Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:49 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The MTA is now working on phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway, and will eventually do phases 3 and 4. LIRR is being built to Grand Central, Metro North to Penn Station, and an Airtrain to LGA. The city needs transit expansion, period.
I don't disagree with that. My take is that this doesn't have to take the form of an overly expensive underground expansion, which costs many times what it does to build similar systems in Germany and other parts of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 11:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So let transit riders, who use the service, pay for this. Don't rip off drivers.
NYC was a transit oriented city before you were born and we’ll be transit oriented after you’re dead. Leave the metro area if you cannot deal with that.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't disagree with that. My take is that this doesn't have to take the form of an overly expensive underground expansion, which costs many times what it does to build similar systems in Germany and other parts of Europe.
The expense is mostly the station length mezzanines. All they have to do to cut costs is not to build those mezzanines, or to not to build them second length. But yes, transit expansion is important in the form of more train service.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The expense is mostly the station length mezzanines. All they have to do to cut costs is not to build those mezzanines, or to not to build them second length. But yes, transit expansion is important in the form of more train service.
Even if they cut down on station length mezzanines, it would still be ridiculously expensively. I advocate for increased bus service and bus only transit lanes. Increased subway lines/tracks aren't necessary and shouldn't be a serious option at the cost we are seeing.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Even if they cut down on station length mezzanines, it would still be ridiculously expensively. I advocate for increased bus service and bus only transit lanes. Increased subway lines/tracks aren't necessary and shouldn't be a serious option at the cost we are seeing.
They are very necessary. A massive increase in buses interferes with traffic and bus only lanes takes up space. Other cities around the world increase their subway service and NYC has to complete with these other cities for tourist dollars, for students, and residents.

Governments are not households and there’s no reason for them to penny pinch.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
They are very necessary. A massive increase in buses interferes with traffic and bus only lanes takes up space. Other cities around the world increase their subway service and NYC has to complete with these other cities for tourist dollars, for students, and residents.

Governments are not households and there’s no reason for them to penny pinch.
Traffic already sucks. By making more dedicated bus lanes/increasing the number of buses, however, you're making traffic suck for less people/those who decide to use mass transit.

NYC is going to be just fine if we don't expand the subway. Tourists aren't going to stop coming, students will still flock to attend our universities, and folks will always want to live here.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Traffic already sucks. By making more dedicated bus lanes/increasing the number of buses, however, you're making traffic suck for less people/those who decide to use mass transit.

NYC is going to be just fine if we don't expand the subway. Tourists aren't going to stop coming, students will still flock to attend our universities, and folks will always want to live here.
And the MTA is still going to expand train service, and arguing against it is moot. If NYC politicians didn’t ignore peoooe most of the time the city would be wilderness.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
And the MTA is still going to expand train service, and arguing against it is moot. If NYC politicians didn’t ignore peoooe most of the time the city would be wilderness.
And I am still going to express my displeasure about the decision/call for smarter use of resources.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:26 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
At some point I might, and probably should.

But there are a lot of drivers, especially if you count suburban NY drivers who come into the city, if they get pissed off enough to organize, they could put a big hurt on the MTA's finances.

Quote:
NYC was a transit oriented city before you were born and we’ll be transit oriented after you’re dead. Leave the metro area if you cannot deal with that.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:14 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:

I remember back in the late 70's they had just completed these sets of buildings at 125th st and Second ave.
They were constructed with the understanding of the second avenue subway link up very very soon.
Fast forward 2018.......................what......almost 50 years and we are only in phase two of the second avenue tunnel?
Hmmmmmmmmmm...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City