Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 02:20 PM

11,191 posts, read 9,007,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
NYCHA residents specifically, that’s unlikely but the response to Amazons RFP was posted online and one of the things they ask about is diversity of the city and spefically diversity within the city’s tech sector.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthel...mized/full.pdf

The diversity responses start on page 3 and prove very interesting. Especially when questions are asked, and NYC responds, about what it’s doing to grow talent in the sector and increase its diversity.
It's a nice fluff piece. Words are words.

Let's see what actually happens.

Look at Google. They are building more campus in NYC without any of the deals that Amazon received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 04:30 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,312,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It's a nice fluff piece. Words are words.

Let's see what actually happens.

Look at Google. They are building more campus in NYC without any of the deals that Amazon received.
How is it a fluff piece? It at the very least outlines NYCs current talent pool and key (current) resources for tech training/schooling.

I’m not up in arms about Amazon negotiating incentives. Unpopular option here but they were smart to ask for incentives. Nobody had to give them anything, but they wouldn’t have gotten anything if they didn’t ask. In other words, it never hurts to ask. Not totally in parallel but when I’m presented with multiple offers from different companies, I negotiate for more. I always ask the offering companies for more money, more stock, more vacation, etc. I’m the valuable asset that they want so in order to get me to join them they have to present a strong offer. It’s not always about the most money/incentives though as I’ll end up choosing which situation is the best fit for my overall needs but I will *always* ask for incentives to join a new company (and take as much as they are willing to give me).

Old 12-18-2018, 09:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,823,280 times
Quote:
LOL. Why would Amazon hire NYC and NYCHA residents?? You can't force a corporation to do that. They are going to hire the best and those people will come from all over the USA and the World.
Sure you can. You can require that as a part of the tax credits they are getting. These deals happen all the time. When auto companies open up factories have jnthe Southern states, as a part of the tax credits they have to hire locals and they provide job training and other workforce development in the states and communities they operate it.

Film and television companies that get tax credits to shoot films in NYC have to hire a certain number of New Yorkers as cast and crew.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
How is it a fluff piece? It at the very least outlines NYCs current talent pool and key (current) resources for tech training/schooling.

I’m not up in arms about Amazon negotiating incentives. Unpopular option here but they were smart to ask for incentives. Nobody had to give them anything, but they wouldn’t have gotten anything if they didn’t ask. In other words, it never hurts to ask. Not totally in parallel but when I’m presented with multiple offers from different companies, I negotiate for more. I always ask the offering companies for more money, more stock, more vacation, etc. I’m the valuable asset that they want so in order to get me to join them they have to present a strong offer. It’s not always about the most money/incentives though as I’ll end up choosing which situation is the best fit for my overall needs but I will *always* ask for incentives to join a new company (and take as much as they are willing to give me).
Those incentives are coming out of your pocket and were unnecessary for a company that has sales of a trillion dollars with a track record of trying to avoid paying their fair share in tax via loopholes.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,823,280 times
Quote:
Those incentives are coming out of your pocket and were unnecessary for a company that has sales of a trillion dollars with a track record of trying to avoid paying their fair share in tax via loopholes.
I agree with you here. Google has a major presence in NYC and did not get anywhere near these tax credits. Amazon knew from the beginning it wanted to be in NYC and Northern Virginia. It did this “contest” to play cities against each other to get the tax credits they wanted.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I agree with you here. Google has a major presence in NYC and did not get anywhere near these tax credits. Amazon knew from the beginning it wanted to be in NYC and Northern Virginia. It did this “contest” to play cities against each other to get the tax credits they wanted.
Exactly. NYC would have been ok without Amazon. Also, Google started small and look at it now. Google HQ, Youtube office, etc. They also donated $1 million for the creation of the High Line.

Look at Apple they set-up shop in Texas. No tax incentives..

"'Cities offered incentives to lure the company, but CEO Tim Cook avoided a high-profile competition that pitted them against one another as Amazon did over the last 18 months.""

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apple-t...and-around-us/

Old 12-19-2018, 10:26 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,391,644 times
I found this interesting.

What Amazon Could Learn From Google in New York City

TL;DR is basically that Google quietly took over the block and subtly made their presence known in Chelsea, rather than going about it the way that Amazon did. Does not mean that there aren't people opposed to Google's presence but it does show how they keep the drama down to a minimum.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:40 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,468,186 times
Quote:
The City Council is just screaming because they were entirely left out of this deal and there is nothing they can do to stop it.

The City Council does not need to be abolished. It could use better members. Due to the current polarization in the US it will be hard to get more rational people in office.

The city and state will quite clearly have deals with other companies, and again the city council will be left out.
This is it. Before the deal was announced many were quite enthusiastic, but they were cut out so they couldn't extract their usual corrupt patronage, so now they are angry.

We knew about this long ago and we also knew that Amazon was looking to extract assorted incentives, so if the very notion of this so appalled them they could have screamed about this long ago.

I cannot think of any initiative that City Council introduces that increases employment opportunities. They claim to love "small businesses" but small business really hate them and the city bureaucrats.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The City Council is right to show some concern. For 3 billion in tax credits existing NYC residents better get priority. Graduates of NYC colleges better get priority. NYCHA residents should also be prioritized as a part of Amazon sincerely reaching out to communities of color and people of all ages. If it’s just going to be MIT and Stanford types imported in we should not care at all.
What City Council should be doing is justifying their existence by coming up with a raft of demands that Amazon should comply with in exchange for tax credits. But they are too dumb to do this so they engage in their populist screams.

A black man who drives Uber and who drops off many who work in tech called them out on this. He reminded people that the poor of LIC were displaced LONG ago by those who pay $2k monthly for a studio and that what people want is an opportunity to access these jobs that Amazon brings. He also stated that Google and other tech companies had also obtained benefits through assorted zoning changes, and possible tax incentives, though not as large as that being given to Amazon.

So if an Uber driver can figure this out why cannot those who we pay good salaries do their work.

1. Amazon has to expand the pool of potential employees by developing assorted training initiatives, including internships so that "nontraditional" people begin to learn about how they can fit into the industry.

2. Amazon can cooperate with the public school system to introduce a curriculum which will better prepare interested parties in obtaining those jobs that dont require a college degree, that is other than packing boxes.

3. Amazon can be made to understand that it is not just the Ivy's which produce suitable candidates but so to do schools within the CUNY/SUNY system.

4. Amazon's tax credits shouldn't be based on hires as we shouldn't have to pay for transplants or Amazon stealing people from Google or FN. The credits should be based on NEW jobs added by NYC RESIDENTS.

The city has tremendous problems of income inequality and a mismatch between the skillsets (hard and soft) of much of its labor force and that which its employers require. Amazon should be made to assist the City in resolving these issues and for that they can be rewarded with incentives.

But the dunces in City Council will fall for that menace Ocasio who screams that Amazon should be driven out of NYC and that NYers should then get her guaranteed income for doing no work (welfare).

Old 12-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
LOL. Why would Amazon hire NYC and NYCHA residents?? You can't force a corporation to do that. They are going to hire the best and those people will come from all over the USA and the World.
Why would any corporation locate in a city with massive numbers of disgruntled unemployed. It is in the interest of Amazon and other corporate citizens to ensure that NYers get opportunities to acquire the skillsets that they will need to participate in the city's evolving economy.

And btw Amazon then gets a bigger pool of NYC residents instead of transplants who can arrive today and leave for some other city tomorrow.

Plus not every job will be in tech. What you and others need to understand is that no city can function without a raft of employees with a diverse range of skillsets. You aren't going to clean the offices, nor will you fix the AC when it goes down in June or the heat when it collapses in Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City