Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:57 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Either a 2 hour commute or exorbitant rent. New Yorkers have been told to suck up and pay more for less.
...or find a job outside of Manhattan. My “commute” is only 15 minutes now.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 05:57 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
People who drive in the city are f ing stupid. I have no pitty.
The only ones I understand who drive are those who work a graveyard shift and live in Staten Island or outside the boroughs.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:04 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,466,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Bill and Garcia dropped the ball. They knew DAMN well a NOREASTER was coming. Every meteorologist reported it before it hit, which means there gonna more than 2 inches on the ground. They shoulda salted the roads first, before flakes even touched the ground, and had men on hand to do their fu**in job. I like Bill and Kaitlyn Garcia but they full of sh** for that one
Meteorologists were calling for a "Dusting to 1" up until about Noon the same day the storm hit. Then all of a sudden it became a nor'easter with 3-5 inches possible.

The Sanitation schedule was already set to handle a dusting to 1"... not 3-5 inches. You can't just change up everyone's work schedule with a few hours notice.

Of course DSNY was understaffed for what hit, but that is because Meteorologists provided one forecast and we got another.

The media is focusing on DSNY and other politicians to blame so that no one looks their way.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Meteorologists were calling for a "Dusting to 1" up until about Noon the same day the storm hit. Then all of a sudden it became a nor'easter with 3-5 inches possible.

The Sanitation schedule was already set to handle a dusting to 1"... not 3-5 inches. You can't just change up everyone's work schedule with a few hours notice.

Of course DSNY was understaffed for what hit, but that is because Meteorologists provided one forecast and we got another.

The media is focusing on DSNY and other politicians to blame so that no one looks their way.
How ever you slice it 3-5 inches heavy snow or not is NOTHING! We live in a world wide city that can't handle 5 INCHES of snow...it's laughable!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:29 PM

47 posts, read 97,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
...or find a job outside of Manhattan. My “commute” is only 15 minutes now.
unfortunately many of the high paying jobs and opportunities are in Manhattan not the outer-boroughs.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 PM

3,731 posts, read 3,466,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
How ever you slice it 3-5 inches heavy snow or not is NOTHING! We live in a world wide city that can't handle 5 INCHES of snow...it's laughable!
Total accumulations in Bronx, Queens and Northern manhattan were 6-6.5 inches. But still yes you are correct.

The other issue was the "perfect" timing of the storm for max catastrophe. Late afternoon on a weekday where everyone went to work and school that day and had to get home. Again because of the bad forecast, most people took it very lightly.

If 5-6 inches would have been forecast the day before, most people would have stayed home or left work early.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:57 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I consider up to 6 inches nothing.

After 6 inches is where I think you should start to see some impact

But the other day was ridiculous, I'm used to at least a foot of snow causing some substantial effect, not a few inches.
In the late 90s the MTA buses in Queens operated fine under these conditions.

We are dealing with a new generation of incompetence apparently. Younger boomers with their heads up their a** in charge

Old 11-20-2018, 06:11 AM

425 posts, read 391,623 times
Salt and sand were not spread in time, and the type of snow and temperature made the roads very slippery forcing people to drive slow. It also caused enough accidents to worsen the traffic. The forecast was for a few hours of snow switching to rain. It rapidly changed to several hours of snow that continued on through rush hour.

Up to 6 in. isn't a problem.. if the City prepares. In this case they failed to do so in time and we had the issues we did. I bet they salt the **** out of the roads for any future storms.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:19 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Total accumulations in Bronx, Queens and Northern manhattan were 6-6.5 inches. But still yes you are correct.

The other issue was the "perfect" timing of the storm for max catastrophe. Late afternoon on a weekday where everyone went to work and school that day and had to get home. Again because of the bad forecast, most people took it very lightly.

If 5-6 inches would have been forecast the day before, most people would have stayed home or left work early.
Yeah. Simply put, we weren’t prepared. Nyc has the equipment and experience to deal with more snow but that’s when we EXPECT it.

I know I didn’t take it seriously and had on shoes with no traction. I headed out to a client meeting at 2pm and
Thought the flurries were “pretty” and by the time I left the meeting at 4pm the thoughts of “this is pretty” turned into “oh $hit” as I was trying not to slip and slide down the sidewalk.

I also had to fly the next morning and the airports were a total mess.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:47 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,823 times
I just read something interesting:

Following Last Week’s Snowstorm Shutdown of George Washington Bridge, Concerns About the Risk of Terror Attacks is Brought Up

"George Washington Bridge entirely knocking out the ability of a huge number of commuters to leave New York City. The GWB is one of the most utilized bridges in the country, with 14 lanes of traffic carrying not only commuters to and from New York, but also truck traffic up and down the East Coast. It’s an American icon, and if agencies were delayed in moving vehicles due to snow and accidents there could be real problems if something more severe were to happen."

We would be screwed during a Zombie Apocalypse!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City