Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I have to agree with you. For what it’s worth, there are laws (or at least guidelines) in many states around what age it’s ok to leave kids usupervised/alone for brief periods. A lot of the guidelines are around individual maturity of the kid and their ability to manage situations. In some states that age is as low as 8. In this case the oldest child, also 8, was able to attempt to call for help on the cell phone so that to me seems old enough to be alone in a car for 2 mins.

All that said, I think it was dumb to leave them in a running car, especially since both parents were there, but not negligent.
Yup, I can bend on the other stuff, but not the running car. This is New York for god's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 06:13 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
This story has infuriated me.
A mother left her car parked, running and unattended with 3 children inside while she ran into buy
goods for her hair only to return and find her car missing along with her children.
The vehicle was stolen. The thief abandoned the vehicle, stole a child's phone and ran off leaving them unharmed.
This was a Godsend .

This is what is grating away at me......................
The next day there are lawyers demanding to know why an Amber alert was not sent out?
I have not heard one mention as to why the mother is not being brought up on charges of child endangerment?
Not one word.............does the city have its' priorities all screwed up.
I bet every mother who heard this story is beyond furious and would like to see her punished. Only in New York.

What are your thoughts?
Why are you only focusing on the mother, and not both parents?

Old 12-11-2018, 03:41 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
My mother left me and my sibling in the car while she ran into stores quickly all throughout are childhood. I never thought she was negligent or we were in danger. The odds of what happened are very low. This whole world has become too PC, no wonder kids are living with their parents until they are 30!
How is this world too PC due to this incident? Look at what happened. Your statement is easy to say since you had a positive outcome but it would be another story if you had the same outcome as these 3 kids.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:10 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The article I read said that there is still the possibility of charges against the parents - both stepped away from the car- but I fail to see how that would help the situation. There is nothing to suggest the parents are regularly negligent or otherwise absuive to their kids and just made a dumb mistake. For sure they will NEVER do that again given what happened. It’s probably the best deterrent for dumb mistakes with their kids.

Charging the parents with a crime won’t really have anything good come from it especially if it leads to jail time for the parents which ultimately results in splitting kids from their parents (and possibly putting them in different foster homes since there are three kids) which has far greater negative impact on the kids. If the kids are otherwise well cared for, it’s best to leave this situation as a lesson already learned for the parents. I’d rather see happy kids in an intact and supportive home with their biological parents than ripped apart by the trauma that comes with jailing their parents and splitting up their home.

And I agree an amber alert should have gone out.

Agreed with the exception of a monetary fine just to seal the deal.
People tend not to make the same mistake twice when the pockets are hit hard.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:19 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
How is this world too PC due to this incident? Look at what happened. Your statement is easy to say since you had a positive outcome but it would be another story if you had the same outcome as these 3 kids.
Then life happens. People are too damn afraid to live and cuddle their children. Yah maybe they shouldn't have left the car on. I will agree to not be the brightest idea. But its not like the parents need to be locked up in jail because they ran into the story quickly. Shoot when I was growing up at 4 years ran to the store for the parents alone.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:54 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Then life happens. People are too damn afraid to live and cuddle their children. Yah maybe they shouldn't have left the car on. I will agree to not be the brightest idea. But its not like the parents need to be locked up in jail because they ran into the story quickly. Shoot when I was growing up at 4 years ran to the store for the parents alone.
I was taking the bus by myself when I was around 7 which I'm not sure I would have let my son do. On my first solo ride, I ended up on 125th and Madison because I took the wrong bus. I was fine but I'm sure my parents aged about ten years that day. Still don't know why both parents had to go into the store, though.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Why are you only focusing on the mother, and not both parents?

Thankyou.
I only heard today that there was a father present but he stepped away from the car to have a smoke.
Dear Lord, how far removed from the vehicle does one have to be to have a smoke. Sounds a bit odd.
Either way he is just as negligent as the mother.
Thank you for the mention. Very important.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Agreed. A nice fine to make them think twice about pulling a stunt like that again.
I too was a young kid when mom would send me to get dad out of the bar.
Those were tougher but safer times. Tougher cops meant less animals on the street.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,265 times
This makes me wonder if drugs were involved. This seems like something drug addicted parents do like not thinking clearly and putting their children at risk for dope possibly.

Oh, yeah the dad stepped out for a smoke and the mom needed hair dye SO BAD that the kids just sat there in a car in NYC unattended, plus the doors were not even locked, plus the car was running with keys in it so the kids could drive the thing away if they wanted.

Lord help us all...

Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I was taking the bus by myself when I was around 7 which I'm not sure I would have let my son do. On my first solo ride, I ended up on 125th and Madison because I took the wrong bus. I was fine but I'm sure my parents aged about ten years that day. Still don't know why both parents had to go into the store, though.
Yeah. Look at what happened to Etan Patz. You don't want to over protect but …
It's tough being a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: