Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 01:56 PM

149 posts, read 99,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneatles View Post
Break their window, slash a tire and they won’t park there again
I saw someone put stickers on a car partly blocking there driveway. Very risky imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 10:51 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneatles View Post
Break their window, slash a tire and they won’t park there again
So that you can become a target for your own car or home in retaliation? They know where you live once they see something done on their car...not smart.

This is one of my considerations when I choose to buy a house in Queens or Long Island. I won't have this problem in LI.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:18 AM

108 posts, read 120,152 times
Why not get a big sign like this .... https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....5L._SY445_.jpg

Old 11-23-2018, 04:31 AM

9 posts, read 20,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyok View Post
Why not get a big sign like this .... https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....5L._SY445_.jpg

I do, I have two of them actually, put on both ends of the gate. People don't care. This was two times today I tried to leave my house and couldn't. Cars didn't move for hours. Cops didn't come until after the cars moved. And the guy who owns the minivan isn't always home so he's not able to move it all the time, which is why people need to respect the driveway space.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:43 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakdragon View Post
Unfortunately, I'm never there when they show up so I'm unable to speak with them and explain the matter.
Why not write a little note, and leave it on their windshield?

Old 11-23-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
If you want the problem solved, park your car in front of your driveway. Or when someone parks there, double park next to them blocking their driver side door and just sit in your car pretending to be sleeping when they come back.

After looking at the photos, it seems its not blocking your driveway, you just need to move the minivan to get your car out.

This block and the following block is notorious for cars being sideswiped or having their mirrors knocked off and also, my mustang is pretty flashy. I've seen people sit on it taking pictures before and I don't trust it being out in the open like that, even if it's in front of the house. I have cameras in the driveway so I can monitor that perspective.

Also for NY violations, it's a violation to block or partially block a driveway, the curbed slope where the curb meets the road is also considered apart of the driveway. No one should be parking anywhere past that. In the city, if you park your car even a little bit past the pole that designates a no parking zone, you're getting a ticket.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Why not write a little note, and leave it on their windshield?

I've done that. And for a few people it has worked, I haven't seen them park there again. But as I said, some others, they don't really care. And it sucks because instead of it taking 15-45 mins for a cop to show up, it takes them hours. And the sad part is I live exactly 4 long blocks away from the precinct. 5 min drive or less.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:33 PM

51 posts, read 127,831 times
Have the same problem. People keep sticking the nose of their vehicles on my driveway. I've already tried leaving notes and putting up a sign with no luck. Had to resort to calling 311 a couple of times but the cops don't come until hours later if at all. Spoke to a couple of my neighbors about it but they keep doing it. It is a real nuisance when people don't respect your driveway space.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:35 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
I remember a jobsite years ago. If anybody parked in the supers spot they would come out to one mean
12 inch by 12 inch sticker on their quarter panel glass saying no parking which could only be removed
with a bucket of hot water, a razor and a good half hour of scrubbing. Wish I knew where you could get
those stickers......

Old 11-24-2018, 06:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I remember a jobsite years ago. If anybody parked in the supers spot they would come out to one mean
12 inch by 12 inch sticker on their quarter panel glass saying no parking which could only be removed
with a bucket of hot water, a razor and a good half hour of scrubbing. Wish I knew where you could get
those stickers......
That sounds like the old stickers the city used to use a few years ago if you street parked on the wrong day during alternate side. They were banned in 2012. https://www.dnainfo.com/20120118/man...hame-stickers/

Sometimes when people leave postcards advertising things on windshields, and it rains and then the postcard subsequently dries, the same sort of thing happens that makes it really hard to take the paper stuff off the windshield.

I think something paper that turns into a sticky mess would be the best solution. They can't get you for vandalism, because it's not, but it's certainly really annoying.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: