Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 07:59 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You boosted about never going to the statue of liberty and being born and raised in NY? How is that taking advantage of the city every chance you get. Yes tourist attend it but so do ny-ers. It's a part of history and a value learning experience.
No one has to fit themselves into your criteria for either what being a New Yorker is or how they choose to take advantage of what this city has to offer.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 02:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
No one has to fit themselves into your criteria for either what being a New Yorker is or how they choose to take advantage of what this city has to offer.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Never said you did but you referred to people being smart by not doing certain things so indirectly you called people not smart for not doing things you don't want to do. Its a two way street daring, if you wanta dish out judgement then don't be shocked when you get opinions back.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:

Happy Thanksgiving.
You become a NYer naturally when you start avoiding crowds or going out to popular tourist events or areas. I know many NYers born and bred here that never been to statue of liberty or Empire State.

The only time I been to Macys parade was after a night of partying we went outside to find the parade.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:35 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You become a NYer naturally when you start avoiding crowds or going out to popular tourist events or areas. I know many NYers born and bred here that never been to statue of liberty or Empire State.

The only time I been to Macys parade was after a night of partying we went outside to find the parade.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
He's a cranky NJ man that works in NYC and hates it. Take what he says with a grain of salt

Old 11-22-2018, 05:51 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I remember years ago, a colleague I work with from Montréal came down for vacation and we had our usual lunch in Midtown. Afterwards, I walked her over to some make-up shop she wanted to go to. On the way, we had to go through Times Square. I told her I wouldn’t be caught dead walking through here if it wasn’t for her. She chuckled. It’s the truth though. I absolutely hate crowds. I have been to the Statue of Liberty as a kid and the Empire State Building on a class trip and for a meeting years ago, but I would hate working there. Tourists gawking. It’s bad enough that they’ve made their way over to Park Avenue. That was our refuge since they took over 5th Avenue years ago.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I remember years ago, a colleague I work with from Montréal came down for vacation and we had our usual lunch in Midtown. Afterwards, I walked her over to some make-up shop she wanted to go to. On the way, we had to go through Times Square. I told her I wouldn’t be caught dead walking through here if it wasn’t for her. She chuckled. It’s the truth though. I absolutely hate crowds. I have been to the Statue of Liberty as a kid and the Empire State Building on a class trip and for a meeting years ago, but I would hate working there. Tourists gawking. It’s bad enough that they’ve made their way over to Park Avenue. That was our refuge since they took over 5th Avenue years ago.

I dreaded when friends and relatives visit and want ME to be responsible for fiving them a "New York Experience." I just don't do it anymore.

I wouldn't wait in line for the Second Coming.

Crowds? My limit is the change from the Q to the #1 train. I always get the back of the Q so I don't have to "swim" upstream through the masses on the platform.

Times Square Theater...gets to be less and less desirable because of the crowds.

Statue of Liberty My aunt did that one in for me as a child. She said, it's fine if you want to walk up a million steps with your face in a stranger's ass. I wave as I pass her, SIL, on the Staten Island Ferry once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: