Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 AM

33,795 posts, read 47,022,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
"Ghetto parts" and "poor quality of life" is not the reason for the dog poop all over the sidewalks. That's a good guess but that claim is specious. I've been to a lot of ghetto areas in the tri state and I don't see this problem. I've been to East New York and I don't see this problem. I've been to areas in New Jersey like Irvington, Newark and even some grimey areas in Jersey City by Ocean Ave, again I don't see this problem.
Not for nothing, Tribeca is almost as bad as the Bronx when it comes to this problem too

Its not a class thing

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 09:56 AM

3,942 posts, read 5,052,345 times
This thread may illuminate the subject :
//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...-platform.html

Old 12-26-2018, 07:49 AM

1,183 posts, read 702,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Not for nothing, Tribeca is almost as bad as the Bronx when it comes to this problem too

Its not a class thing

But it really is a class thing. People who are respectful and cognizant of what we owe each other in society pick up after their dogs. Selfish and ignorant people do not. One has class, one does not.

In the US, economic status is often conflated with class. But they are not the same thing, not by a long shot. You meet people with class in all walks of life, people who have class irrespective of their circumstances. And the same goes for classless people.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:04 AM

1,121 posts, read 587,638 times
Ive notice that too. Id be walking near the zoo and theres poop everywhere. I see people walking their dogs there and letting them poop all over the sidewalk and not picking it up, like its an ordinary day.

Ive heard of a building service for DNA testing dog poops to trace it back to the owners.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:05 AM

1,121 posts, read 587,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

Its not a class thing
No way

Old 12-26-2018, 08:19 AM

15,965 posts, read 6,740,825 times
As a kid growing up I remember someone complaining about one street block that always had dog poop all over the place.
I remember hearing an old German woman asking her husband " Vy is der so much poop on da streets ?"
and the husband responded " Dat is because da mothers have not called deir children in fer dinner yet ! "
I still crack up every time I remember this................classic .....so classic......

Old 12-26-2018, 08:42 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,838,694 times
Every part of me wants a dog, I live in a pet friendly building so that does not help my dog envy. That said, as much as I want one, I'm not quite prepared to pick up dog poop. You should not own a dog if you are not prepared to clean up after it.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:21 AM

3,857 posts, read 3,129,373 times
Well,the bronx pitbull also has a set of keys to the apartment...and dogs cant wipe after themselves...

It's just not cool to pick up dog poop, in the bronx.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:43 AM

33,795 posts, read 47,022,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
But it really is a class thing. People who are respectful and cognizant of what we owe each other in society pick up after their dogs. Selfish and ignorant people do not. One has class, one does not.

In the US, economic status is often conflated with class. But they are not the same thing, not by a long shot. You meet people with class in all walks of life, people who have class irrespective of their circumstances. And the same goes for classless people.
Let me elaborate. A lot of people tend to think that quality of life issues are less likelier to happen in wealthier areas. I was pointing out that this is not the case. I did not mean to imply that money = class, but I could have worded it better.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-26-2018, 09:48 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,326,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I would never get an animal while living in an apt. If you have a home, i can understand getting a dog (for home protection) and a cat (for pest control).

My old apartment was almost the same square footage as the house I grew up in here---my parents' house is tiny. We still had a dog. Dogs don't really need a lot of indoor space if you take them out a lot. (Or if they are lazy dogs like mine was.)

I have two cats in my coop now---the best pest control. I can do with one but we ended up helping someone out and adopting the second one too.

As for the dog poop, I see it a lot around where I live too---some blocks I can tell you are awful---must be the same jerks walking their dogs and leaving the poop behind. And my neighborhood is "nice" but the thing is people are jerks and no one gets in trouble for it ever so they figure, why bother? Why is it when it snows no one picks up after their dogs and there are just piles of **** everywhere? I remember one time my dog had diarrhea when I was walking him and I couldn't clean up after him and I felt so guilty leaving it behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City