Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 06:24 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Show me a news link to the 7 billion figure. The official and widely publicized figure is $1.7 B.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...-new-corporate

Either you have misheard or your sources are suspect.

While we're at it, New York's offer package isn't even close to being the highest: https://amp.slate.com/technology/201...s-offered.html

This is NIMBY NYC (which I have already explained to you in the City Council to get rid of the Public Advocate thread). There is always going to be opposition to any kind of large project. These people do not represent most NY'ers. They are a small but vocal minority who are only looking out for their own special interests, which in most cases is to keep out people and companies, hence they're being appropriately called NIMBYs (not-in-my-back-yard).
And you are correct on many of the above issues, however, these NIMBY'S are educated, upper- middle- class, with lots of money.....!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 07:23 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Amazon will loot the human resources of existing tech companies in NYC, attract workers from CT, MA, PA, NJ, other states and other countries. I know Cuomo stated that all 25K employees will be New Yorkers but i highly doubt that. Also, Amazon is not required to hire NYC residents.

In terms of transportation for workers not living in LIC. They might do like Liz Claireborne used to do and have a daily bus transfer to the campus. (Liz had a campus in NJ in which they picked up their nyc employees around 36th or 38th st).

The employees will spread themselves in NYC, NJ, LI, Westchester, etc. I doubt that all Amazon workers will want to live and work in LIC. It failed in Battery park and it will fail in Hudson Yards. HY has a motto of "work, live and play" Oh hell no! I work in SoHo and i avoid to go down there during my off days.

The young bucks will likely move to Astoria, BK, UES, Harlem, Midtown East, LES.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I guess with a New York presence, customers on Amazon will have to start paying that stiff 8.875% Sales tax? (Anyone disagree?)

Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Amazon will loot the human resources of existing tech companies in NYC, attract workers from CT, MA, PA, NJ, other states and other countries. I know Cuomo stated that all 25K employees will be New Yorkers but i highly doubt that. Also, Amazon is not required to hire NYC residents.

In terms of transportation for workers not living in LIC. They might do like Liz Claireborne used to do and have a daily bus transfer to the campus. (Liz had a campus in NJ in which they picked up their nyc employees around 36th or 38th st).

The employees will spread themselves in NYC, NJ, LI, Westchester, etc. I doubt that all Amazon workers will want to live and work in LIC. It failed in Battery park and it will fail in Hudson Yards. HY has a motto of "work, live and play" Oh hell no! I work in SoHo and i avoid to go down there during my off days.

The young bucks will likely move to Astoria, BK, UES, Harlem, Midtown East, LES.
You’ll have people move deeper into Queens as well. Not to mention that this will make LIC even more attractive to tech companies. LIC has space that Manhattan does not.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I don't get people getting up in arms about tax breaks. If Amazon didn't come here NYC/NYS would get a whopping $0 out of Amazon, at least now they'll get not just increased revenue but a huge job generator. It's not just the techies, it's the restaurants, dry cleaners, doorman, delivery drivers, receptionists, etc who will work to support Amazon's presence, which will directly employ mostly low-income people and immigrants.

I don't know why people continue to live in or come to NYC and have such a visceral hate for capitalism, density, wealth, etc. Those are the very things that make NYC what it is. Take that away and much of the ever-so-fetishized "Diversity" and "Culture" goes with it. The very dynamism that many of these protesters seek to shut down is the source of all the free goodies they say they want to help the vulnerable. Do you see Baltimore offering so many services? There is a reason for that.
Would you say they're getting preferential treatment? Why would the city offer Amazon billions in incentives and not Walmart or other businesses? Walmart hires more workers and majority of NYers could work there as opposed to Amazon which will hire mainly high skilled workers. The spill over effects will cause more gentrification and higher cost of living unseen before to the area. It will displace alot of people who will get pushed out no matter what Deblasio says they have to create some affordable homes which will go to only a select few.

Grand scheme of things it benefits big businesses and developers. Subway still requires middle class taxes to fund it and Amazon will pay nothing to NYC.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:15 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
^ There's nothing wrong with people moving in and out of a city. It is not written in stone that NYC must be the place to live for people that can't afford to live here.

And gentrification can very much be avoided if the city allows more dense development near places of employment. No one will want to live in Bed-Stuy or Bushwick or South Bronx or Jackson Heights if Manhattan was cheap.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:03 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
I wonder if the city+state will use eminent domain to take over more land in LIC.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:28 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
#queensbridge
I wouldn’t be surprise if city sell Queensbridge to private developers or Amazon

Old 11-22-2018, 08:59 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
A Walmart in NYC would not be bringing highly paid jobs. Most of the jobs would be low paid menial positions. It would be the equivalent of Amazon putting a distribution warehouse in NYC. If WM was looking to move it's headquarters from Bentonville AR to NYC, they would probably get a similar offer to what AMZN is getting.

And actually, high end tax payers a huge contributors to NYC/S tax revenue. Look at the percentage of total state and local tax revenue is paid by the top 1% of tax payers (IIRC it's 30-40%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Would you say they're getting preferential treatment? Why would the city offer Amazon billions in incentives and not Walmart or other businesses? Walmart hires more workers and majority of NYers could work there as opposed to Amazon which will hire mainly high skilled workers. The spill over effects will cause more gentrification and higher cost of living unseen before to the area. It will displace alot of people who will get pushed out no matter what Deblasio says they have to create some affordable homes which will go to only a select few.

Grand scheme of things it benefits big businesses and developers. Subway still requires middle class taxes to fund it and Amazon will pay nothing to NYC.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Amazon’s employees will be paying taxes to NYC.

Having a WalMart store would be minimum wage retail jobs. Amazon corporate headquarters jobs obviously pay a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City