Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:41 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

2) Technology has gotten to the point where it can be used to replace a lot of heretofore human performed tasks, and really cut headcount.

The Target by me in Ct, with far fewer customers, has far more staff every hour, every day, than the Bronx Target I am in a few times a week.

Bronx one has several times the quantity of self serve checkouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 03:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
so in other words, numbers pulled out of thin air, to put it politely.
at what point do low skilled labor (i.e. fast food workers) get automated by machines? at whatever point that is, all that's need are a couple of people to operate a McD's, and then you'd have a ton of people out of work.

bleeding heart leftists and their utopian dreams where everyone gets paid some unsustainable hourly wage... smh...

I went to a cinema a few months ago. Only one human was selling tickets. Everyone else was forced to use a machine and another human was helping people. There used to be 4 people there. The one helping was not a minimum wage type so 3 minimum wage people lost their jobs.

Minimum wage as doubled over the past few years and yet poverty has only gone down slightly. This is because more of the minimum wage people are getting fewer hours and some might even be losing their jobs. So overall poverty remains unchanged.

Why not more focus on upgrading the skill levels of NYers. It is sad that people opposed Amazons HQ2, in part because they anticipated hordes of transplants gobbling up those promised 25k jobs. How come they didn't think that NYers could have been assisted into the industry so that 25k new jobs didn't mean 25k new transplants.

It amazes me how many employers complain that they cannot find employees with the right levels of literacy/numeracy and cognitive skills. Maybe because some think that the black and brown need only to be mindlessly pushing buttons at minimum wage. A 30 y/o should NOT be working at a minimum wage job.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmo.../#155308b21468

it's only a matter of time...

what moronic leftists don't understand, or don't care about, is as wages are artificially increased, either:
  • hours decrease/headcount reduced
  • jobs become automated
  • businesses close
govt is basically using legalized extortion to tell a business owner how much he should pay an employee, as if it weren't already hard enough to keep a business afloat.

And all of the above have occurred because poverty rates haven't declined that much, despite the massive increase in the minimum wage.

I certainly support the fact that a minimum wage shouldn't be a starvation wage but I am also of the belief that a 30 y/o shouldn't be in a job with this kind of pay. They are because the usually lack the hard/soft skills to do better, or they are locked out of networks where they can find better opportunities.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:11 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And all of the above have occurred because poverty rates haven't declined that much, despite the massive increase in the minimum wage.

I certainly support the fact that a minimum wage shouldn't be a starvation wage but I am also of the belief that a 30 y/o shouldn't be in a job with this kind of pay. They are because the usually lack the hard/soft skills to do better, or they are locked out of networks where they can find better opportunities.

If you work full time at minimum wage (using $15/hr.) that's $43,800 per year. Not much but not far off from what many with full time regular jobs earn. There are NYC civil service jobs that pay same or even less (much less).

Thing is many working at these jobs are doing so only part-time and or employer does not offer enough hours to remotely come close to making enough to live upon. This is why many who rely solely upon minimum wage jobs usually have one or more side jobs (on or off the books) that makes up the difference.

Consider also many minimum wage jobs (such as retail) aren't what they once were.

Back in the day if you wanted to work say part-time at GAP, Bloomingdales or whatever they gave you a solid schedule that equaled 20 or so hours per week. Now places often staff by on call or other just in time scheduling. Meaning if they move people around to suit anticipated demand. If they don't think things will be busy less are called in, and or their schedule moved about to accommodate. Problem is many cannot roll with this such as single parents, those in school, those who have other jobs.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Problem is many cannot roll with this such as single parents, those in school, those who have other jobs.

Which is why those who are concerned about poverty should be concerned about upgrading the skills of NYers. Its indeed a shock that many native born NYers have less human capital than do many immigrants.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Anybody working for retail in NYC knows it's better to get paid cash than take a W2.

That is until they reach 67 and discover that there is no Social Security for them.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:45 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
That is until they reach 67 and discover that there is no Social Security for them.
Exactly!

But have no fear, the liberal, progressive democrat policies of NYS and NYC has their back. These "poor" seniors will get free/subsidized housing, Medicaid, and host of other services.

However not all of these people are poor. A good number own property back in their home country (China, DR, etc..), but for some bizarre reason city doesn't count those assets.

One reason you are seeing more and more elderly Chinese in NYCHA senior housing is they came here as immigrants (legal or whatever), and spent their working lives earning off the books. As such they usually get bare quarters social security or nothing at all. So they are busted or darn near in old age as apparently they didn't save much either.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:48 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
At some point, everyone who hits 67 will find that there's no Social Security for them. But that's another thread.

Quote:

Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
There's always welfare and food stamps from NYC.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
And I do, so I don't see your point.
The minimum wage lifers are the ones that don't. Instead, they expect that their minimum skill jobs be able to support their family of 4.

Again, minimum skill jobs pay minimum wages. It is a stepping stone to better jobs. I should not expect to be paid a middle class wage taking fast food orders and flipping burgers, things that anybody can do. It is not a highly specialized or labor intensive work.

Do explain how it does anything for the poor. I'm waiting with baited breath.

And that's exactly what's happening. Businesses are closing. Jobs are being automated away.

There are certain expenses that you have control over. When material X becomes too expensive, you substitute it with a cheaper material Y. When you no longer can lower your expenses, you start increasing your prices which will negatively affect your bottom line.

When the govt is constantly increasing with the labor portion of your expenses, it becomes incredibly difficult to do business.

Overnight, the cost of employing a worker increases by 20% or more, and you have not gained 20% more productivity out of him/her.
My point is, is pointless to bring up how much other people make when talking about minimum wage. Or whether they can do something to earn more money. That is a different topic from whether there should be a minimum wage or how much minimum wage should be.

Increasing the minimum wage will give the minimum wage earner more money. That is how it helps the poor, if they have a minimum wage job. Now of course there are factors that will affect how much effect that has, but this is also a different topic. As I stated, still a positive step in the right direction.

Jobs will be automated away regardless of whether an increase happens, or if a minimum wage exists. Business can increase the price/cost of living on consumers, and it becomes increasing difficult for laborers to survive without gov't assistance, while owners make more and more. Why does everything have to favor the owners all the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City