Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,978 times

Advertisements

I've been doing research on suitable areas for myself and my partner to move to this August. He's got a place at SVA to do his MA and I'll be working to support us. Thing is we're coming from England and have only been to NY once! Which makes it a bit hard to gauge which areas to move to, and we can't exactly view lots of places.

We visited Williamsburg on recommendation of a friend and we didn't take to it so much (Graham Ave) we're looking for somewhere greener with a safe family feel. And we're on one tight budget! Thanks to the astronomical fees for international students!

ALSO and maybe this should be in a new thread, but would anyone know of an institution which offers sponsorships/help for international students? We've checked out a good few but perhaps has anyone had first hand experience and can offer more 'real' advice?

I'd love to hear some reviews from people living in Astoria, Dumbo, Carroll Gardens.. Safety, Affordability and Ambience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:18 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
IMHO, you'd do better to determine exactly what your budget is for housing per month, provide that info, i.e., "we can afford $1800 and need either a large one bedroom or a small two bedroom" and go from there.

I don't really see what good it is to you to get reviews of a place like DUMBO where rents for a one bedroom are at least $2800 a month when it doesn't sound to me like you can afford that.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:34 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
"tight budget" and NYC do not equate. Though, "tight" is relative.
You MUST be more specific. BTW, "SVA" escape me.

Understand NYC is a very expensive place, and all the neighborhoods you've mentioned, save Astoria are probably beyond a "tight" budget. In addition, to the fact, that none are "green".

Again, "green" and NYC rarely equate, and there are few "family oriented" NYC neighborhoods that can be had on a "tight budget".

For your "partner" a dorm room might be wise; for you, LONG vacations....

Luck!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,978 times
In terms of NY being an expensive City, this we have no issue with as we both currently live and work in London and have done for 4 years. We rent a small one bedroom apartment and the commute into central London is 20mins.
Its usually a case of "working-to-live" but the School of Visual Arts (SVA) is an extremely prestigious institute and my partner is over the moon! It really is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him, and us.

$1800 is about right! A studio or a one bedroom. As I said, we live in London and the difference in living costs between here and NY is small. Infact we'll be making a huge saving on travel/commuting. Your Metrocards are chhhheeeaappp in comparison to our travelcards! Wallet denting!

The 'green' request is for somewhere which is close to a park or water, we don't have that luxury at the moment and I thought it would be a nice bonus. Given our budget though, we're not fussed. We're just gathering information!
Any ideas for us?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 AM

another important question:
will your partner be at the SVA buildings on the east side of town or the west? I think most of the main campus is on the east side around 23rd st., but the MFA studios are on the west side.

If you want just a studio for $1800 you might be able to afford to live in the "nicer" areas of Brooklyn like Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Park Slope. That's what I would choose if that were my budget. If you can't find anything in your price range in those neighborhoods, try Fort Greene, Greenpoint (though it can be kind of similar to Williamsburg in many ways), or Windsor Terrace.

Even more affordable:
If you want more space, Astoria would be a good choice as long as you are near the park and the water (since green space is what you are looking for). Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, is also a nice place where you can get more for your money and being by the water is quite nice. The downside is the commute can be long. Forest Hills, Queens is another spot to check out, though the name makes it sound more green than I think it really is. Kew Gardens is nearby and I think there's a big park there. They are both on the E/F express train so commutes aren't so so bad but you should doublecheck commute times.

P.S. try a search like this and see what comes up new york craigslist > > all apartments: search

also remember that some landlords will want to see proof of income (annually 40x montly rent) and some will want to do credit checks. Not sure how this works for non-Americans. might be more difficult.

Last edited by Henna; 04-05-2008 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,898 times
All of Henna's suggestions are spot on for what you are looking for. For green space though, I would second the suggestion of Park Slope as Prospect Park is right there and the Botanical Gardens are within easy reach.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 AM

415 posts, read 1,394,965 times
Where I live. Greenpoint. By the way, the graham ave section of williamsburg, sucks.
For 1800 you can get a nice little place in greenpoint near the G train that is very safe with more of a family vibe you are looking for. Billyburg is for the young drunk hipsters who are still on mommy and daddys tab.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,345 times
[SIZE=2]If you live in Bay Ridge near Shore Road you will have all the park and water you can handle. The commute by express bus is expensive but fast. With what you're saving on rent it's affordable. It's nice to be able to jog or bike for miles along the water and spending weekends lying in the grass reading is nice too. There are some very good restaurants as well. If you like to be out in the city until 2 am, though you'll need to take cabs which costs a fortune. The train is so awful I won't even mention it as an option but up until midnight you can get a bus back home. Bay Ridge isn't for everyone but it's a nice place to live. If you're looking for "little Manhattan", this isn't it.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
[SIZE=2]If you live in Bay Ridge near Shore Road you will have all the park and water you can handle. The commute by express bus is expensive but fast. With what you're saving on rent it's affordable. It's nice to be able to jog or bike for miles along the water and spending weekends lying in the grass reading is nice too. There are some very good restaurants as well. If you like to be out in the city until 2 am, though you'll need to take cabs which costs a fortune. The train is so awful I won't even mention it as an option but up until midnight you can get a bus back home. Bay Ridge isn't for everyone but it's a nice place to live. If you're looking for "little Manhattan", this isn't it.
[/SIZE]
Finally someone on here who knows whats up. Everyone on this forum is recommending the same handful of middle class neighborhoods that contradict the Manhattan lifestyle (starting with Bay Ridge) to newcomers who want Manhattan amenities as if the ultimate goal is to Manhattanize all these places and strip the unique neighborhood character from the outer boroughs. Bay Ridge is nice because it is NOT Manhattan.

More people need to most realize newcomers want to hang out in Manhattan 24/7 and experience what they saw on tv their whole lives. This is especially so for the ones who are only coming for a short time. To do so, they would need access to late night transportation, and waiting for the R train late at night back to Bay Ridge is going to lead to a miserable time in NY.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty View Post
we're looking for somewhere greener with a safe family feel. And we're on one tight budget!

Safety, Affordability and Ambience!

DITC, did you see the OP say they want to live in a replacement for Manhattan? I didn't. See above.

In fact, Bay Ridge does fit the bill in many ways.

Just want to get on your soap box again, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City