Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:51 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofalion View Post
I guess it depends on at Riverdale one is taking Subway 1 or Metra (Hudson Line)? It looks like taking subway will lead to some savings compared to taking Metra Harlem/New Heaven at Bronxville/Pelham. Not a lot of savings though, about $118 a month.
Metro-North doesn't stop on the West Side in Manhattan. So if you settle in Westchester County, you will still have to find an extra mode of transportation that you will have to pay for, from Grand Central to your place of employment near Jacob Javits. So depending on how far north in Westchester, the price will be at least $200 a month, you can save that by living in Riverdale within walking distance to the 1 train:

mta.info | MTA Metro-North Railroad Schedules

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 12-13-2018 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 02:06 PM

83 posts, read 115,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Metro-North doesn't stop on the West Side in Manhattan. So if you settle in Westchester County, you will still have to find an extra mode of transportation that you will have to pay for, from Grand Central to your place of employment near Jacob Javits. So depending on far north in Westchester, the price will be at least $200 a month, you can save that by living in Riverdale within walking distance to the 1 train:

mta.info | MTA Metro-North Railroad Schedules
Indeed subway 1 can take me to Penn, which is a plus.

BTW, on a rainy day or snowy day, is it easy to get uber/lyft from Penn Station or Grand Central? I assume that's fairly easy on a dry day but not sure about it when weather is bad. Thx!

Old 12-16-2018, 01:34 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Might not be closed enough for the commute time I'm hoping for (reliably 30 min to Penn and 45 min door to door), but I'll check them out. Thx!
Quote:
I guess it depends on at Riverdale one is taking Subway 1 or Metra (Hudson Line)? It looks like taking subway will lead to some savings compared to taking Metra Harlem/New Heaven at Bronxville/Pelham. Not a lot of savings though, about $118 a month.
Quote:
Indeed subway 1 can take me to Penn, which is a plus.

BTW, on a rainy day or snowy day, is it easy to get uber/lyft from Penn Station or Grand Central? I assume that's fairly easy on a dry day but not sure about it when weather is bad. Thx!
You will not get under 45 minutes from Riverdale. 242 station to Penn station alone is 40 Minutes. You need to factor in walking time from home to the train, waiting for the train, no doubt mta delays and walking through crazy Penn station to work. That will be at least an hour commute. If you want 30 minutes, stick with the UWS which you talked about in another thread.

And yes rainy days does make it more difficult to catch a taxi or uber.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:48 PM

83 posts, read 115,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You will not get under 45 minutes from Riverdale. 242 station to Penn station alone is 40 Minutes. You need to factor in walking time from home to the train, waiting for the train, no doubt mta delays and walking through crazy Penn station to work. That will be at least an hour commute. If you want 30 minutes, stick with the UWS which you talked about in another thread.

And yes rainy days does make it more difficult to catch a taxi or uber.
Thanks for the info!

I'm hoping for a door-to-door 45 min (or 50 min if I have to) commute from outside NYC. It looks like a few towns from Long Island might do (25-30 min to Penn, and the rest for walking to station or from Penn to work), a few cities/towns on Jersey side along PATH stations would do 45 min, and the closest Westchester towns would be 50-55 min since most of them get me to Grand Central and taking subway 7 from there take quite some time. Of course here I assume I can find a rental really close to the train station, which is why I need multiple options and hopefully in one of the areas I can find a rental very close to train.

UWS is like 25 min by subway, or 15 min by biking. So tempting but also quite expensive given the space we hope to have (3br).

BTW, this tenant-pay-rental-agent-fee thing must be unique for NYC. Crazy.

Last edited by heartofalion; 12-16-2018 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City