Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 07:47 AM

317 posts, read 312,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You are out of touch. NYC is easily one of the most expensive cities in the country, and home ownership is becoming harder and harder for middle class and under.

Why bring up Vancouver? We don't live in Canada. And Canada is oneof the most developed countries in the world.
About Vancouver:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4658157/f...-police-study/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
In many asian cities, 1 million dollars can only buy you a studio or one-bedroom in a run down area. and people in those cities earn 10% of what NYers are making.

Most immigrants came to this city with nothing. they work and save and buy those houses. while the native NYers are complaining the high cost and waste money on unnecessary items. Look at the fancy cars and iphones of the same people who cry they cannot afford housing. just a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You are out of touch. NYC is easily one of the most expensive cities in the country, and home ownership is becoming harder and harder for middle class and under.

Why bring up Vancouver? We don't live in Canada. And Canada is oneof the most developed countries in the world.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:20 PM

317 posts, read 312,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
In many asian cities, 1 million dollars can only buy you a studio or one-bedroom in a run down area. and people in those cities earn 10% of what NYers are making.
I pray this does not happen to NYC. We need to build the wall. J/K

Old 12-20-2018, 03:12 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post

Most immigrants came to this city with nothing. they work and save and buy those houses. while the native NYers are complaining the high cost and waste money on unnecessary items. Look at the fancy cars and iphones of the same people who cry they cannot afford housing. just a shame

It makes no financial sense trying to keep up with the Jones's.
It cheaper to go the Jones's yard sale and get their used goodies for pennies on the dollar.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlex View Post
I pray this does not happen to NYC. We need to build the wall. J/K

New York State has not treated the retired working class to kindly.
The Feds have done a better job giving tax payers a break in whole.
If you lived and worked your arse off in New York your whole life
you should get some major tax breaks on property taxes not the
bull crap that is defined by the amount of retirement income being drawn.
It will come time for retired folks to leave one day soon to make room for another
willing and able go-getter.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It will come time for retired folks to leave one day soon to make room for another
Or if they can afford to pay those property taxes they can stay.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Or if they can afford to pay those property taxes they can stay.
Agreed.
I don't understand why some go along and pay property taxes of $30,000 a year and up.
Would you? I certainly would not............. I'd rather live out of the state use that money to hire a limo driver year round.
It is one thing to pay affordable property taxes and another to knowingly allow the city to fleece you .

Old 12-24-2018, 03:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Agreed.
I don't understand why some go along and pay property taxes of $30,000 a year and up.
Would you? I certainly would not............. I'd rather live out of the state use that money to hire a limo driver year round.
It is one thing to pay affordable property taxes and another to knowingly allow the city to fleece you .
It’s not costing you money if someone is paying whatever in property taxes? Why be judgmental?

Perhaps some people just like living in NYC or want to be near family, etc.

Also there are problems in supposedly cheap places like the South as well. No place is an utopia.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:48 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
actually being retired i pay very little in nys tax now . social security is exempt from nys taxes , my wifes pension is exempt being a city pension , the first 20k in retirement from ira's or private pension money is exempt , all my treasury interest is exempt . considering a professional couple can have more than 80k in ss alone , it can be quite a savings . compared to other areas the real estate taxes in nyc are pretty low .

nys could do more on real estate taxes though for seniors , i agree but it likely is what it is .

think about this : when we all bought our forst homes in suffolk county in the 1970's they were like 30-35k .. that was a huge mortgage then . well today those mortgages are likely gone and taxes are 12-18k a year . so in that respect nyc is way better off .

the fact you paid off a 35k mortgage does not even cover a utility bill today , so in the scheme of things affording to stay on long island got near zero help from not having a mortgage and having a paid off home . star helps lower incomes a little but not nearly enough for higher incomes . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-24-2018 at 04:16 AM..

Old 12-24-2018, 04:04 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Agreed.
why pay these big taxes ???????? well taxes are not generally high in a vacuum . they are high because home valuations are high , the homes are high because the areas are desirable because they usually have access to the highest paying jobs and better schools .

my son was in scarsdale ny and paid 20k a year on an 1800 sq ft home . he recently moved to ryebrook and pays 23k on a 4000 sq ft home .

taxes in many areas are high because home valuations are high . that 1800 sq ft home in scarsdale sold for 1 million . the 4500 sq ft home in ryebrook was 1.25 million .

big difference in home size for the same taxes . but homes are so much more in scarsdale for any given size so taxes are higher .

scarsdale is known as the best school district . ryebrook as a grade lower at better . school districts are rated good , better best ... home prices follow suit

scarsdale has a dedicated train station . that is a biggie .. homes in towns with dedicated train stations and parking for residents commands a huge premium .

scarsdale is 15 miles closer to nyc , another biggie .

so there are lots of reasons people pay these big tax bills .

in my son's case , his law firm was in white plains , in his wife's case she is a cpa for a hedge fund in Greenwich so the area is perfect . lifestyle wise they feel it is well worth it . they both make livings here that would be greatly reduced if they lived and worked in other states , even after adjusting for cost of living .
my son is a full partner in the firm which is national so he knows what the compensation is in their other offices .

. besides the fact it ain't that easy when you have licenses and certifications in one state to go to another as little is cross honored

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-24-2018 at 04:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City