Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:34 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times

Advertisements

If someone speaks to you in a foreign tongue a simple gesture of touching your lips and shaking your head back and forth
is universal for " no speak ". This action along with a smile will not be construed as offensive. The person will simply nod
and walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 02:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboom View Post
Maybe the Eastern European think you are Afghan or Uzbek, because many of them are in south Brooklyn and can speak Russian.
I'm Armenian which puts me in the Turkish/Iranian/Iraqi/Afghani realm I suppose? Maybe even Jordanian and Syrian?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-29-2018, 02:54 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
All the time for me. My super still thinks I can speak Cantonese even though I only know how to read because of knowing enough Japanese and assumptions. I guess I can fake it well.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:18 PM

615 posts, read 448,342 times
Never, not once. My Greek diner friend says I look very Northern European, whatever that means.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:01 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Unless your a complete homebody that is fearful of the public, this happens all the time in every city. Just go out there and explore and you'll see it's no biggie
Slightly off-topic but odd story. My daughter lives in Albany. She is white, blonde (well partially purple). She was at the laundromat a few months ago when a Chinese man walked in and randomly went up to her and asked her in Mandarin if she could please help him. She has degrees in Mandarin and Linguistics and lived in Beijing for a while. There is no way he could have known this, but she is the one he asked.

He had been at the adjacent drugstore and could not make the clerks understand what he wanted to buy, so she went back to the drugstore with him. She didn't understand at first what he wanted, either. He kept saying in Mandarin that "the road is running slow". He was gesturing toward his butt and it finally dawned on her that he was constipated. She helped him find what he needed, and he was happy and thanked her profusely.

But, it was just weird that he walked in to a laundromat and the first person he approached was someone who actually spoke his language.

I've had people in the city ask me things in Spanish. My Spanish is pretty limited, but sometimes with words and gestures, I've been able to send them off in the right direction...I hope.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:40 AM

127 posts, read 216,173 times
Only thing someone has tried speaking to me is Spanish. Does not happen as often now but when I lived in the Heights all the time. I think that is common for most people in NY tho. I even used to have foreign tourists come up to me and try to speak Spanish when I worked retail many moons ago. I usually just went and got someone else who I knew spoke it and they were set. TBH, NY is such a world class city I think a lot of people just expect most people here to speak multiple languages. It’s not uncommon for citizens of major European cities to speak multiple languages.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
oh that's funny. Are you tall? People ask me for directions a lot in general. When I see french or italian people struggling, I offer to help because I speak well enough to be helpful.

Yeah, 6'1 inch (formerly 6'2" but spinal discs aren't what they once were). I am forever asked for directions and if I see a couple fussing with a map, I will volunteer my services...but only in English.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Unless your a complete homebody that is fearful of the public, this happens all the time in every city. Just go out there and explore and you'll see it's no biggie
+1.

Common sense. It's rare.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:55 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times
In NYC it's usually Spanish but I am Hispanic and speak it. The misses on the other hand is a Midwestern mixed with black and white and she gets it all the time at least here in NYC, she says this never happened back home. It does annoy her more so because she wishes she knew enough Spanish to answer people back. Some Dominican salon they actually got mad at her because they thought she was Dominican and didn't' want to speak Spanish to them. I sort of have tried to teach her, but c'mon trying to teach an adult a second language is pretty tough.
On a side note, we seem to blend in in most regions of the world we have visited. In India people thought I was Indian and would speak to me like if I was a native (didn't matter Hindi, Bangali even Tamil), they even thought I was Nepalese when I was in the northern region. Same in Morocco and of course in Spain, we seem to have that look that everyone wants to claim us. And than everywhere else people think I am Mexican, like when I visit the Caribbean or in Mexico, I do tend to get really dark when I tan so .

Old 12-03-2018, 09:35 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yeah, 6'1 inch (formerly 6'2" but spinal discs aren't what they once were). I am forever asked for directions and if I see a couple fussing with a map, I will volunteer my services...but only in English.
I used to be 5'7". I think I was down to 5'5" last time I was measured .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: