Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,899 times

Advertisements

How can I do this myself? Is this professionally done?

[url]https://imgur.com/a/Vuu2zP5[/url]

Its illegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
It's illegal. Report them

"Report a defaced or painted curb"
https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/s...curb-complaint

Old 12-19-2018, 06:39 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
a small bucket of safety yellow paint, likely an epoxy. it is illegal , but so is jaywalking.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:56 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBradgsdshawereuuiysd5 View Post
How can I do this myself? Is this professionally done?

https://imgur.com/a/Vuu2zP5

Its illegal

One, yes it is illegal; thus drivers are free to ignore because those lines are not enforceable. If NYPD or anyone else does issue a ticket it can be not only fought but throw out/dismissed.

Meanwhile when (not if) someone drops a quarter on the building this illegal yellow line is in front of; DOB will visit and inspect. If found to be illegal a violation will be issued and owner given a period of time to paint over/remove said line. Failure to comply means more fines and so forth.

Illegal yellow curb lines might deter some; but most savvy NYC drivers know better. It is no different that those eejits who put cones in the street to "save" their spot.

The only time you can paint a curb yellow is if you have a legal cut for driveway IIRC.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The only time you can paint a curb yellow is if you have a legal cut for driveway IIRC.
The people who do that manage to paint a foot to the left and right, as if that means anything.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,501 times
Yeah it's obviously illegal. I still would not park there because if whoever painted that on the street was willing to vandalize the sidewalks and break the law, they may also be pissed off enough to vandalize any peoples cars who park there. I'd stay clear of that parking space.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:21 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One, yes it is illegal; thus drivers are free to ignore because those lines are not enforceable. If NYPD or anyone else does issue a ticket it can be not only fought but throw out/dismissed.

Meanwhile when (not if) someone drops a quarter on the building this illegal yellow line is in front of; DOB will visit and inspect. If found to be illegal a violation will be issued and owner given a period of time to paint over/remove said line. Failure to comply means more fines and so forth.

Illegal yellow curb lines might deter some; but most savvy NYC drivers know better. It is no different that those eejits who put cones in the street to "save" their spot.

From the pic at https://imgur.com/a/Vuu2zP5 this appears to be a curb cut for a driveway. Note the "cut" on the right side of yellow line, and there appears to be a gate in the fence behind.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:38 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
it is illegal to paint your curb cut yellow in NYC. Anyone in my neighborhood that I see that has painted thier curb yellow, I report.

I go to the 311 website, there is a special page, and I fill it out.
It works.
Usually within a few weeks, I will see the yellow curb I reported, painted gray. Which means the owner was notified.
This has become a little hobby that I have now. Summers are fun, I ride my bike, and any driveway I see painted yellow, I report. LOL
Yes, I do need a life, well, actually, I do have a life, unfortunetely, it isnt the one I want.

My office collegue calls me "yellow curb cop"

https://www1.nyc.gov/apps/311univers...urb+Defacement

works like a charm

PS: One time parking my car, I saw an old man painting his curb yellow, I looked at him and thought in my mind, I hope you like the color gray. LOL

Old 12-19-2018, 07:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
it is illegal to paint your curb cut yellow in NYC. Anyone in my neighborhood that I see that has painted thier curb yellow, I report.

I go to the 311 website, there is a special page, and I fill it out.
It works.
Usually within a few weeks, I will see the yellow curb I reported, painted gray. Which means the owner was notified.
This has become a little hobby that I have now. Summers are fun, I ride my bike, and any driveway I see painted yellow, I report. LOL
Yes, I do need a life, well, actually, I do have a life, unfortunetely, it isnt the one I want.

My office collegue calls me "yellow curb cop"

https://www1.nyc.gov/apps/311univers...urb+Defacement

works like a charm

PS: One time parking my car, I saw an old man painting his curb yellow, I looked at him and thought in my mind, I hope you like the color gray. LOL
Why does it bother you so much? Genuinely curious. If the lines don't mean anything (unenforceable) then why are they so bothersome that you would want to report them?

Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Why does it bother you so much? Genuinely curious. If the lines don't mean anything (unenforceable) then why are they so bothersome that you would want to report them?

If in one's own neighborhood can see getting pi$$ed off at illegal yellow lines. Same as for people putting cones or whatever in street to save "their" parking space.

Not only is the logic behind total BS (street belongs to the city), but takes away often scarce resource, on street parking.

All over Manhattan high rise buildings put those GD cones in front or signs "Please Don't Block Building Entrance". What the eff? I pay taxes and so forth like everyone else; who are you to reserve parking in front of your building while the rest of us have to fight for spots, drive around and around, etc...

There is a building on 80th off Madison where staff places cones in front to reserve parking for themselves or residents for years now. Thing is the building is next door to a church (no parking) so it creates one long no parking zone. Up and down Park, Madison, Fifth etc.. you see the same time. Don't get me started on Staten Island, where if not cones people use trash cans or anything else.

Being allowed to get away with painting illegal yellow lines on curb only encourages the next guy to do the same. Soon you have an entire street blocked off to people that don't know any better.

Years ago a new building went up and developer or whoever promptly painted curb in front yellow. Came home one night, saw an open spot and made my move. Doorman came out and told me "you cannot park here, see that yellow line..." I said "oh really". I don't see any DOT sign, and unless you can show me one, my ride stays where it is. Whipped out my phone and took pictures of illegal yellow paint job, all signs near where ride was parked, and my ride. Told doorman if there was so much as one scratch on my vehicle I'd have him and that building. Also promptly dropped a quarter on the illegal yellow paint job.

Fast forward several weeks the illegal paint job was now painted over with grey, and I parked in same spot. Same guy was on duty but didn't come out; I just gave him a big a$$ smile and went on my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: