Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 PM

195 posts, read 130,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Only 6 days on City Data and already in the running for number one troll. Oh wait, we already have a guy who comes in first every single day, so you can be runner up.
You are the troll, because you attacked me first. I merely defended myself against your "gold digger" comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 08:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
You are the troll, because you attacked me first. I didn't call you any names, I merely defended myself against your "gold digger" comment.
This is really off topic, but you're asking for places where you can meet rich men. That's the definition of gold digger. So, no, my comment was not an attack, just putting on a label on what was already stated.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henna View Post
this is really off topic, but you're asking for places where you can meet rich men. That's the definition of gold digger. So, no, my comment was not an attack, just putting on a label on what was already stated.
+1

Old 11-12-2018, 08:51 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Oh and another thing! The better equivalent for Oakland would be Hudson County rather than the outer boroughs as they're about equivalent in terms of ease of getting to the "big city" stuff and there are many walkable places in Hudson County that are fairly cheap compared to the outer boroughs or to Oakland.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscrayon View Post
Hi all! I'm originally from North Carolina (RDU area) and have been living in the SF Bay Area (specifically Oakland) for the past 7 years.

It's been a good run in Oakland and I've enjoyed my time here. I've met some wonderful friends and adopted a sweet cat. I love the weather and all the fun things to do here.

However, my overall happiness and enthusiasm for living here has been waning over the past few years. I'm ready for a change, and NYC is currently at the top of my list (I've also considered Charlotte, Chicago, and my hometown in NC). The Bay Area is just too expensive and I'm tired of the tech this and that (even though I work in tech)!

I'm single, have a cat and am wondering what I need to know to move to NYC. I've only been once, to Manhattan for a work trip. I'll be planning another trip soon, but here are my specific questions:

1. What are good boroughs to live in for a single woman and a cat? Brooklyn would be my first choice, but are there others? What are some good safe neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are affordable?
2. I currently pay $1031 a month for my rent-controlled studio. I'd be willing to pay up to $1800 for a studio or 1-bedroom. Is that realistic in Brooklyn or any other borough?
3. I might want kids in the future. Can a single mother make it in NYC?
4. How much money do I need to save to move-in? Brokers' fees, application fees, etc?
5. I'm looking at moving at some point in summer 2019. How soon should I look at apartments? E.g. do you pretty much have to be ready to move in right away?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice you can give me! I have a job that lets me work from home, anywhere in the world, so I'm set as far as employment goes (thankfully).
Brooklyn is Oakland on steroids. Lol

Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
glasscrayon, as you can see, this forum is frequented by a bunch of disgruntled shut-ins. No reason even to engage with them.

If your chief concern in the Bay Area is expense, it's not much cheaper here. $1800/mo. will get you a studio some distance from prime Manhattan; a 1-bed will be way out in the sticks. Keep in mind that it can easily be an hour or more from the further boroughs to Manhattan on the subway, if you're intending to spend a lot of time there.
My cousin lives in Oakland. On his second long visit to NYC, he commented that NYC seems to charge money for everythng while rents are slightly lower, when you add the extra costs for pretty much everything, it turns out to be much more expensive than it seems at first glance.

Last edited by roseba; 11-14-2018 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 09:28 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times
I'd recommend checking out Jersey near the light rail/PATH/bus, the more walkable parts of Westchester on the Metro North line (Bronxville, Hartsdale), or even Stamford, CT on the Metro North Line. The NYC income tax is nothing to sneeze at and you can get your bearings before making a more long-term decision. I lived in West New York, NJ after relocating from the Midwest, and the relatively quick commute and lower rent made the whole experience more tolerable than jumping feet first into Brooklyn or one of the outer boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City