit for what Amazon wanted, but that's not necessarily the same thing for other companies. Google's been rapidly expanding its presence in Chelsea, but it's a gradual build up rather than a single campus prize competition. Google alone will probably have as many employees in Chelsea and nearby if not more by the time Amazon ramps up to 25K in Long Island City and that general Midtown south area plays host to a massive scene of both established companies and startups.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for LIC to become the major tech center for NYC--just that it'll be a real uphill battle.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-08-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 04:15 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Those true tech startup companies would most likely move to a WeWork space (which are numerous throughout the city).

Old 11-08-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
actually there is an active nightlife scene in NE queens outside of Flushing. The Korean town in Murray hill and the bars in Bayside.
I've done that with Korean crowds and Chinese crowds and dive bars with people who are neither--I would not call that particularly active in comparison to places that are actually considered nightlife destinations but it's nice that it exists.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:26 PM

766 posts, read 507,902 times
Google just announced more jobs in the west village. They are building a 12 story new campus

Old 11-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Google just announced more jobs in the west village. They are building a 12 story new campus
Oh wow what a surprise.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:40 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Sorry, but no. It’s Queens. The prestige and thus price of Manhattan will never be matched.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:41 PM

294 posts, read 263,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post
That would help a lot, I don't know whats happening with the Islanders. I heard they were supposed to build a arena in Elmont. That would help also.

Barclay Center turned way better than I thought, they have big performers there every week. And sports games. It puts Brooklyn over the top imo.
The Islanders arena is being built just over the boarder from Queens Village. The Islanders community outreach has been good. They've been coming into the local park by my house and holding hockey clinics for the local children. I heard they'll be having concerts at the arena as well. I just hope people come into Queens Village and support our local businesses. Hopefully, Hempstead ave gets cleaned up a bit. Regardless, I think the Islanders are going to be good neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City