Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:07 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times

Advertisements

All the new employees will get to witness subway masterbaters as well! Win!

Welcome to New York! It’s been waiting for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:14 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Y'all in Queens/Brooklyn are SO SCREWED! Housing and tax breaks. Honestly, I can't figure out why a supposedly SAVVY business man would pick NYC. You have no real vacant land upon which build, i.e. higher costs because of Re-development. the transportation infrastructure is MAXED out, meaning more miserable commuting. Truly a STUPID move by Bezos boys.

I tell you this, Amazon will be able staff up faster and have happier employees in Nashville than either D.C. or NYC.
Well, Nashville is getting 5K people, so I seriously hope they are able to build out and staff up 5K faster than the other places can 25K people.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-13-2018 at 10:41 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Have you seen LIC recently. The developers had at least a five year warning that this was happening.
Yes, I have recently and fairly frequently. The developers did have years of rezoning if that’s what you’re referring to which accounts for LIC with the largest number of new housing units built in recent years among all US neighborhoods. That’s good and all, but I said 25K additional units—additional as in on top of what is built and what is in the pipeline. They should fast track the building of additional units not yet in the pipeline that accounts for as much if not more than the nominal amount of employees this will have.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:42 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Affect

Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 PM

Aflac

Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I think it's funny how people talk about these Amazon jobs in a vacuum. These are going to be high tech jobs for people with computer science backgrounds. Show me where the huge tech work force is in Nashville right now. New York City already has a lot of tech professionals so Amazon doesn't have to start from scratch.
They are an online retailer though. Dont they need more warehouse staffers to move around the goods or customer service to help people with their orders? How many people do they need to work on their website, or streaming service? Plus if high paying, then people can move in, and I am sure they will bring in people from outside the area if for high paying job.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
What is purpose or advantage of Amazon having HQ in LIC, and it really should not be called an HQ. It is just a regional office.

They can literally put it anywhere like Philly where land is cheaper, and they can have their pic. And yes there are plenty of IT grads coming out of Temple, Drexel, UDelaware.

Most of IT, comp Sci people in the NYC came from elsewhere anyways, so what does it matter, that Amazon needs to move to place with lots of those people. Those people had to move here from somewhere to begin with.

The country and society be better served if Amazon moved to region that is depressed like Hartford, or Providence. Well, ok they are putting another one somewhere in VA so that is a plus

Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I doubt all those new high rises are anywhere near full, in NYC''s currently softening housing market. Right in that neighborhood, there are plenty of infill lots available. The zoning is probably not right though. That can be changed.

It might overload the local market a little, but in a city of 8.5 million people, 25,000, many of which will already be housed, is a blip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, I have recently and fairly frequently. The developers did have years of rezoning if that’s what you’re referring to which accounts for LIC with the largest number of new housing units built in recent years among all US neighborhoods. That’s good and all, but I said 25K additional units—additional as in on top of what is built and what is in the pipeline. They should fast track the building of additional units not yet in the pipeline that accounts for as much if not more than the nominal amount of employees this will have.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is purpose or advantage of Amazon having HQ in LIC, and it really should not be called an HQ. It is just a regional office.

They can literally put it anywhere like Philly where land is cheaper, and they can have their pic. And yes there are plenty of IT grads coming out of Temple, Drexel, UDelaware.

Most of IT, comp Sci people in the NYC came from elsewhere anyways, so what does it matter, that Amazon needs to move to place with lots of those people. Those people had to move here from somewhere to begin with.

The country and society be better served if Amazon moved to region that is depressed like Hartford, or Providence. Well, ok they are putting another one somewhere in VA so that is a plus
An 816 billion network company is not looking for the cheapest location. Nor are they a social service organisation that exist to lift up decayed smaller cities. From a business standpoint, obviously Amazon knows what it is doing. They were expanding in NYC long before they decided to split the second headquarters with DC.

The IT and computer science people are moving to NYC from all around the world, and many of them start out by studying at area schools.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:52 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

This sure would paint an even prettier picture of the New York City skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City