Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:14 PM

606 posts, read 419,070 times

Advertisements

So I am a relatively new LPN. I have had no trouble finding work. However, it feels like there isn't much securoty in healthcare. I am working in homecare on a case I like, but that won't last forever.

I've been wondering if things are getting bad for nurses. The whole 1:20 or 1:30 or 1:40 ratio for nurse to patient in LTCs seems insane. I really don't see how the field isn't buckling already. And it's really hard to find new grads employed anywhere for long. What will happen when no one is left once nurses start retiring? And in the nursing vhomes I've been to a lot of the older nurses are bitter and miserable and don't want to help out newer nurses. The environment seems cut throat.

There's slightly more opportunities for the RN but I have a few RN friends and things seem to be equally bad for them. Then there's the issue of taxes. I as a single female get taxed to high heaven and will be leaving in 2019 partly due to it.

It almost makes me scared to be a nurse in this city. I wonder if the grass is greener on the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 04:05 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
So I am a relatively new LPN. I have had no trouble finding work. However, it feels like there isn't much securoty in healthcare. I am working in homecare on a case I like, but that won't last forever.

I've been wondering if things are getting bad for nurses. The whole 1:20 or 1:30 or 1:40 ratio for nurse to patient in LTCs seems insane. I really don't see how the field isn't buckling already. And it's really hard to find new grads employed anywhere for long. What will happen when no one is left once nurses start retiring? And in the nursing vhomes I've been to a lot of the older nurses are bitter and miserable and don't want to help out newer nurses. The environment seems cut throat.

There's slightly more opportunities for the RN but I have a few RN friends and things seem to be equally bad for them. Then there's the issue of taxes. I as a single female get taxed to high heaven and will be leaving in 2019 partly due to it.

It almost makes me scared to be a nurse in this city. I wonder if the grass is greener on the other side.
I think things in general are getting worse for medical practitioners. Overworked, underpaid, and constantly having to toe the line when it comes to new regulations. When my mom was dying in the hospital, it seemed like the nurses truly did more work than doctors though. And when the doctors came around, they didn't even speak to her... they toted around their wheeling computer "bays" and spoke amongst each other referring to her, but not speaking to her. It was so dehumanizing and awful and left me deeply mistrustful of doctors.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:33 PM

I'm really sorry to hear that. That's awful.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:46 PM

Oh, it was disgusting. I wanted to spit in their faces (which I would NEVER do); just the lack of respect towards her on a human level was staggering. Here she was, lying in bed and dying of cancer, COPD, a heart attack and later pneumonia and they're just all huddled around her, pointing to their screen and talking ABOUT her. It was honestly such a display of everything wrong with the medical community.

The nurses on the other hand were all wonderful. Caring, empathetic, hard working. Just amazing. Nothing but respect to nurses.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Nurses aren't always perfect either. Behind the scenes I've seen a lot of miserable and overworked nurses. And the environment isn't welcoming to new grads. If I had better options I'd be on my way out.

The nursing home where I was let go is currently under investigation because 5 people died on the same floor. Recent too. It's a good thing I was outta there months earlier. And the nursing home is in a wealthy area too.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:10 PM

Oh my god, that is awful. Those poor people

Old 01-01-2019, 10:34 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Nurses aren't always perfect either. Behind the scenes I've seen a lot of miserable and overworked nurses. And the environment isn't welcoming to new grads. If I had better options I'd be on my way out.

The nursing home where I was let go is currently under investigation because 5 people died on the same floor. Recent too. It's a good thing I was outta there months earlier. And the nursing home is in a wealthy area too.
I spend a lot of time at a nursing home. One is many seem to actually care about the residents. I understand they are over worked and under paid but it breaks my heart. Nursing homes are were the residents come to live their last years and are treated like a number and a chore. I wish they mandated more workers per residents so they could be treated like individuals and enjoy their final years as much as possible. The lucky residents have family and friends who visit them and are a voice for them. The ones without anyone are **** out of luck.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

Newsflash, there are going to be issues with any job and any field anywhere. If you really want to be in nursing make it work for you.

And while nursing may not pay what executives on Wall Street make, both RNs and LPNs mané above the minimum wage. Stressful work of course, but that goes with the job. Some people aren’t cut out for it, same as any other job.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:

How is that different than any other profession? We all get taxed here and I get "taxed more" as a married female than I did as a single one.

LTCs have always been understaffed. Nursing homes aren't the only places with bitter and miserable workers that don't want to help out---that is everywhere.

RNs here make more money than most four year degree graduates in health care and most of the ones I know have more than one job and making six figures.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Some states have mandatory staffing ratios - has there been any progress on that in NY? 1199 is a big union, but their power seems to be limited. I spent my whole life hearing about how powerful unions are and how union employees write their own tickets, but that doesn't seem to be the case with that union. The hospitals cut more and more staff and patient care is definitely affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City