Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 09:57 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I missed this statement of yours. This is also true, however, the number of countries of origin of the diversity in immigrant populations is different. LI tends to have more of the recent dominant immigration countries - e.g. China, latin America, whereas Westchester, in addition to those groups, has a lot of ex-pat communities. This (also with French schools like FASNY, Japanese academy schools (like Keio), the German American school etc. which all cater to the ex-pat communities) leads to a much bigger actual diversity (culturally).

I think most people who have lived in both LI and Westchester know the differences between the two and don't see them as the same place to live.
Your statement seems a little Eurocentric. That being said, there are a lot of Irish and Polish immigrants on Long Island. I have heard of the wealthy French expats and the like, but are they really a dominant cultural force in Westchester?

Well of course the two are different but I find the differences to be exaggerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What you say is true, but there are areas in the country that could have handled this influx and benefited much more from this than NYC or NOVA. I’m thinking specifically brawny rust belt or former rust belt cities that have outsized infrastructure for their current population, a formerly much larger population, surface parking lots breaking up parts of downtown due to disinvestment that are easy sites to fill back in, and often strong cultural and higher education institutions that are endowments from their better days.

Amazon didn’t go that route but some its candidate list as well as some of its actions among some of its branches in terms of recruiting makes it seem like they were at least considering that direction. There are myriad potential advantages with going that route, but apparently they weren’t enough.
Why do people think that corporations should perform roles that ought to be done by government. Amazon selected sites where there is either an existing pool of suitable workers, or where such people can be attracted to. They aren't interested in the rust belt.

It is the role of gov't to provide the education and training to attract corporations. They can solicit the assistance of corporations but they cannot expect the private sector to do this from scratch.

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
you are simply using personal opinion as a fact. WHo believe Westchester is generally preferred than LI? Is it a scientific study or just in your dream. it is so ridiculous. admittedly these two are just comparable. but in terms of location, LI is much better. it is closer to queens and Brooklyn. and it has nice beaches
Not Mr. Trump for sure. Suffolk voted for him big time, Westchester didn't. Not that we should draw any implications from that whatsoever.

1,110 posts, read 982,206 times
How different is Westchester from CT or NJ? it is just the same.
LI is very unique. those nice beaches and vineyards offer something different than anything you can find in North east

Quote:
I missed this statement of yours. This is also true, however, the number of countries of origin of the diversity in immigrant populations is different. LI tends to have more of the recent dominant immigration countries - e.g. China, latin America, whereas Westchester, in addition to those groups, has a lot of ex-pat communities. This (also with French schools like FASNY, Japanese academy schools (like Keio), the German American school etc. which all cater to the ex-pat communities) leads to a much bigger actual diversity (culturally).

I think most people who have lived in both LI and Westchester know the differences between the two and don't see them as the same place to live.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:59 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
No I don't think that. I also don't think much different in walkability between the two either - most railroad originated suburbs have the same sort of walkability. That's not the same issue as driving convenience though.
I don't think either Nassau or Westchester have huge traffic issues. That's more of a problem in the boroughs.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Your statement seems a little Eurocentric. That being said, there are a lot of Irish and Polish immigrants on Long Island. I have heard of the wealthy French expats and the like, but are they really a dominant cultural force in Westchester?

Well of course the two are different but I find the differences to be exaggerated.
I don't think Japan is in Europe, although I may be wrong. The point was actual extant cultural/institutions of greater diversity in Westchester than the diversity in LI. Westchester has the immigrant groups that LI, does plus additional established expat and immigrant groups. You are asking for facts rather than opinions in a nebulous arena, those are an example of what I mean.

Now, I really have to go.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:01 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,206 times
got it. so you believe immigrants from China or latin american are inferior than those from european countries. Isn't that racism? That's exactly why people don't like Westchester.

Quote:

Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Now back to Amazon effects real estate in NYC topic. Do you see Amazon HQ2 in Queens have impact on South Bronx rent prices ?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
How different is Westchester from CT or NJ? it is just the same.
LI is very unique. those nice beaches and vineyards offer something different than anything you can find in North east
I can't argue about the beaches.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Now back to Amazon effects real estate in NYC topic. Do you see Amazon HQ2 in Queens have impact on South Bronx rent prices ?
I think only if Westchester is better than Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City