Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:33 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Landlord just like tenants come in good and bad.
Example:
A tenant rents a clean and painted apartment and cares for it . A landlord's dream tenant.
A tenant gives an apartment back to the landlord the way they got it and sometimes with improvements.
Screw with the apartment/rent and the landlord screws with you by taking you to court or kicking you out.
Same goes for tenants.
If they are good and help out, landlord reciprocates by not raising the rent and they get along like family.
If the landlord screws with a nice tenant as in this example by continuously raising the rent or harassing for every little
teat and fart, the tenant reciprocates by leaving.

Bottom line: Any tenant can sit there and complain about anything and everything.
In the end the land lord owns the property. He or his family worked long and hard to earn it .
Tenants did not. It is his box you are renting not yours.
Accept the truth. You can like it, pay for it and respect it,
or you can leave it and become your own landlord.

Hi Mr. Retired - to clarify, in this example I am the landlord, who has been raising rent by $20 per month with each annual rent renewal. That pretty much equals not raising rent, since my cost of maintaining the place has gone up definitely by more than $20 per month every year (it is actually going up by about $70 per month in 2019). The tenant had the complete run of the place, I never complained of anything at all that she did. Then she did stuff that I cannot describe without possibly disclosing her identity (in addition to non-payment of rent), really major rent violations. So I won't rent any more, to her or to anybody. Again, an example of how many of the poor abuse a given opportunity and then complain about lack of opportunity. This woman could have saved so much money by renting from me (rather than directly from Parkchester) that (if she had indeed saved) she could have put a down payment on a small condo in Parkchester and become an owner rather than a renter.... oh no, but it is far easier to, say, come on this forum and go on about how pathetic it is to own a condo in Parkchrster, to spend on designer footwear, stop paying rent, and defend the non-payment with the statement "I don't have money". My repeat experience as a landlord in the Bronx suggests that there is an enormous population of people there who find it entirely normal and fair to take things (like a housing), without paying for them, and not having money perfectly justifies that action. Well, they can continue doing that while they can, but I am no longer participating, my condo is no longer in that rental market. Eventually, when the poor push too far (which is just about now), a majority of people who COULD help the poor if the poor wouldn't be screwing them, will stop participating... see the most recent presidential election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 03:56 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Hi Mr. Retired - to clarify, in this example I am the landlord, who has been raising rent by $20 per month with each annual rent renewal. That pretty much equals not raising rent, since my cost of maintaining the place has gone up definitely by more than $20 per month every year (it is actually going up by about $70 per month in 2019). The tenant had the complete run of the place, I never complained of anything at all that she did. Then she did stuff that I cannot describe without possibly disclosing her identity (in addition to non-payment of rent), really major rent violations. So I won't rent any more, to her or to anybody. Again, an example of how many of the poor abuse a given opportunity and then complain about lack of opportunity. This woman could have saved so much money by renting from me (rather than directly from Parkchester) that (if she had indeed saved) she could have put a down payment on a small condo in Parkchester and become an owner rather than a renter.... oh no, but it is far easier to, say, come on this forum and go on about how pathetic it is to own a condo in Parkchrster, to spend on designer footwear, stop paying rent, and defend the non-payment with the statement "I don't have money". My repeat experience as a landlord in the Bronx suggests that there is an enormous population of people there who find it entirely normal and fair to take things (like a housing), without paying for them, and not having money perfectly justifies that action. Well, they can continue doing that while they can, but I am no longer participating, my condo is no longer in that rental market. Eventually, when the poor push too far (which is just about now), a majority of people who COULD help the poor if the poor wouldn't be screwing them, will stop participating... see the most recent presidential election.

I am 100% on your side.
I was a landlord of a multifamily dwelling for over 20 years.
My rents were $200-$300 below normal rents.
I told them straight out on a handshake.
"I keep the rents low you keep your mouth shut."
Most of my tenants were able to move on and buy their own homes.
They still call me today and thank me for being such a good landlord.
Most tenants were there over 10 years. Speaks volumes.
I have had a few bad tenants in between. Short stays.
Even with the low rents some tenants were conniving, deceitful and
left without paying rent. That was towards the beginning and end of my ownership.
The laws are geared towards the tenant not the landlord.
I was getting pitches from the city willing to pay me $4,000
a month for Section 8 Housing. Enticing? To only a fool.
Heck no way............not until the laws change in my favor.
New York has little respect for any land owner.
New York can learn from other states.
You will be out on your behind if you do not pay your rent on time.
When I retired I said screw it. The city doesn't have my back. The tenants can care less.
Swapped out for one family living and said let them buy their own house.
I am too old to be a landlord in New York and put up with these all law knowing skunks.
I am more happy to pass the baton challenge to the younger crowd willing to bite the bullet.
If I ever decide to purchase a home in the future to generate income it will never, never ever be in New York.
It will be some place nice,quiet,respectful low crime,church going and middle class.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:58 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Sorry but it seems like you were a poor landlord.

Your overhead went up but you didn't increase the tenant's rent.

raising rent by $20 per month with each annual rent renewal. That pretty much equals not raising rent, since my cost of maintaining the place has gone up definitely by more than $20 per month every year (it is actually going up by about $70 per month in 2019).

Basically the tenant did whatever she wanted. Did you create a contract? Request 1 month's deposit?

The tenant had the complete run of the place, I never complained of anything at all that she did. Then she did stuff that I cannot describe without possibly disclosing her identity (in addition to non-payment of rent), really major rent violations.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:12 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I mean, there’s already a lot of neighborhoods heavily changing right now. I guess in terms of number of people and jobs, it’ll be Hudson Yards as many of those are still just under construction but 2019 will be seeing a large number of openings and move-ins.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Sorry but it seems like you were a poor landlord.

Your overhead went up but you didn't increase the tenant's rent.

raising rent by $20 per month with each annual rent renewal. That pretty much equals not raising rent, since my cost of maintaining the place has gone up definitely by more than $20 per month every year (it is actually going up by about $70 per month in 2019).

Basically the tenant did whatever she wanted. Did you create a contract? Request 1 month's deposit?

The tenant had the complete run of the place, I never complained of anything at all that she did. Then she did stuff that I cannot describe without possibly disclosing her identity (in addition to non-payment of rent), really major rent violations.

Did I create a contract? Of course, a standard New York lease form, with riders specific to my apartment, signed by both parties. She ignored it.

Did I request one-month deposit? Of course. Did I return it? Of course I didn't :-)... which deposit didn't remotely cover the damages she caused, but I am nevertheless receiving what sounds like physical threats for keeping the deposit.

Right, I am a greedy landlord if I increase the rent to keep up with the apartment maintenance costs costs, but I am a poor landlord if I don't (I didn't increase rent because rent income didn't matter to me, a decent tenant did. But all you low-income guys who come on this forum complaining about NYC landlords, all you people like her: you are not remotely that - not decent. So, go live under the bridge as far as I am concerned).

Old 01-01-2019, 04:32 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Did I create a contract? Of course, a standard New York lease form, with riders specific to my apartment, signed by both parties. She ignored it.

Did I request one-month deposit? Of course. Did I return it? Of course I didn't :-)... which deposit didn't remotely cover the damages she caused, but I am nevertheless receiving what sounds like physical threats for keeping the deposit.

Right, I am a greedy landlord if I increase the rent to keep up with the apartment maintenance costs costs, but I am a poor landlord if I don't (I didn't increase rent because rent income didn't matter to me, a decent tenant did. But all you low-income guys who come on this forum complaining about NYC landlords, all you people like her: you are not remotely that - not decent. So, go live under the bridge as far as I am concerned).
Who said you were a greedy landlord??

At the end of the day, business is business. It seems like you were trying to be a nice guy with the rent and got burnt.

The rent was at a low 1K so increasing it to cover the increased maintenance cost doesn't seem like greed to me. It's pretty fair.

You should never try real estate management again. You seem very emotional.

But all you low-income guys who come on this forum complaining about NYC landlords, all you people like her: you are not remotely that - not decent. So, go live under the bridge as far as I am concerned

Old 01-01-2019, 05:00 PM

Sorry for moving slightly off topic (although I stayed very minimally on topic: Parkchester, the Bronx has just moved up financially by two very tiny notches, after one low-income person brokered her own "displacement", and one professional person decided to use her former minimum-investment property as her own pied-a-terre, sooner than she planned :-). I think it is impossible to tell which area is up and coming, not in a single year, sometimes not even after it has 50% already happened. A hundred years ago, still within the lifetime of the oldest Americans, Los Angeles had horses grazing on the future Hollywood Blvd, a bunch of grizzled old ranchers, and a bunch of young crazies playing with some Edison contraption that would make images look like they are moving. Who could tell there was going to be a large trendy city there 20 years later, and people in the moving images would be able to even talk?

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-01-2019 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 05:07 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Examples:
I would keep my eye on the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to the now neighborhoods that are out of reach. ( Maspeth )
I would keep an eye on neighborhoods where new modes of transportation have been or will be implemented ( Rockaways )

Old 01-01-2019, 05:11 PM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
What is up and coming?

What I am seeing is very unhappy people realizing they have been duped into moving the NYC to begin with and realize they have been used as cover/foliage for another purpose.

What I dislike are the clowns who moves out of state and pretend where they are living is better. When in reality they have been hoaxed into neighborhoods that have been arranged for them. Even the low-brow nursing homes, and jails. Like a celebrity retirement complex, paid for by the same fans who spend there wage filling there pockets. It is really a trap.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:11 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
I neither think that I am, nor did I try to charge it ($ 1,000 per month for a studio is not a large rent in NYC to my knowledge), but I think a landlord is entitled to the expectation that the renter will honor the terms of the lease. I didn't mind the tenant's payment of low rent, but I started minding it when she stopped paying rent altogether.
If you charged $1000 for your studio, then I assume your renter earns $40,000/year?
(That's what most landlords would require).
That's not exactly "low income" per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City