Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:15 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times

Advertisements

Some of you are so hardcore with rules. Get up, or else......!

Should this not have been a prime case for de-escalation? Ok, if a tired lady standing for 4 hours, with a child, does not have a seat, and sits on the floor of a crowded welfare office. Could officials: 1) given her and extra seat or put out extra seats for her and others, or 2) if she had to sit on the floor, ask if she could sit in a designated area out of the way of folk?

The welfare fraud warrant is irrelevant, as far as the presence in that office is concerned. She ain't been convicted, yet, and she hasn't committed a crime in that office, and neither has she been legally banned from that office.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Welfare fraud queen in a welfare office... being defended...

Why bother? Get it now?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-12-2018, 02:56 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

Should this not have been a prime case for de-escalation? Ok, if a tired lady standing for 4 hours, with a child, does not have a seat, and sits on the floor of a crowded welfare office. Could officials: 1) given her and extra seat or put out extra seats for her and others, or 2) if she had to sit on the floor, ask if she could sit in a designated area out of the way of folk?

The welfare fraud warrant is irrelevant, as far as the presence in that office is concerned. She ain't been convicted, yet, and she hasn't committed a crime in that office, and neither has she been legally banned from that office.
It was not welfare fraud that the warrant was for. It was for credit card fraud in NJ.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-12-2018, 03:17 PM

61 posts, read 52,824 times
It's always the same group of people that cause trouble with the police, and you know who you are out there.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It was not welfare fraud that the warrant was for. It was for credit card fraud in NJ.
I Stand corrected. But the correction strengthens my argument about the relevance!

Old 12-12-2018, 04:51 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
This is a very sensitive topic.
From my understanding the following events have occured:

This took place in New York City:
Jasmine Headley and her one year old infant went to a welfare office to find out about child care issue.
There were no seats available so she sat on the floor in the front of the first row of chairs.
A security guard told her to get up and move. She refused. Police were called.
The video shows a number of officers surrounding her with one officer violently yanking to remove
the child from her arms.
She was arrested and detained for an open warrant on credit card fraud.
She will be released tonight on her own behalf and will appear tomorrow in NJ for warrant.
The child has been returned to the hospital for checkup of minor injuries.
A legal defense team is immediately on topic.
At this moment the defense team wants police officers fired and her previous arrest removed from file.
This is the information I know of at this time.

My feelings:
I pain for that poor poor child.
I was horrified watching the video emotionally upset the child may suffer serious injury.
This beautiful child is a precious and innocent victim into what had unfolded.

My feelings: I anger at one particular police officer with her back to the camera causing those
very tense moments that could have lead to a tragic ending.

My feelings: I am angry at the mother who put this child in such a precarious situation.
I am angry at this mother for using her child as a shield to refrain security request to
get up and stop blocking the aisle as she can create a tripping hazard for others.
I am angry at the mother to use the child as a shield to refrain officers' demands for
arrest which resulted in the escalation to barbaric levels.
I am angered at the defense team to seize the opportunity to make a quick buck by
demonizing the police department.
I am angered at the defense team requesting her previous arrest record be erased.

The mother chose to sit on the floor with child in arm and block an aisle.
How could this situation have been handled?

I offer a suggestion:
Creating a new position title in the Police Department
where a police officer has been trained to reach out on
a first response approach to take the child immediately
into a safe environment. Possibly a child carry crib to
let the parent know that the child can be removed safely
from the situation before other officers enter to make an arrest.

What are your thoughts? Please. No jokes. No bigotry. No nonsense.
How could this situation have been handled?

Security guard: Ma’am, you can’t sit on the floor blocking an aisle.

Response: ok ( as mother with baby in arms, gets up and moves).

Issue resolved. End of discussion.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:03 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
To further clarify my position:

This is a situation which would have eventually devolved into fighting amongst the citizens occupying that office, whether they be security or the people awaiting service there. The cops were called - as they tend to be - to head off that problem.

In the current environment, cops need to pause for a minute and consider whether their intervention in these matters is really a smart move. Under normal conditions where civil society was the goal of all citizens, police intervention would be warranted.

Nowadays, this is no longer the case. Misconduct is condoned. Even when the involved party is clearly breaking a law, cops should know by now that their actions will be scrutinized first, not those of the perp. Unless something is happening in front of their own home or against their own family, intervening should NEVER be the first option.

The responding officers should allow these situations to devolve into utter chaos. Then maybe intervene.

For example, back when I started it was drilled into our heads that when we see idiots fighting at bars or out front whatever, let them fight. There is no sense risking injury or even death over two (or more) fools fighting with each other. Let THEM get hurt or killed. The role of the police is only to clean up the mess afterwards anyway unless the situation is affecting uninvolved parties.

This concept needs to be applied nowadays much more often to protect ones career, not just for safety reasons. Before taking any action, a cop's ONLY concerns should be:

1. Is MINE or MY PARTNER'S safety at risk?

2. Will my body camera be enough protection from false allegations?

If the answer to either of those questions is likely no, then no action should be taken. This is what the citizenry wanted, you're only doing what they asked for anyway.

You hit the nail on the head.
The leftist media enjoys pointing fingers at cops. It all boils down to respecting authority. Unfortunately some will never understand this concept because they have never grown up with a father figure in their life and don't know any better. It would have been better to let things sort themselves out. Now the middle class will get stuck flicking this bill.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyLouBlvd View Post
It's always the same group of people that cause trouble with the police, and you know who you are out there.

I believe it boils down to any person who never had a father
figure authority in their life. This results in little to no respect for authority.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

She posed a tripping hazard in the least to the safety of others.
The lack of compassion of no one offering a seat spoke volumes.
She disobeyed and I can guess challenged the request to move.
Shame on her.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-12-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 07:16 PM

Latest News:
She gets a free pass ( get out of jail card )

As she sat smirking in front of the Judge in New Jersey,
she was given the chance of a lifetime to have her credit card fraud erased as
long as she pays restitution, commits to hours of community service and programs to help her.
I wish her well. This is a chance of a lifetime. She is now under the public microscope. It's all up to her.

As far as New York goes, at this time the mayor and police commissioner
are defending the police officers actions.

No word on the defense team ready to file claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City